Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Doris's Bar

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    There have been over 6,000 hits on this thread and I wonder how many thought it might br about 'Doris's Bar' in Las Palmas.
    Very popular with the lads of the Lavender Ladies, and no doubt others. The queues out side to obtain the services of the good ladies inside was a sight to behold. the ladies were also veryt generous with their favours and many an unsuspecting lad got a take away present from them.
    I mentioned it on page 1 John and you replied. Mind you that was over three years ago

Alec.

Cebu, Philippines district of Punta Princessa.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Dorises bar kingston

the dusky maidens used to wait outside the mission from dorises bar, trapped my mate and myself there, , the red stripe beer was ok, then the appleton estate after.was a girl there in early 60,s called shanghai, half chinese.
    Tony Wilding

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trader View Post
    I mentioned it on page 1 John and you replied. Mind you that was over three years ago

Alec.
    Just goes to show how time flies when you are talking of the past!
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Kingston,

Hi guys,
    A bit late on this post but hey,, Doris's bar was always open.

Great memories of the Blue Steps, The Bamboo Club, The Maple Leaf but most of all Doris's

Rachael, Grace, Jean, Maud, and my special friend, Kathy Street, all fondly remembered.. Kathy seemed to have a thing for me when we first met, she bought the drinks all night. Then took me home to 31 South Camp Road where a bunch of the girls had rooms. Strangely enough, I seemed to have missed the ship when it came to sailing time and I stayed with Kathy for 6 months before getting arrested in the Bamboo Club and deprted back to the UK.

Some years later, when I was working as a trucker in the UK, I met a guy in a pub in Southampton. His name was Loafer and he had been a leading light in the dockside gang in Kingston and a mate of mine while I lived there. He'd managed to emigrate to the UK, along with Maud who was running a drinking house in Southampton.. We had a great night sharing memories , sword fish steaks and a couple of bottles of Appletons 3 dagger.
    The drinking house had a few resident Jamaican girls as well but I resisted them.

Wish I could walk back up the gangplank of the Essiquibo and do it all over again.

Rod.

5. Likes David Dunlop liked this post
    Cebu, Philippines district of Punta Princessa.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default DORIS,S BAR.

Doris,s Bar was great, also the Bamboo Club, was on MV Tuscany and MV Salinas, were great runs ashore.
    Tony Wilding

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I went into Doris`s Bar with all the crowd off the Tilapa, in 1954, we were all bevied on the Rum and sat round a table.,.
    A cockney AB sat next to me just suddenly hit me over the head with a full bottle of Rum, I was covered in a two pints of Rum, some blood and broken glass, I shouted at him, "That was a full bottle of Rum you`ve wasted, Next time use an empty bottle, " So he hit me again with an empty bottle, now that hurt.
    My mate Fred on the left and me on the right got hold of his head and banged it on the table, Cockney slid under the table and went to sleep.
    On the way to somewhere we walked past a bungalow and we just walked in and there was a bathroom with a shower and all hands shoved me into it with the shower on, to wash the Rum ,. blood and glass off me, then a couple came out of the lounge and were screaming in fear as they saw ten drunk sailors using their shower, We got out fast,
    Happy days.
    Brian.
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 2nd January 2013 at 03:27 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Breaking and Entering

Nothing to do with Doris's bar in Kingston but capt. kongs last post reminded me of a time when we all attended a senior officers conference in Haugesund.
    On the last night we had the almighty end of conference pizz up that went on till the wee small ours followed by a Norway verses England football match and a rapple along the second floor balcony's of the hotel.
    One of our Norwegian lads who was renowed, even amongst the Norwegians, for being a bit daft, could not be found when we all eventually made checkout at noon. After searching the hotel he still could not be found and we were beginning to get a bit worried as he was a lot more than nizzed the last time any one saw him.
    Suddenly an irate norwegian turned up wanting to know if we new who the drunken, naked seaman was who had broken into his house, trampled mud all across his white carpets and sicked up all over his sofa before falling asleep starkers.
    Hmmmmm. much shaking of head and rapid departure leaving the fleet manager (norwegian) to explain and sort it all out. Turned out the house was a retreat for some religious order that did not agree with alcohol etc. so methinks it took quite a bit of smoothing over.
    Strange but even though we still held conferences in Haugesund in future years, we never used that hotel again.
    rgds
    JA

9. Likes pegleg, Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post S.s.tetela 1954 doris bar pearls bar.

:mad:First trip on skin boat.what an education.no explanation needed.then blue star to rio santos and b.a even better.then cape town port eliizabeth durban laurenco marques beira then port pirie adelaide melbourne sydney.sydney sheilas the best. Got dr so joined marines.pegleg vindi 1954.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Dois's and The Turtle Tank

Doris Bar,such happy memories, Appletons Estate/ 1/2/3/ Dagger Rum. Lovely Jubbly. I was there many times during the 50s. I remember a very large jovial lady by the name of Cynthia,who used to look after us young lads,I believe she was the only lady allowed on the docks then, apparently they say she saved a 3rd Mate from a Royal Mail Ship from drowning she, seemed to rule the local Bars,

12. Likes Captain Kong, Dennis McGuckin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Dois's and The Turtle Tank

Quote Originally Posted by david dunlop View Post
    Doris Bar,such happy memories, Appletons Estate/ 1/2/3/ Dagger Rum. Lovely Jubbly. I was there many times during the 50s. I remember a very large jovial lady by the name of Cynthia,who used to look after us young lads,I believe she was the only lady allowed on the docks then, apparently they say she saved a 3rd Mate from a Royal Mail Ship from drowning she, seemed to rule the local Bars,

Was Dori's bar part of a Franchise as there was also one in Las Palmas.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast