Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: The A boat run to B A

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The A boat run to B A

Out here Keith no names no pack drill, in the 90"s was approached by a union official to keep an eye on his son who was joining the ship. He was a University Student and the Uni"s were on their break. He joined as a seaman and was on top money of the time about 67,000 dollars a year, the working year being 6 months. All new entrants to the deck went on half seamans wages for about a year if remember correctly. It was not up to me to question as all done through the office, by this time I had been long enough at sea to be one of the wise monkeys see and hear nothing and no speaky. That is or was the law of the sea up until I retired not what you know but who. As have said in previous posts there are all sorts of short cuts, not fair I know but have to be in a position of authority to do anything about. The master of a ship towards the end of my time was on Australian ships which I still maintain were better run with better conditions than others and after a lifetime at sea, who is going to look a gift horse in the mouth. The only benefit to me was I kept my job. Cheers JS
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 24th March 2020 at 10:50 PM.

2. Likes Keith Tindell, cappy, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Did my EDH and Lifeboatman in Katherine Dock London. Lifeboatman was 5 days including rowing around the dock--EDH don't recall any pre training you just applied for the exam--it was one on one with the Examiners from Dock Street--just around the corner. I was 18 + with about 2 years sea time.

4. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On thinking back to 1955/57 runs to BA, I recall spending time with a girl from Olivos in a place on La Valle called the Copper Kettle, nice place.
    Can also remember going to La Palacio do Papa Fritas and having bife completo, vino do casa, and a side plate of langestinos(hope I got the spellings right.
    The Deseado usually docked in La Boca and I remember a dockside café there where you could get those humongous beef sandwiches

6. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Kelly View Post
    On thinking back to 1955/57 runs to BA, I recall spending time with a girl from Olivos in a place on La Valle called the Copper Kettle, nice place.
    Can also remember going to La Palacio do Papa Fritas and having bife completo, vino do casa, and a side plate of langestinos(hope I got the spellings right.
    The Deseado usually docked in La Boca and I remember a dockside café there where you could get those humongous beef sandwiches
    Well I'll be damned - I could have written that. Word for word, including the girl from Olivos. Just a different ship.
    Last edited by corrientes; 20th March 2016 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Addition.

8. Likes cappy, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: amazon

I was three months in Belfast when the Amazon the first A Boat was fitting out, was on her from December 1959 till 164
    Eddy Brockman

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Was on the Aragon in 1960.
    The only ship I didn't enjoy.
    Glad to pay off her.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just read about A boats they bring back so many memories ,I was on the Aragon during 1960 and I agree with the comments some city BA the couple of weeks there were fantastic birds booze it had it all.The problem was cash never had enough of it to last when skint we used to go to a I think it was a catholic mission or something like one,the reason was to get half pissed the price for drinks was ridiculously cheep then go and do the bars on Vienti Cinco.Of course this only came about after you had been ripped off after playing the rich guy throwing your cash about trying to impress the bar girls we've all been there but soon learnt .when in BA if a USA or Norwegian ship was berthed or arrived the prices went through the roof in the bars or to hire a bird ,British seamen were poorly paid in comparison and they new it these bars..Are beefy Lomo steak an inch thick with eggs on top delicious. even now that's how I like my steak .Iwonder if the seamen of today would have enough stamina to get through those couple of weeks in BA and go to graft each day I know one thing if any of you old buggers out there could still do it ,I want some of what you are on ,,

12. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: amazon

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Brockman View Post
    I was three months in Belfast when the Amazon the first A Boat was fitting out, was on her from December 1959 till 164
    Eddy Brockman
    Glad to see you still remember, did you get to BA

14. Likes dave moore liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#125. Hi Dave, Your post is word for word what I experienced in BA.
    Used to hit the Mission first. Get half peed then tell the priest we were off back to the ship.
    Yer right. Beautiful girls down there. Beefies were good as well.
    Happy days.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All gone now, Viente Cinco de Mayo all shops and offices now No Bars, No Girls.
    I was there about three years ago.
    Brian

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast