Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Look out Spain

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Look out Spain

Four Royal Navy warships, including HMS Illustrious and HMS Westminster, the lead commando group from 3 Commando Brigade Royal Marines and elements of naval air squadrons will be supported by six vessels from the Royal Fleet Auxiliary.These are heading for Gibraltar

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/def...pain-1-5369419
    Last edited by Bill Cameron; 9th August 2013 at 08:37 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i'm surprized we don't hit them in the pocket. refuse to pay any thing in the EC that goes to spain.and veto holiday travel to there
    Backsheesh runs the World
    people talking about you is none of your business
    R397928

Cebu, Philippines district of Punta Princessa.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Spain

spain and argentina both get uppity. typical.
    Tony Wilding

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default EU Border crossings

I always thought that the advent of the European Union meant that you could cross borders between member states without let or hindrance.
    Excuse me for being thick but I do believe that both Spain and the U.K. (Gibralter being a crown state of the U.K.) are both in the E.U. So are the dago's going against E.U. law by trying to impose tariffs on border crossing between Gib and Spain?
    Believe they are moaning about fishing rights or something which is a bit rich coming from a country that has brought up many of the U.K. fishing licences. Go round the South Coast and the number of Spanish fishing boats with the nominal one Brit on board is amazing and they regularly seem to get caught for illegal net sizes with very little of the fish landed appearing on the U.K. market, most of it into trucks and of to Espaniola.
    rgds
    JA

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

no corned dog or Spanish fly then

john sutton Guest

gibralter is not a full member of the EU(I don't know the full details).You will be aware that only 200 cigarettes are allowed if bought in Gib and there is a major smuggling situation with cigarettes between Gib and Spain.
    There are people living down here who go to Gib to grocery shop because they still want English labels when everything that we need can be obtained in Spanish supermarkets.
    Don't be too hard on the Spanish they are usually very tolerant which you can see if you come to spain and see the number of English registered vehicles with no road tax and probably no valid insurance,as they obviously have no MOT.
    john Sutton
    british and proud of it
    Spanish resident

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I recently came from Germany by coach, and did not encounter any border checks at all, the only time was when we went to catch the chunnel train, you have to go through custome checks, by British customs on French soil. I guess thats because of illegals entering UK, and if caught they are handed over to the French (who let them go), once they get through to British soil no one wants them back. So i guess the Spanish are only doing a similar thing, KT

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john sutton View Post
    Don't be too hard on the Spanish they are usually very tolerant which you can see if you come to spain and see the number of English registered vehicles with no road tax and probably no valid insurance,as they obviously have no MOT.
    john Sutton
    british and proud of it
    Spanish resident
    Spain is broke....Gibraltar is not ...simples!!

See this article

BBC News - EU warns Spain over hospitals' rejection of EU health card

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Agreement

Quote Originally Posted by John Arton View Post
    I always thought that the advent of the European Union meant that you could cross borders between member states without let or hindrance.
    Excuse me for being thick but I do believe that both Spain and the U.K. (Gibralter being a crown state of the U.K.) are both in the E.U. So are the dago's going against E.U. law by trying to impose tariffs on border crossing between Gib and Spain?

JA
    John, Rob will come up with the correct name and details, but there is an agreement which Britain did not sign Zenebogen Agreement (or similar) where-in Countries in the EU allow free passage of their nationals without let or hinderance at all land based borders (including airports, but not sea ports). Britain did not become party to this agreement being an Island Nation and wanted full control of its own borders, it would seem that Spain is legally within its rights but outside the spirit of agreement as Gibraltar is not an island but an isthmus. But then again we are probably the only country within the EU that plays by the rules and it's about time we threw away the rule book.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think its called the schengen agreement

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast