Just missed that.
    Sailed on her January 61.

4. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: RMS Aragon

Amazon ex Belfast Jan 1960,joined from my home Town Drogheda 70 ml away .anybody closer than that. Eamonn

6. Likes N/A, Evan Lewis liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis McGuckin View Post
    Just missed that.
    Sailed on her January 61.
    Should have got in the post earlier Den, and put the correct stamp on
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

8. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Maiden voyage from garland ,wolfs to London with then prime minister mc Milland aboard.after being on board a coal burning old coaster quite a change, accommodation 5 star after living quarters in the focastle that was like being a submariner ,I did 5 trips on the Aragon but found it boring calling at the same ports every trip although at the time to visit ports Rio and seemed a dream to my friends at home in Darlington co, Durham I signed on great little tramped the Lynton one of Chatty chap and spent 9 months sailing round the globe S America Borneo Japan and Canada of all the ships I sailed on she she had the best crowd.but not the Five star accmodation and food on the Aragon. Although a lovely ship life was boring aboard good luck and health to you all ex,Mariners Dave moore

10. Thanks N/A, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, cappy, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

###not a lot on here been on coalburners dave ...which one were you in ....regards cappy

12. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was on a couple of coal burners,one was a fishing boat,the other was a coal burning coaster.
    The firemen lived port side forrard the deck crowd starboard side forrard.
    At times when the weather was bad it was impossible to get forrard so you slept any where aft.
    She was called Yewtree and was built 1926.

14. Thanks N/A, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, N/A, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On the 'Swanland' built 1914 side winder trawler out to Iceland, shovelled a few tons (not tonnes!) of the black stuff on that one (I was 13 at the time!), also peeled buckets and buckets of potatoes, not only did we only have black and white photos my jobs were black and white as well!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was on two of constantines the south wood and Northwood trip was from blue circle cement dock on the Tyne it was near where the Baltic centre is now.Down the river to load coal at Jarrow then to Battersea. Power station .greehithe then to load loose cement then back to the Tyne.for starters being a coal burner every thing was hacks black .Cargoes did not make life any cleaner Could you imagine health and safety, they would have a heart attack.People don't know what muck is today.I was the cabin boy so called but was soon taught how to get steam up the size of the shovel was about my limit to lift never mind it loaded with coal .but soon learnt how to build the fire to keep steam up.the old tubs hatches were covered with single boards that all had to be lifted across each hold by hand really hard graft,I was only a boy of 16 but all the crew really look after me .When at Gateshead unloading cement that went on to be bagged there the lads used to get into the Garabaldi pub playing dominoes once I remember them all getting a skinfull the mate came in and said we were going down stream to load coal early for some reason they refused to a man I got up but was told to stay believe it or not the old man took the boat took Jarrow loading dock themselves the rest of us got a taxi Thera later after a quid or to had changed hands over games of dome ,Nowadays unbelievable but true .somehow most weekends we happen to be in the Tyne. Tides were studied well in advance so most of the Geordies had the weekend at home,Happy days Cappy .looking back 60years nearly.an experience very few of today's Mariners would believe.thanks for your interest good .good health Dave

17. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, cappy, Doc Vernon, Evan Lewis liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi folks when I was on the MV Lynton from Rio de sol in S America we sailed to to Yokohama Japan bunkering at Miri in Borneo we were chartered at 8 knots the voyage was across the S Atlantic through the Indian down Mallacca straights .I remember towards the end of voyage food was in short demand also the water supply looked like beer in colour and having to drink lime juice. I'm not joki
    C that is the truth We were at sea for weeks but Icannot remember how long .Can anybody tell me how long it would take as my family find it hard to believe when I tell them about forty days being cooped up on a small ship. why we sailed that direction instead of through the Panama and across the Pacific I do not know to think that there was 1000Yen to the pound we were all like millionaires Bought stacks of fishing gear to sell for a fortune in Canada. Happy Days.How long did it take Rio to Miri....?

19. Likes Doc Vernon, N/A liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast