Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Royal Navy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Royal Navy

Hope that this smokes out a few more RN or RNR Men and Women. When I came ashore from MN I found it was a big shock and it took me a couple of years to settle down to shore side ways of working that were totally alien to me. My Dads next door neighbour suggested I went along to HMS Sherwood in Nottingham. They Commissioned me a Acting Sub Lieutenant, made me president of the Bar, sent me away on some spectacular Royal Navy Training in Fire Fighting, NBCD and how to use a knife and fork!! I became an NCS Officer (Naval Control of Shipping) and best of all they made me “List one Liaison Officer” and my job was to meet with all the MN/RNR officers (mainly Mates) who were obliged to report to their nearest unit whilst on leave and they helped us with Navigation Training. I had a great time, The Senior Service and RNR Reservists are a great bunch and they made me very welcome. They speak a different but recognisable language to the MN but we have more in common than you would think.
    Best Regards Steve R770014 South Derbyshire RNR Retired.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default The Andrew

Hello Steve,

Thanks for your sentiments regarding the RN. I served for 12 years in the "Andrew" enjoyed every minute of it and I cant believe how quick the time has passed. I have seen some people (not on this site) who seem more than happy to knock the service.

I served two trips on Merchant Navy vessels whilst part of the RN in the early eighties - good lads everyone of them and a good experience for me.

My father spent 22 years in the Merchant Navy being torpedoed along the way. I am always happy to highlight the cause of the MN especially the war years - they were the salt of the earth , these guys.

Thanks again for your kind comments

Hugh

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi all.
    Spent sometime in the RNR,after leaving the MN.Didn't really enjoy the experience though.to much bull for my liking. The ex RN guys were good, it was all the other Pratt's that spoiled it for me.As there were times at sea, when there would be 4 or 5 working the ship the rest were in there bunks chucking everywhere.and trying to be sailors.Most were desk jockeys,and didn't have a clue!. The end came when i was charged with striking an officer.We were working the sweeping gear,and this officer who was a lawyer,decided to come on the sweep deck when he knew it was a dangerous place. Telling us how to do the job, as he had read the book. Anyway to cut along story short. he was standing in a bight of sweep cable,as it was paying out.So i pushed him out of danger.And he reported me.I was told had to apologise to him in the officers mess in front of the other officers. NO WAY.! so i gave him a mouthful of what i thought of him, and left.
    i should have let him lose his leg.or better see him go through the fair lead with the cable.
    sorry lads but as i said the ex RN guys were good.
    best wishes Geoff.
    KISS.keep it simple stupid

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by x taffy 2 View Post
    Hi all.
    Spent sometime in the RNR,after leaving the MN.Didn't really enjoy the experience though.to much bull for my liking. The ex RN guys were good, it was all the other Pratt's that spoiled it for me.As there were times at sea, when there would be 4 or 5 working the ship the rest were in there bunks chucking everywhere.and trying to be sailors.Most were desk jockeys,and didn't have a clue!. The end came when i was charged with striking an officer.We were working the sweeping gear,and this officer who was a lawyer,decided to come on the sweep deck when he knew it was a dangerous place. Telling us how to do the job, as he had read the book. Anyway to cut along story short. he was standing in a bight of sweep cable,as it was paying out.So i pushed him out of danger.And he reported me.I was told had to apologise to him in the officers mess in front of the other officers. NO WAY.! so i gave him a mouthful of what i thought of him, and left.
    i should have let him lose his leg.or better see him go through the fair lead with the cable.
    sorry lads but as i said the ex RN guys were good.
    best wishes Geoff.
    G'day Taff, sorry to hear about your experiences. Had a family member in R.N. during the war, dont remember too much about it as I was young then, still am in spirit, but do recall all the fuss made of him when ever he came home, very kindly man from what I remember. He died in the early 50's so eally never got to know him.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    G'day Taff, sorry to hear about your experiences. Had a family member in R.N. during the war, dont remember too much about it as I was young then, still am in spirit, but do recall all the fuss made of him when ever he came home, very kindly man from what I remember. He died in the early 50's so eally never got to know him.
    Hi John.
    i lost a cousin on the Gloster. when she was bombed in Crete.41 i think?. As i said the ex RN guys were great and not much different to us MN guys.it was the idiots who were wannabes.got there sea time playing with a boat in the bath tub.I dont know how they got their commissions, but i
    think they come in a box of sugar puffs.OUR commander was a right funny fella, always asked you about your sex life.if he ever believed what i told him he must have thought i was a super super doper stud. ah-ah.
    Maybe somebody could enlighten me on how you got your commissions in the RNR.
    best wishes geoff.
    KISS.keep it simple stupid

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Steve.
    I was a little late for the last war, but my brother was in the MN, he used to tell me about the RN blokes on those little Corvettes, thought the sun shone out of them for what they put up with looking after the convoys. Later my sister in the Wrens married a bloke of the Warspite great story teller. The MN and the RN all did a great job together.
    Cheers Des
    Lest We Forget
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I, to, joined the RNR after coming ashore from the MN, I joined HMS Scotia a Headquarters Unit at Pitreavie near Rosyth, and I have to say I spent 27 great years there, I rose from a lowly OD Radar Plot to eventually become an old Chief Petty Officer head of New Entry Training, and finally retired with my (Pea Do and Bar) my Good Conduct and Long Service medal. For 25 years undetected crime
    I had a great time in the Merch' but I also enjoyed life in a Blue Suit, both my sons joined the RN, and both enjoyed their time in it.
    I am still associated with the RN, as a member of The City Of Edinburgh Branch of the Royal Naval Assocoation.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default royal navy

Hi Everyone worked at HMS COLLINNWOOD for eight years arfter M.N used to make me laugh when they said they were going ashore for the night most of them never been on a pedalo Not a bad job though

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cool Stevesherratt.

Hi Steve.
    The only experience of the Royal Navy I ever had
    was as a Sea Cadet in the early 50's,and summer camp
    in Portsmouth on H.M.S.Modeste,that was a realy
    enjoyable holiday,but I dont think I could have
    done it as a career,glad I joined the M.N.

Dave Williams(R583900)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cool Fort William

Hi Hugh.
    Just a short note to maybe start a friendship.
    Stayed in Fort William quite a few time,on our
    way to Stornoway to do a bit of sea fishing.
    Never once had the chance to go up Ben Nevis
    every time we we were there,always covered
    in thick mist.Is Mactavishes Kitchen still going,had
    a few meals in there.

Dave Williams(R583900)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast