Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Doris's Bar

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Doris's Bar

Did 6 trips on Royal Mails Eden 1956-1957, spent alot of time in the Caribbean mostly Jamaica had some very good runs ashore, have not heard Doris's Bar mentioned, must be alot more old sailors out there who like me frequented Doris's
    Cheap rum 8 shillings a bottle, Appletons 12 shillings, I was in Montego Bay last April while on a cruise brought back lots of memories and Appletons is still cheap.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Ladies Names

I can remember a Gloria, she had or ran a bar a bit futher inland from Doris's, few names from memory Doris's Bar Dorothy, Madge, Rachael,Jean, another good bar was called Four and Ahalf better known as Fore and Aft.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default neville roberts

as i remember the main street for the red light district was Hanover street, and at the bottom was the old Myrtle Bank hotel, had some great times on Hamover , a mate of mine had a kid with one of the girls there and she tried too get over too Liverpool , but he emigrated not long after he went too sea , I saw the young kid some years later and he looked just like his dad. a cruise I did as a passenger to charlotte amalie , in 89 or so was an eye opener as the port seemed too have never changed . since I was on the Emp of Canada ,s cruises in the 60,s. those were the days lads., Nev.

4. Likes David Dunlop liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I remember a Doris's bar in Las Palmas in the 50's, just outside the dock gate.

Alec.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Doris's Bar

Yes Alec, I remember that that bar in Las Palmas, but later than you. First time I went there was in 1960 when I was on the troopship Devonshire. We were taking the Scottish Border Regiment out to the British Cameroons to quell some insurrection there. All the squaddies were in Doris's Bar when the MP's came in and started hammering seven different colours out of anybody in sight. When they came to us they were told to f...off and if you you really want a bad time then we are up for it. Went back there several times.
    Regards John.
    Last edited by John Callon; 24th February 2009 at 12:34 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Doris bar in Las Palmas was famous for more than just a drink. Knew quite a few of the lads who had been out the back only to find out a few days later they had been given a present .
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Shack in the Mountains

Up in the mountains with a beautiful women for nine months , you must have thought you were in heaven.I flew into Montego Bay last March then went again in April first time in Jamaica for 51 years, brought back lots of memories, did you not venture into the hills looking for your lost love or offspring while you were in Montego Bay last year?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cool Red Light Didstrict

Hi Neville.
    First it was bars,now its red light district.
    Regular"Jack the lad " you must have been.

Dave Williams(R583900)

Richard Masson Guest

Default Dois's and The Turtle Tank

Wow! Doris' Bar. My first ever foreign bar & whorehouse.
    Doris was married to Mr Bruce, the boss of the stevedores in Kingston. That family must have been worth a fortune.
    The Four and a Half was strictly the Four and a Half Rum Lane and took over number one spot in Kingston from Doris' in the early sixties if I remember rightly. Then there was the New Apple. Remember that?
    Best memories of Kingston must be Saturday afternoon swimming at the Myrtle Bank (Turtle Tank), Planters Punches and dances in the evening where one of the local bands was Desmond Dekker and the Aces.
    Swing the lamp there Jack...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile bars/clubs

Hi sorry to come on to home turf but does anybody know the name of the pub/ club in the caledonian road off of dock street in liverpool? I fell out of there a few times in late 60s ? Help rgds terry

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast