Thread: Drina (I)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Drina (I)

I did a round the world trip in the Drina in 1948. We were supposed to load in B.A. but the Argies were being difficult even then about the Falklands, so we were chartered to Shaw Savill to load apples in either NZ or Oz. THe former would have suited me! Sailed south through the Magellan straits . It was hard work on the wheel with several pilots, each one taking a sector. You'd be heading for what looked like a solid wall of rock, then, "Stop Port! Hard a-Port" and round she'd come!Very spectacular scenery.
    We called in at Wellington NZ for orders and the "Buzz" was that we'd load in Nelson, two hours by bus from home, but no luck for me. Orders were for Tasmania. I was on the wheel going down Wellington harbour and I toyed with the idea of putting the helm hard a-starboard and sticking her on to Barrett's Reef!
    We loaded at Beauty Point and Hobart, Lots of girls from the jam factory along the wharf from us! (Does anybody remember that?) THen on to Fremantle, Cape Town Las Palmas, Glasgow and Liverpool Quite a trip!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=KiwiAB;9757]I did a round the world trip in the Drina in 1948. We were supposed to load in B.A. but the Argies were being difficult even then about the Falklands, so we were chartered to Shaw Savill to load apples in either NZ or Oz. THe former would have suited me! Sailed south through the Magellan straits . It was hard work on the wheel with several pilots, each one taking a sector. You'd be heading for what looked like a solid wall of rock, then, "Stop Port! Hard a-Port" and round she'd come!Very spectacular scenery.
    We called in at Wellington NZ for orders and the "Buzz" was that we'd load in Nelson, two hours by bus from home, but no luck for me. Orders were for Tasmania. I was on the wheel going down Wellington harbour and I toyed with the idea of putting the helm hard a-starboard and sticking her on to Barrett's Reef!
    We loaded at Beauty Point and Hobart, Lots of girls from the jam factory along the wharf from us! (Does anybody remember that?) THen on to Fremantle, Cape Town Las Palmas, Glasgow and Liverpool Quite a

hi kiwiab.
    went to hobart,in 66. spent about 3 weeks at anchor in the river awaiting orders. had a good time there. then onto beauty point to load. not much there though, no jam factory.all i can remember was 1 shop/post office. 1 pub that closed at 6 pm and a few houses.i used to hitch a ride to hobart on one of the trucks.40 miles of switch back roads.them be back for 8an turn to.
    best wishes geoff.
    KISS.keep it simple stupid

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Beauty Point

What ship were you in when you loaded at Beauty Point? You are right about there being not much there!
    In 1948, we were the first ship to ,load there post-war and the locals couldn't do enough for us! It was hard to buy a drink in the pub. And we werel working in the hold laying dunnage for four hours a night for the first few days on what was big money for those days! I have fond memories of that place.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi kiwiAB
    i was on the Hornby Grange, one of Holders, under charter to sure swivel.loaded using ships gear,i think we were there for 2 to 3 weeks, (those ozzys dont work very hard) haha.Everybody had a few boxes of fruit in their cabins. Then we got hammered in the Bight and had to go to Fremantle for repairs, another two weeks.walked of the ship supporting the seaman's strike. but thats another story,glad to leave Fremantle. though i missed my little Jeanne.
    best wishes Geoff.
    KISS.keep it simple stupid

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Info about MV Drina

Dear KiwiAB,

My name is Mike and I'm on this forum trying to uncover information about my grandfather who was in the Merchant Navy after the end of WWII. I believe he served on the Drina, and I'm keen to find out more about the ship. I see from your post that you were on board too. I'm not sure if your dates would match up but I was wondering if you may have come across him, or his colleagues - his name is William Thomas and I think he was an engineer.

Do please contact me if any of this rings a bell, or if you would be happy to talk to me about the Drina. I would love to hear more about it.

With very best wishes,

Mike Harris

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by acute_angle View Post
    Dear KiwiAB,

My name is Mike and I'm on this forum trying to uncover information about my grandfather who was in the Merchant Navy after the end of WWII. I believe he served on the Drina, and I'm keen to find out more about the ship. I see from your post that you were on board too. I'm not sure if your dates would match up but I was wondering if you may have come across him, or his colleagues - his name is William Thomas and I think he was an engineer.

Do please contact me if any of this rings a bell, or if you would be happy to talk to me about the Drina. I would love to hear more about it.

With very best wishes,

Mike Harris
    Hi Mike,
    I was on the Drina in 1960. Maybe that was after your Grandfather?
    Nice ship and good crew. I have a couble of good photo's of her if you would like copies.
    All the best.
    Den.