Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Troopships singapore 1945

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Lou,
    Were you one of the lads from the Gloucester Castle who went to Joe Farnworths home in Bolton, ?
    His brother Dave told me a few weeks ago that three lads from the Gloucester Castle had called at the house to tell them what happened to Joe after they had returned from Singapore.
    Cheers
    Brian.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi brian no that was not me but it was one of the other os a barry lane who i had the could fortune to meet up with in 1993and 1995when my wife and i made a trip to the uk barry told me about it barry passed away a few years ago i did go to c weirs mother when i got home to tell her the sad news

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

if you look at the Fepow Community website there is a lot of information on there regarding the ships used in repatriation
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default troopships singapore 1945

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Louis Barron View Post
    hi nick i have mention about the ss monawai and my arrival in liverpool on another post but here is the story i was one of the lucky ones to be picked to go home after over three years as guest of the japs we embarked on the monawai on about the 8th of september 1945with about 800 hundred bods mostly army with a few air force and navy with a handful of merchant navy guys it was to be the best trip i ever did in my time at sea we left singapore bound for colombo in ceylon now sri lanka it was not long before myself and my mate ex mn got talking to some of the crew with the climate being very hot it was pretty sticky down in the troop sections so one of the crew got us a lovely spot on the boat deck to sleep we had alot of red cross nurses to lookafter us and boy did they do that when we got medical going over i was just six stone in weight they gave us a lot of pills what ever for i had no ideathe food was excellent on reaching columbo this took ashore to a service club and we had free food and drinks after leaving there we set off for the suez canal and was we enjoying this we arrived at a place just by suez i cannot remember the name but they outfitted us with a suit shirts other clothing as we had some exnavy gear was wearing giving to us in singapore we was also able to send one cable to my mother which i had no clues if she was still alive she got to know that i was alive in 1944 as we was posted as lost at sea set off again through the canal fo the uk and sailing up the mersey will live in my memory till my dying day we stood on deck as we approached the princess land stage there were bands playing and flags flying and crowds and crowds of people ithink a few of us shed a few tears we the mn guys was the last to leave the ship and i think we got thev biggest cheer after we got ashore we got all kind of gifts giving to us then a red cross lady came over to us mn guys and said that wewas to be taken to a camp in the wirral as we was loaded into a bus we went through the tunnel to birkenhead in the meantime im telling this nurse that i lived in rockferryand could they drop me and let me get home she said that we had to go to camp im getting very hot under the collar but anyhow to cut the story a bit short another red cross person said they would take me home so into a car they put me and off we went to rockville st rockferry as we drove up the street i saw a big banner stretched across the street saying welcome home lou they must have got word to my people as igot out of the car the street was very quiet then all of a sudden i got mobbed as i aproached the house my mother lived my father came out and hugged me then my mother came out crying that got me crying too so thats how i got home
    Hi Charles , a fasinating account . Its things like this that should be in the history books, Thanks for sharing it. My Dad never really talked much about his time in SE Asia and it certainly helps to get a feel for those times.

Nick

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That was a very emotional Home-coming for you and I can fully imagine you would never ever forget it. The Monowai was owned by the Union Steamship Company of New Zealand and later was on the Sydney to Auckland Passenger service for many years after the War she had two funnels and i believe when she was originally built she may have been owned by the British India Steamship Co., my much respect for your very emotional and lovely story of your Homecoming. I lost many of my relations in the 2nd World War and it was truly a delight to know you made it home. Glenn Baker Australia

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3