Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Admiral Lord Collingwood.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Admiral Lord Collingwood.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Brady View Post
    No Fouro never heard of one never mind getting one.I can see by your post's you definitely were a DUX medallist.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    Hello Jim, I only meant what I said to be a bit of jovial banter.

A DUX Medal was the top academic prize at the school I attended.
    This prestigious award was presented yearly to the top scholar of the school.
    It didn't concern me as I wasn't intelligent enough.

Fouro.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fouro I had taken it as harmless banter all along but I thought that last one was making me out tobe a bit thick.
    Regards.
    jim.B.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

3. Thanks Fouro thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Brady View Post
    Fouro I had taken it as harmless banter all along but I thought that last one was making me out tobe a bit thick.
    Regards.
    jim.B.
    To Jim,
    What you thought is as far from the truth as I can imagine.

Regards from,
    Fouro

5. Thanks Jim Brady thanked for this post
    Likes Jim Brady liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I remember three great events as a Sea Cadet (Southend-On-Sea, Essex, Division): A week at HMS Ganges. I was billeted on the top floor of a two story dormitory. There were three dorms: Hero, Hardy, and Hunter. I think I was in Hunter. The lower floor decided it would be great fun to attack us in a pillow fight. Our floor fought back and it become stuck as a battle on the stairs, someone from our floor filled a bucket with water and tossed it over the attackers, pillows were dropped and it turned into a real battle royal. Until the real life Royal Marines arrived. Two of em! A bunch of us got a swift kick in the butt, and or a slap around the ears. Back into bed, lights out, a right bol@#$king and not a peep out of anyone. A rumor went around that we would have a passing out parade and our dorm, both floors involve, would have to climb the huge mast on the parade ground, and stand at parade rest on different spars. I dreaded the thought of it as I hate heights. It never happened though. The last event I remember I was working the turn and the elevation of a bofor-gun (I think it was) and smacked a cadet in the head with the barrel. Not my fault really, he wandered in front. Maybe that's why I became a cook.

Another trip to Chatham docks. And I got to have a go on the periscope and took aim on HMS Cleopatra and gave her three amidships (in my mind that is, and of course it was the Bismark I was sinking).

I was in a honor guard, linked arms, forming two lines, to stop the crowd from mobbing a female movie star, attending the premier of some movie at the Odeon in the High St. in Southend. It couldn't have been much of hit as I can't remember what it was. Anyway, A limo pulls-up, and this drop-dead gorgeous female gets out an walks slowly through the pathway between us Cadets. She's smiling, regally and I don't know what made me do it but I gave her a wink. She kind of paused, smiled, and gave a bloody huge wink back, a whopper. Later, all the other cadets, those who saw it and the others her heard about it, crowded around asking how come she winked at me. Naturally I told them something like it was my great looks and that I out shined everyone else.

Lastly I remember walking down York Rd. in uniform, and a Swedish officer passed (he off a visiting Swedish Navy vessel anchored off-shore in the Estuary) .
    I snapped a quick salute and he saluted back...man I felt so proud...I'd have enlisted for twenty years right there and then if they took thirteen year old.

Are the Sea Cadets and Sea Scouts still around? Or did they die-out along with radios that had valves and a portable radio was the size of a suitcase?

7. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=Rodney Mills;297245]I remember three great events as a Sea Cadet (Southend-On-Sea, Essex, Division): A week at HMS Ganges. I was billeted on the top floor of a two story dormitory. There were three dorms: Hero, Hardy, and Hunter. I think I was in Hunter. The lower floor decided it would be great fun to attack us in a pillow fight. Our floor fought back and it become stuck as a battle on the stairs, someone from our floor filled a bucket with water and tossed it over the attackers, pillows were dropped and it turned into a real battle royal. Until the real life Royal Marines arrived. Two of em! A bunch of us got a swift kick in the butt, and or a slap around the ears. Back into bed, lights out, a right bol@#$king and not a peep out of anyone. A rumor went around that we would have a passing out parade and our dorm, both floors involve, would have to climb the huge mast on the parade ground, and stand at parade rest on different spars. I dreaded the thought of it as I hate heights. It never happened though. The last event I remember I was working the turn and the elevation of a bofor-gun (I think it was) and smacked a cadet in the head with the barrel. Not my fault really, he wandered in front. Maybe that's why I became a cook.

Another trip to Chatham docks. And I got to have a go on the periscope and took aim on HMS Cleopatra and gave her three amidships (in my mind that is, and of course it was the Bismark I was sinking).

I was in a honor guard, linked arms, forming two lines, to stop the crowd from mobbing a female movie star, attending the premier of some movie at the Odeon in the High St. in Southend. It couldn't have been much of hit as I can't remember what it was. Anyway, A limo pulls-up, and this drop-dead gorgeous female gets out an walks slowly through the pathway between us Cadets. She's smiling, regally and I don't know what made me do it but I gave her a wink. She kind of paused, smiled, and gave a bloody huge wink back, a whopper. Later, all the other cadets, those who saw it and the others her heard about it, crowded around asking how come she winked at me. Naturally I told them something like it was my great looks and that I out shined everyone else.

Lastly I remember walking down York Rd. in uniform, and a Swedish officer passed (he off a visiting Swedish Navy vessel anchored off-shore in the Estuary) .
    I snapped a quick salute and he saluted back...man I felt so proud...I'd have enlisted for twenty years right there and then if they took thirteen year old.

Are the Sea Cadets and Sea Scouts still around? Or did they die-out along with radios that had valves and a portable radio was the size of a suitcase?[/Q
    Hi Rodney, I've lived in the area since 1962 and know all the places you talk about, the sea cadets are still going strong in the area now with as many girls as boys
    in the ranks it's the same with the army and air force cadets. York road and Southchurch road are much different to when you knew them as they are often in the
    Evening Echo for the wrong reason seems to be a troublesome area now with druggies and alcies, Southend United (Shrimpers) now sit 13th in league one and have
    just changed their manager. Cheers JFC

9. Thanks Rodney Mills thanked for this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3