Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Look out Spain

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default They were going to gib anyway ?

A spokesman for the Ministry of Defence said: ‘The Royal Navy’s annual Cougar deployment is long-planned and well-established.

‘Gibraltar is a strategic base for UK defence and as such Royal Navy ships visit its waters throughout the year as part of a range of regular and routine deployments.’

The Ministry of Defence (MOD) has announced the convoy, which includes HMS Westminster and the Royal Fleet Auxiliary ships, will visit the British Territory on its way to naval exercises in the Mediterranean.

An MOD spokesman stressed the arrival of the vessels in Gibraltar later this month was not a reaction to the ongoing diplomatic dispute.

?

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To think the Spanish did not know of this months ago is hard to believe, I think its for domestic consumption as the government are embroiled in a huge corruption scandal and theres nothing better to divert attention then a good old nationalist cause just like the Falklands.

leratty Guest

Ian you are correct it is the Schengen Agreement. Must say I have never been checked by immigration as we are used too elsewhere thoroughly, often they just wave me through including in London arriving by air. Most times not even looking at the passport other times just a cursory glance, but my wife has & it frustrates her to hell. I always say come through with me then we just tell them (truthfully) we are man & wife..she does sometimes not a problem others it is, go figure? CDG is an example there is always a Gendarme at end of finger off aircraft just a glance at passport if anything & then in immigration hall the same?
    I do wonder how many staff they would need for all the trains & coaches that traverse the EU every day crossing boarders all over the place.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Apparently the Spaniards and the Argentinians are going to join forces at the UN and try and force a resolution decrying the UK as colonial conquerors, and they want their land back.
    It looks like the heat is going to be turned up on the Gibraltar and the Falklands very soon.
    Watch this space as they say.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Maritime Steps etc:

Gibraltar has been a British territory for 300 years but Spain disputes UK sovereignty over the rocky outcrop on its southern tip. Recently deep social problems based on high and rising unemployment in Spain have dominated Spain’s news outlets – Gibraltar is being used as a distraction by Spain’s Prime Minister Rajoy to escape the grim economic and social realities his country is mired in. This is a similar tactic to Argentina’s Kirchner who rants and raves about the Falklands while her country crumbles around her.

Last time on Gib remember a WW2 plane, it had made an emergency landing during the war, but was to big to take off again. At the time it was still there: Also was advised to try the Maritime Steps, sounded a good Idea: They were actually treacherous. Old and in decay from top to bottom. Once started there was no going back, with the odd ape about also worrying.

Would advise any one visiting not to put yourself in peril and go down the same way as you went up.

K.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Mediterranean Steps:

Mediterranean Steps:

Just looked up out of interest and though then told Maritime steps , they are actually the Mediterranean Steps:

Mediterranean Steps:

Length: 1400m

Difficulty: Hard

Time: 1 ˝ to 2 ˝ hours

This walk is steep and at times arduous, and not for people without a head for heights. Time is an important factor when negotiating this path. Early mornings are usually preferable, but during the summer months a late afternoon walk will provide the visitor with plenty of much-needed shade. The area is particularly appealing during the spring, when the visitor is greeted by an interesting and very beautiful array of flowers.

It was pretty, but taking your life in your hands ?

LINK: Visit Gibraltar - Upper Rock - Mediterranean Steps

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Spaniards

Sailed with Gallegos and Basques. Both were good seamen. Love their seafood and their wine is not bad.

The north of Spain is greener and prettier than the south.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Never did like europe, full of bleddy foreigners. I would never ever go there.
    Hit them in the wallet, ban All Spanish Holidays, thousands and thousands of hotel workers and the rest would all be unemployed, Millions of UK Pounds are poured into Spain every year. Spain would go back to being the Third World country it used to be. I guess we are too soft with these dagoes.
    Spain has posession of two places in North Africa, Ceuta is one, cant remember the other name. They have just refused to give them back. so what is their problem.
    Cheers
    Brian.

john sutton Guest

brian
    its mellila
    what about us poor penionistas?
    john sutton

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for that John.
    Look on the bright side, when the Spanish economy falls in a heap and it reverts back to the Third World, then the price of a drink will be so much cheaper. in the early 50s you could get drunk for a tanner. Some guys have all the Luck.
    Salud Hombre.
    Cheers
    Brian.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast