Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: scrapped warships

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default scrapped warships

Good afternoon Gentleman. Could anyone tell me what was the fate of the Royal Navy aircraft carrier 'INDOMITABLE' that lay anchored/moored mid-way between Portsmouth and the Isle of Wight for many years after the war? She seemed to have been there for ever, and even the Isle of Wight ferries would often go a bit closer to her than they should have, to give their passengers a good view. On one trip over to the Island I took a couple of photos of her, but, alas, they disappeared many moons ago. The length of time she was there, I thought the navy would have parked her in Elson Trot near where the Vanguard was laid up.
    Also on this theme, any-one know what happened to the French sailing ship Fourdroyant that was moored close to the ferry landing stage on the Gosport side of the harbour.
    Typical!! turn your back for 5 minutes, and the landscape changes.
    Cheers, Colin.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In October 1953 she was placed in unmaintained reserve. She was sold for scrap in 1955.dismantled at Faslane
    Last edited by robpage; 18th April 2013 at 04:33 PM.
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Foudroyant used to be used by Girl `sea scouts`, when I was in Portsmouth Harbour on HMS Duke of York we used to row alongside and looking up we could see up their skirts as they stood at the rails talking to us, Good seafaring training for 15 year old lads.
    Dont know what happened after.
    Brian.
    .;
    . Just googled, she was first HMS TRINCOMALEE.
    HMS Trincomalee

HMS Trincomalee was a 38 gun frigate built at Bombay for the British navy. The designer was a Jamsetjee Bomanjee. She was laid down in 1816 and launched in October 1817. Her dimensions were 180’x 40’ and of 1447 tons. She arrived in Britain after the cessation of the Napoleonic war and was immediately placed in ordinary until 1845.

She was then refitted and commissioned into service in 1847 for ten years. She served on the North American and West Indies station, helping to quell riots in Haiti and stop a threatened invasion of Cuba. Her main duties involved being on anti-slavery patrol. In 1849, she was despatched to Newfoundland and Labrador and recalled to Britain in 1850. In 1852 she sailed to join the Pacific Squadron on the west coast of America. On one journey to Alaska she was dressed overall to commemorate the crowning of Tsar Nicholas I. In October 1856, she was ordered home and her active service ceased.

In 1861, she was towed to Sunderland as tender for HMS Castor, a training ship, and was moved to West Hartlepool in 1862. In 1877, she was moved to Southampton as a drill ship. In 1895, she was reduced to reserve and used as a depot ship. She was sold in 1897 for breaking up. With the loss of HMS Foudroyant, she was saved by Mr Wheatley Cobb who purchased the ship as a replacement to the lost vessel. She was renamed Foudroyant to commemorate the lost ship and became a youth training vessel at Falmouth. On his death, the ship was presented to the Society for Nautical Research and towed to Portsmouth as accommodation for HMS Implacable. After World War Two, in which she was used as a store ship, she was demobilised to continue youth training under the auspices of the Foudroyant Trust. In 1986, she was closed as a training ship and the Trust decided to restore her to her original condition and return to her former name of HMS Trincomalee. She was taken to Hartlepool, where the HMS Warrior 1860 had been restored. The restoration has recently been completed and she is now on display in Jackson Dock, Hartlepool as HMS Trincomalee. She is the oldest floating British frigate and the second oldest floating ship in the world.
    The original Foudroyant was wrecked on Blackpool beach.
    Brian.
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 18th April 2013 at 07:09 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Funny how different countries dispose of their old warships. Here in Oz they are used as target practice and sunk, wher as in UK they go for scrap. Could add a few polis to them when they go maybe?
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default peeping tom

You randy old goat! You deserve to have 6 lashes across the fore-skin with a wet boot lace.

On the other hand, did you have a camera with you? haha
    Colin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I now have a vision of blue woolen stockings held up with pink suspenders and serge navy industrial pants , Oh No I'll never sleep tonight , Come back Nora Batty your Lisle stockings are missed by Brian
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default wishful thinking

Hi Rob, that randy ol goat Capn. Kong never confirmed, or denied whether or not he had a camera with him . Not that I would want to see what you are thinking of anyway!
    Cheers
    Colin
    p.s. what's the next home for Pompey, Southsea common?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry Colin , I couldnt afford a camera in those days,
    But I still have my memories, Those young 16 girls will be pushing 80 by now, I guess some of them will have a few memories.
    Cheers
    Brian.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default ooooh!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kong View Post
    Sorry Colin , I couldnt afford a camera in those days,
    But I still have my memories, Those young 16 girls will be pushing 80 by now, I guess some of them will have a few memories.
    Cheers
    Brian.
    and even bigger mammeries

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default young 'uns

don't forget the wrinkles, Capn.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast