Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: change the guard at buckingham palace

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default change the guard at buckingham palace

for the FIRST TIME the Royal Navy is guarding Buckingham Palace today

The Royal Navy will perform their first Changing the Guard ceremony at Buckingham Palace on November 26 (Andrew Milligan/PA)
    Sailors from the Royal Navy are getting ready to perform their first Changing the Guard at Buckingham Palace.

Eighty-six sailors from 45 Royal Navy Ships and establishments have been learning the intricate routines and drill movements needed for the historic royal guarding duties at the Queen’s London residence.

They are also preparing for ceremonial guarding at Windsor Castle, St James’s Palace and the Tower of London.

The duty traditionally falls to one of the five Foot Guards Regiments from the Army’s Household Division, but this is believed to be the first time the Royal Navy are mounting the Queen’s Guard.

Other members of the Naval Service – The Royal Marines – have completed the Queen’s Guard on three occasions.

The sailors will be dressed in pristine navy blue double breasted greatcoats with white belts, white caps, white gaiters and black boots.

The Royal Navy Changing the Guard will take place at the Palace on Sunday November 26, followed by Windsor Castle on Monday November 27.

“To be the conducting Warrant Officer for the first mount ever in the Royal Navy is a massive privilege and an honour to do, I’m really looking forward to it.”

Lieutenant Commander Steve Elliott, 44,, will lead the sailors in the role of Captain of the Queen’s Guard – believed to be the first in the Royal Navy since Sir Walter Raleigh in 1587.

Lt Cdr Elliott said: “As we march out of Wellington Barracks for the first time I’m fairly sure everyone will grow a good eight to 10 inches.

“It’s great to do this ceremonial piece and have the Royal Navy back in the public eye as well as act as a capstone to the year of the Royal Navy.”

Hundreds of tourists gather to watch the colourful spectacle of the Changing the Guard ceremonies at Buckingham Palace an

During the ceremony, which is also known as Guard Mounting, the Old Guard – the guards currently on duty – line up in front of the Palace and are replaced by the New Guard which arrives from Wellington Barracks.

The New Guard is accompanied by a Band or Corps of Drums and the ceremony represents a formal handover of responsibilities.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by robpage; 26th November 2017 at 10:37 AM.
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: change the guard at buckingham palace

Quote Originally Posted by robpage View Post
    for the FIRST TIME the Royal Navy is guarding Buckingham Palace today
    Saw them practising on TV, well drilled, but would have looked better without the PC of having a miniscule female Lt Cdr at the head of the parade and the matelots had been placed in rows of the same height, rather than the parade being like a mismatched wave of varying heights. Reminds me of the old adage 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' The household guards have been doing an excellent job for centuries and are what the tourists expect to see.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    Saw them practising on TV, well drilled, but would have looked better without the PC of having a miniscule female Lt Cdr at the head of the parade and the matelots had been placed in rows of the same height, rather than the parade being like a mismatched wave of varying heights. Reminds me of the old adage 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' The household guards have been doing an excellent job for centuries and are what the tourists expect to see.
    ###well i suppose if they all grow another 8 to10 inches ...all hands will want to be in that parade ...cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

images (2).jpg

I would think they would regard being called Sea Cadets as an insult
    Last edited by robpage; 26th November 2017 at 12:56 PM.
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A bit soft I know.
    but.
    I was quite proud of my sea cadet Grandson, he was chosen to stand on one of the four corners of the "War Memorial" at Worthing West Sussex on the "Armistice Day" service this year.
    Graham R774640

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bengy Roberts View Post
    prob sea cadets,was there any chance of that BENGY
    No chance of that, they were all mature serving seamen, drawn from the crew of the AC Queen Elizabeth

7. Likes Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by graham payne View Post
    a bit soft i know.
    But. :d
    i was quite proud of my sea cadet grandson, he was chosen to stand on one of the four corners of the "war memorial" at worthing west sussex on the "armistice day" service this year.
    ##and all credit to him what an honour for a young man

9. Thanks Graham Payne thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Payne View Post
    A bit soft I know.
    but.
    I was quite proud of my sea cadet Grandson, he was chosen to stand on one of the four corners of the "War Memorial" at Worthing West Sussex on the "Armistice Day" service this year.
    what a proud moment , I Think that the SEA Cadets are a great organisation

11. Thanks Graham Payne thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Sea Cadets are an excellent organisation.
    I was one for four years before going to sea. Learned a lot of Seamanship there, spent a lot of time on RN ships. from Portsmouth.
    35,000 TON Battleship HMS DUKE OF YORK, she sank the Scharnhorst, 10,000 cruisers HMS DIDO and SIRIUS,
    HMS DOLPHIN Submarines , and Fleet Air Arm Stations.
    etc
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 26th November 2017 at 05:44 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

##8 sadly your facts are wrong
    Royal Navy sailors set for a historic first as they guard the Queen - The News
    They are not from one single ship
    Last edited by Bill Cameron; 26th November 2017 at 06:24 PM.

14. Thanks Captain Kong, N/A thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast