Thread: Royal Mail Lines, The Loss of the Sabor 1943

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Royal Mail Lines, The Loss of the Sabor 1943

I am researching my cousins father, Arthur Wragg who ended up as the Chief Steward on the Andes after the 2nd World War.

He never spoke about his war experiences, but we believe that he was probably Chief Steward on the Sabor when she was torpedoed on the 7th march 1943, off the east coast of Africa, south of Madagascar.
    Unfortunately, 5 engine room crew and the 3rd Engineer Officer went down with the ship.
    Later the same day, the rest of the crew totalling 52 were picked up by a RAF rescue launch and taken to Mossel Bay, South Africa. Sadly one of the 52 died from his injuries 3 and a half months later.

The only names we have of the survivors are Captain P.M. Burrell, and the Assistant Purser K.D. Lamb, who has described Xmas Day 1942 in the port of Tamatave, Madagascar. when he states that the Chief Steward was the only person allowed off the ship that day to try to obtain Xmas Dinner for the ships complement. It was stated that all he could obtain was some very scraggy chickens, but which apparently went down very well with the men. Unfortunately K.D.Lamb does not name the Chief Steward.

If anyone has information that will help us in our research please email us on jjohn.gill@ntlworld.com

Thanks

jjohngill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default SABOR official number 144504

Hello JJohn,
    The only way for you to be sure that he was onboard when the ship was lost would be to check the ship's last Crew Agreement which is held at the National Archives in piece BT 381/2347 at this link here: SABOR
    Hit the link above then hit "Request this" and then take the Digital Express option and follow instructions. It is important that you ask for the "last Crew Agreement for SABOR official number 144504" The cost for this service is £8.50 direct to your email address - 24 hour service on a no find no fee basis.

Regards
    Hugh

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default c s a wragg

I was his stewad on the andes and found him on the day he passed away

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default E R A Wragg (Arthur)

Hi CJC

Many thanks for your posting. I am passing your message on to Arthur Wragg's eldest son Bob
    Wragg (my cousin), who I know would be delighted to make contact with you.
    We have just compiled a history, so far as we can, of Arthur Wragg's life in the Merchant Navy
    from when he first joined Royal Mail Lines in 1924, up until his death in 1965.
    Any information, stories etc., would still be very welcome.

JJohngill