Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Beira Patrol on an RFA tanker

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default The Beira Patrol on an RFA tanker

Hi Mates
    I sailed on the RFA "Tidesurge" on 23/Jan/1968 as an EDH. I remember the first day we had a RAS (Refuel At Sea) I stood and didn't do a thing, there were hoses, lines, and pulley's everywhere, I hadn't a clue. Slowly we learned the ropes (excuse the pun) and thanks to the patience of the Bos'ns Mate, (Barry Ditchburn) we became experts.
    Some of the crew were R Owen (Yeaman)...R Cooke/ W Chisolm/J Cosgrove/I Macrae/ (QM's).... W Heatherington (Bosun)...E Currie/R Bowie/W Johns/ F Essery/G Anderson/E Johnston/C Meneghan/ AB's...J Brunton/A Butt/S Greening/S Nicoll/H Wik/W Low/ P Mckechnie/EDH's
    The Beira Patrol was the area we sailed mostly, and after a RAS we would anchor in the Mozambique Channel. We would make hooks with wire leaders and attach it to one ton gun line and fish for sharks. Ashore in Sembawang I had my first Nasi Gorin it was great, cooked right on the street. A bunch of us would rent a car in Neesoon and drive all over, I got a ticket in Singapore for parking, it came in the mail when we visited Australia, I wasn't going to pay till I was advised "if you don't pay don't go back to Singapore" I wired them the fine.
    One day driving out the gate we were stopped by the guard, he asked me where I got the car, I told him I rented it. He said I will rent you mine much cheaper, so we did. It was a much better car.
    We would also have a free night ashore when our on-board bar had saved enough cash to rent the Seacoast Bar for a couple of hours. Two hours to drink all you can, we didn't waste any time.
    The Ships log for RFA Tidesurge is in the Memorial University in St Johns Newfoundland, my son happened to move there and when I visited him I went to the University and copied around eight ships logs I had sailed on. They list the ports, crew list, and fines, and one in particular that made me laugh, was when asked if he had anything to say he replied "I wasn't that drunk"
    We docked in Falmouth on the 23 Nov 68. Was going to sign a contract with the company, till the Chief Mate told me and my mate we weren't suitable. lol.
    It was the best trip I ever had, If my first trip to sea had been that ship I would have stayed on RFA tankers. From the day I first sailed till the day I jumped ship in Sydney, ( Jan/1970 ) I enjoyed the life. Would go back anytime any ship.
    Stan Greening A/B
    Retired, and now living in Hope BC Canada. If you know me, look me up and call me.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Stan.
    Wecome to the site hope you enjoy your stay. List all your ships names and dates sailed on you never know if someone on site sailed with you.
    I was on the Wave Baron in 52 same area Korean war was on. oiling was a doddle when you got used to it. I liked to be on the wheel when we were oiling. Singapore was the best.
    Cheers Des.
    redc.gif

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default rfa olwen

Olwen-my 1st trip great days. names i remember-buffalo bill lived on the hanger deck,Francis the capts tiger,wee joe maltese storeman,steve duncan bosun,sean ? bosuns mate,alec mcleod ab,shug mcmahon ab,ian appleby os,john drum edh, hated that bloody distance line good times tho

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The Beira Patrol on an RFA tanker

Hi, Stan, I remember you well and have some photo's of you and the lads, as well as the Tidesurge herself. I remember when you were nearly a `Flying Scot' when the Ras rope pulled taught where it shouldnt have - painful! I think we did some dinghy sailing at Gan, didnt we? Nice to know someone from the old ship. I stayed on for the next trip on her which was even better!
    Ken `Ras' Dykes - DHU then but EDH next trip.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Ken
    Hope Stan gets to see your post as this is from 2012 ??
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Ken
    nearly the same for me on the "Tidespring in 1966, had a great time all over the far east. It had to be one of the best trips I had ever been on.
    Graham R774640

7. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ken dykes View Post
    Hi, Stan, I remember you well and have some photo's of you and the lads, as well as the Tidesurge herself. I remember when you were nearly a `Flying Scot' when the Ras rope pulled taught where it shouldnt have - painful! I think we did some dinghy sailing at Gan, didnt we? Nice to know someone from the old ship. I stayed on for the next trip on her which was even better!
    Ken `Ras' Dykes - DHU then but EDH next trip.
    Hi Ken, Not sure that I can place your face, great to hear from you. Yes I remember the line pinning me to the rail, I guess at that moment my guarding angel stepped in and slackened the line enough for me to get free. Anyway could you please send me some photo's you have of me and the "TIDESURGE" My email is "seamanstan@yahoo.com. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

I got it Doc, hope Ken sees my reply.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was on my 1st trip to sea from 1968 to 1969. We stopped at Beira about Jan. The RN asked us why we were entering and when we said to drop of cargo they asked us to take in post from the blockade vessel. Just before we left the Consulate office asked us to take some mail out. We said where are they, the reply was; do not worry they will find you!. I was a cadet on the Clan Menzies.

10. Thanks Heathenscot thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Ken, Can you get in touch with me? seamanstan@yahoo.com. or look me up in Hope BC Canada. Stan Greening.

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wink Re: The Beira Patrol on an RFA tanker

Quote Originally Posted by Heathenscot View Post
    Hi Mates
    I sailed on the RFA "Tidesurge" on 23/Jan/1968 as an EDH.

Retired, and now living in Hope BC Canada. If you know me, look me up and call me.
    My father was on board the same ship at the same time (I believe). He was either a fireman or greaser at that time because there was a period he served as a donkeyman. He was Maltese and his name was Lawrence Caruana. The sure thing is that during the aforementioned patrol the TIDESURGE broke the record for the longest time on patrol; 91 days. and arrived in Singapore with only a sack of potatoes left in the store. I stand to be corrected.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 19th July 2022 at 11:43 PM.

14. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast