Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Doris's Bar

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile Doris s Bar

Yep one of our main calls in the fifties. I was A/S on Loch Garth, Durango,Drina, Gascony during the late forties and fifties. Appleton Estate rum and coke and of course dusky maidens, cant recall much hassle there either in those days. The Myrtle Bank hotel almost next door to the wharf was a great place for a swim,drinks bit more expensive. Local kids swam in the dock area diving for pennies but didnt fancy that saw some big wildlife also swimming there.
    Stuart

2. Likes David Dunlop liked this post
    Cebu, Philippines district of Punta Princessa.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs up dorises bar kingston jamaica.

brought back some memories, had some great times there, most nights were spent there, i was lucky , never got a present , ! mission first , send post card home, then to doris,s was there on MV TUSCANY and MV SALINAS, Used to be a girl there , half chinese half african, called shanghai, crazy days, fore and aft was ok also bamboo club, was early to mid 60,s when i was there, last time was the year jamaica celebrated its first years independance, was in black river, thats another story, ocho rios and montego bay, more stories, ! the good old days, the young generation of today dont know what they missed,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Alf mate why did you have to bring up Doris's bar? Oh what a place so many young men lead astray there by young maidens looking to please the so polite English seaman queing up outside the door. Oh the mamories thta place brings back.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

oh john!! i do like the way you spell memories. alf
    Backsheesh runs the World
    people talking about you is none of your business
    R397928

6. Likes Colin Pook liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilding View Post
    brought back some memories, had some great times there, most nights were spent there, i was lucky , never got a present , ! mission first , send post card home, then to doris,s was there on MV TUSCANY and MV SALINAS, Used to be a girl there , half chinese half african, called shanghai, crazy days, fore and aft was ok also bamboo club, was early to mid 60,s when i was there, last time was the year jamaica celebrated its first years independance, was in black river, thats another story, ocho rios and montego bay, more stories, ! the good old days, the young generation of today dont know what they missed,
    I was in Doris,s quite a few times i did 2 in the Eden, 1 in Essequibo,also i was there in the old Potaro i,m sure that the Myrtle bank hotel burnt down at one time , i have a feeeling that it was rebuilt but like all things nowdays i could be wrong ,we where anchored off Southend for 6 weeks in the 60,s in the Eden during the strike i dont live to far from you Tony i think i was also in Jamaica for the last time in 66 great place great times they are for sure not coming back all the best .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Kingston Jamaica - Thank goodness those days are over - Doris's bar, only place I have seen the juke box covered in barbed wire! Then there was 4 1/2 Rum Lane.
    Is Kingston still as unsafe as ever it was?
    Malcolm

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default neville

When I was doing the regular run on the banana boats too Kingston and round the coast in the 50.s it was pretty safe as I remember going back too the ship one night and was very tired witha belly full of thelocal brew we sat down n the curb and fell asleep ,woke up at dawn with a load of bugs on us , and still had our wallets. nowthats safe for ya the good old calypso days .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cool Bars and Brothels

Hi Fellas.
    There seems to be a lot of talk about Bars and Brothels,
    but no mention of Churches and Chapels,not even a
    mention of the Seaman Missions.

Dave Williams

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by neville View Post
    When I was doing the regular run on the banana boats too Kingston and round the coast in the 50.s it was pretty safe as I remember going back too the ship one night and was very tired witha belly full of thelocal brew we sat down n the curb and fell asleep ,woke up at dawn with a load of bugs on us , and still had our wallets. nowthats safe for ya the good old calypso days .
    Hi Nev,
    Same kinda thing.
    Garbage guy in Kinston found me somewhere. Next thing I remember I was on the top of his truck heading back to the ship. Wallet in tact.
    Don't know how he knew wich ship I was from?
    Den.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dave,
    Whats a church and a Seaman Mission?
    Den.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast