Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: HMS Edinburgh Decommissioning trip

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default HMS Edinburgh Decommissioning trip

HMS Edinburgh the last type 42 destroyer is in the Thames as I type, on her final trip as she will be decommissioned soon. Next week she will be in Leith, as well as getting the Freedom of the city, My branch of the Royal Naval Assoc The City of Edinburgh Branch along with another RNA branch West Lothian, are going to entertain 25 members of the crew to a night of free booze at my local RBL I am sure it will go well. I will also say thanks in advnce to the Senior Rates Messes for their kind invitation to come onboard for a beer or two as well 20 of us have accepted.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default A Merchant Navy ceremony in Tower Hill on Saturday

Watched by hundreds of people on both banks of the Thames, the Portsmouth-based warship glided under Tower Bridge - where she faced a barrage of camera flashes from eager tourists - and berthed alongside museum ship HMS Belfast, sister of her forebear which was sunk in the Arctic 71 years ago.

This month, the 70th Anniversary of the Battle of the Atlantic (BOA 70) will culminate with a series of events in Liverpool. The city was home to the Western Approaches Command in the Second World War – it was from here that the struggle against the German U-boat was successfully directed.

HMS Edinburgh will spend the next three weeks sailing around Britain: from London to the Scottish capital and finally Liverpool as part of a farewell tour, a goodbye not just to Edinburgh herself but also a class of ship which has served the Royal Navy with distinction, and paid the ultimate price in doing so on occasions: the Type 42 destroyer.

Edinburgh will continue Battle of the Atlantic commemorations by attending a Merchant Navy ceremony in Tower Hill on Saturday, and by joining up to two dozen warships in Liverpool later this month at the climax of events over the Spring Bank Holiday weekend; see the RN official Battle of the Atlantic website, Battle Of The Atlantic | Royal Navy for details.
    Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 10th May 2013 at 09:19 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hms Edinburgh was given the Freedom of the City yesterday, it was a beautiful day weatherwise, and the ship company excelled and upheld the good Naval Tradition.
    Sadly I am now hearing that certain bars would not serve some of the crew as they were in full dress uniform, pleas of we have just had the Freedom of the City, cut no ice with the jobs worths, what a slap in the face for those visiting sailors. I and my Royal Naval assoc. will try to make this up to some of them tonight

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Revoked

#3 These pubs and bars should have their licences revoked for insulting the Queens uniform, but it will never happen, because these jobsworths have never served anything but their own interests and in a mans world they wouldn't survive and you can bet your bottom dollar that the people who issue the licences are of the same ilk. What are all the foreign sailors visiting Liverpool going to think next week if the same ignorant attitude prevails, because most of those serving onboard these vessels will not be allowed ashore in mufti.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Under Forces regulations:

Under Forces regulations:

"Service personnel are not permitted to visit licensed premises in uniform without prior approval from the chain of command."

I am not defending it but, it seems to be the rule ?

Apparently, in 2008, Gordon Brown said members of the Armed Forces should be "encouraged to wear their uniform in public".

But it seems:

CHAPTER 38
    POLICY AND APPEARANCE

SECTION 1 - DRESS POLICY

e. Occasions on which Uniform is Not to be Worn.

(2) Visits to licensed premises (including when not consuming alcohol), except
    when specifically approved by the Chain of Command.

Of course, the differing forces wear different types of uniforms depending on what they are doing. If they were attending a funeral they may probably wearing a dress uniform and not be on official duty. But bar staff would be pretty ignorant of such distinctions.

To cover themselves it could be that landlords make an assumption that anyone in a uniform is on active duty and therefore barred by their employers from drinking whilst in uniform.

There was always a back room in our village pub years ago to cover all situations, the old bill were the worst.

K.
    Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 18th May 2013 at 01:19 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think it is because the Immigrants would object to it and find our Uniforms offensive.
    They do not like to see our men in uniform "they are killing our brothers in Afghanistan and Iraq." so we must not upset immigrants.
    I am also offended by my ****** neighbours who all wear Uniforms, that of the Taliban.
    Years ago nearly everyone wore uniforms in pubs. They were full of them. I havent seen a uniform of Soldier or Sailor or Airman for years.
    Brian.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Keith, permission was given to celebrate the ships company being awarded the Freedom of the City

Quote Originally Posted by Keith at Tregenna View Post
    Under Forces regulations:

"Service personnel are not permitted to visit licensed premises in uniform without prior approval from the chain of command."

I am not defending it but, it seems to be the rule ?

Apparently, in 2008, Gordon Brown said members of the Armed Forces should be "encouraged to wear their uniform in public".

But it seems:

CHAPTER 38
    POLICY AND APPEARANCE

SECTION 1 - DRESS POLICY

e. Occasions on which Uniform is Not to be Worn.

(2) Visits to licensed premises (including when not consuming alcohol), except
    when specifically approved by the Chain of Command.

Of course, the differing forces wear different types of uniforms depending on what they are doing. If they were attending a funeral they may probably wearing a dress uniform and not be on official duty. But bar staff would be pretty ignorant of such distinctions.

To cover themselves it could be that landlords make an assumption that anyone in a uniform is on active duty and therefore barred by their employers from drinking whilst in uniform.

There was always a back room in our village pub years ago to cover all situations, the old bill were the worst.

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Rules in peacetime

Hi shipmates, would this happen in pompey or for the Army in any garrison town? NO drink in uniform?????

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You very rarely see anyone in uniform in the Town , all transport between individual bases is by RN Buses ,
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Permission was given:

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cameron View Post
    Keith, permission was given to celebrate the ships company being awarded the Freedom of the City

But bar staff would be pretty ignorant of such distinctions.

K.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast