Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tornado Aircraft.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Tornado Aircraft.

In answer to a statement in a monthly paper in a RAAFA retirement village about a Tornado aircraft shipped out from the UK last year to be a centre piece for their main village.

Another small today, but not small at the time which may be of interest to those ex RAAF personnel living at the village.
    First congrats.to Bull Creek for obtaining the fuselage of such an aircraft.My only knowledge of such an aircraft was about 1980 ish when such camedown in the Irish Sea . At that time it was a NATO aircraft and was piloted by two continentals who did not eject. The aircraft was itself was still on the secret list so Apart from the humanitarian task of retrieving the bodies the wreckage had to be retrieved also.
    During the course of this task the incoming naval helicopters reported a Russian fishing vessel in the area. The following is the only light hearted of this not too good a task.
    The senior naval vessel was HMS Reclaim the oldest commissioned vessel in the R.N. I think only HMS Victory was older. The Reclaim has long gone well before her time.
    However the C O of such called us up and asked us to put a boarding party on board such a suspected fishing vessel and go through his nets to see if they contained any wreckage. His excuse was he had insufficient manpower to do so.
    I told the two biggest of our 5 man deck crew to launch the Z- boat and pointed out the vessel and told them not to dawdle and get back as soon as possible.
    They came back 30 minutes later with their tails between their legs saying the fishing skipper has said to them on climbing on board with their request , and told them to get off his vessel , in a Yorkshire accent accompanied by ###&&&fff .
    Anyhow the remains of that particular Tornado was a crumpled mass, but as the habit with all downed aircraft was to rebuild to find the cause of how it happened , I hope the one at Bull Creek is not it. Just joking of course . The aircraft hit the sea at an estimated speed of 1000 knots.
    John Sabourn

Rider seperate to ,the above is copy as near as can get it and was printed. I may have already put it on but can’t remember and it was only last year it hit the stop press.However most of these types of casualties happen quite frequently and think I was involved in at least 4 others the other team on the ship would probably have found similar. The public rarely read about them . Cheers JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 23rd October 2022 at 10:51 PM.
    R575129

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile Re: Tornado Aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    In answer to a statement in a monthly paper in a RAAFA retirement village about a Tornado aircraft shipped out from the UK last year to be a centre piece for their main village.

Another small today, but not small at the time which may be of interest to those ex RAAF personnel living at the village.
    First congrats.to Bull Creek for obtaining the fuselage of such an aircraft.My only knowledge of such an aircraft was about 1980 ish when such camedown in the Irish Sea . At that time it was a NATO aircraft and was piloted by two continentals who did not eject. The aircraft was itself was still on the secret list so Apart from the humanitarian task of retrieving the bodies the wreckage had to be retrieved also.
    During the course of this task the incoming naval helicopters reported a Russian fishing vessel in the area. The following is the only light hearted of this not too good a task.
    The senior naval vessel was HMS Reclaim the oldest commissioned vessel in the R.N. I think only HMS Victory was older. The Reclaim has long gone well before her time.
    However the C O of such called us up and asked us to put a boarding party on board such a suspected fishing vessel and go through his nets to see if they contained any wreckage. His excuse was he had insufficient manpower to do so.
    I told the two biggest of our 5 man deck crew to launch the Z- boat and pointed out the vessel and told them not to dawdle and get back as soon as possible.
    They came back 30 minutes later with their tails between their legs saying the fishing skipper has said to them on climbing on board with their request , and told them to get off his vessel , in a Yorkshire accent accompanied by ###&&&fff .
    Anyhow the remains of that particular Tornado was a crumpled mass, but as the habit with all downed aircraft was to rebuild to find the cause of how it happened , I hope the one at Bull Creek is not it. Just joking of course . The aircraft hit the sea at an estimated speed of 1000 knots.
    John Sabourn

Rider seperate to ,the above is copy as near as can get it and was printed. I may have already put it on but can’t remember and it was only last year it hit the stop press.However most of these types of casualties happen quite frequently and think I was involved in at least 4 others the other team on the ship would probably have found similar. The public rarely read about them . Cheers JS.

I live in the RAAFA Village and the plane looks great after a RAF team came out and erected it a couple of months ago. Only negative aspect is it has blocked off my habitual morning walk access.
    Bob Hay. (ex Booth, Lamport & Holt, Blue Star engineer)

4. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Tornado Aircraft.

#2 How do you find as an Ex seafarer living in a RAAFA village Bob. I’m down at Meadow Springs and on moving in 2 years ago was approached to join the ancient mariners society which consisted mostly of naval types with one other MN person . Think the total membership was 5 male and 4 female. That already is down to 3 male and 2 female . I’m the only MN one left. A least we meet on happy hour that s the big consolation. Cheers might see you around sometime , but only been up to Bull Creek the once. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 28th October 2022 at 08:46 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#2 How do you find as an Ex seafarer living in a RAAFA village Bob. I’m down at Meadow Springs and on moving in 2 years ago was approached to join the ancient mariners society which consisted mostly of naval types with one other MN person . Think the total membership was 5 male and 4 female. That already is down to 3 male and 2 female . I’m the only MN one left. A least we meet on happy hour that s the big consolation. Cheers might see you around sometime , but only been up to Bull Creek the once. Cheers JS
    Good to hear from you JS. We've been in here over eight years and it's not bad, as long as you try to ignore the fact they're not running a Philanthropical Institute. You could be a one legged armless Hottentot and you'd be welcome along as you had the money. I haven't met any ex MN here although we've got a couple from the oil game.
    I left the MN many years ago and worked for Weirs in Glasgow and came out her in 1972.
    Went up to Port Hedland for State Energy Commission and ended up seven years on Adsteam tugs.
    Then was offshore for a few years on supply boats and drill ship. Retired to our house in Augusta and would you believe ended up in Real Estate before coming back to Perth about twenty years ago.
    Cheers
    Bob.
    Last edited by Bob Hay; 29th October 2022 at 04:25 AM. Reason: missed a word

7. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Was in the oil game myself in the uk and out here also . On the demise of British Shipping or if not demise the gloomy future it had at the time. Worked on an assortment of vessels . Out here from 1991 for the next 11 years worked offshore for Total Marine and Mermaid marine of Fremantle they managed various Swire and other vessels out here ,was also employed at various times moving offshore installations quite a varied lifestyle may not have a lot of money but did see life. All the best anyhow and no Absconding in that Tornado now, does it have an engine ?
    Cheers JS
    R575129

9. Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John, with number dropping like that maybe the 'happy hour' is not so good for them.
    What happens when you have to have it on your own?
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

11. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just mix in with the other ex shore workers , might get home then able to walk straight. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Was in the oil game myself in the uk and out here also . On the demise of British Shipping or if not demise the gloomy future it had at the time. Worked on an assortment of vessels . Out here from 1991 for the next 11 years worked offshore for Total Marine and Mermaid marine of Fremantle they managed various Swire and other vessels out here ,was also employed at various times moving offshore installations quite a varied lifestyle may not have a lot of money but did see life. All the best anyhow and no Absconding in that Tornado now, does it have an engine ?
    Cheers JS
    I doubt if the engine would be still in it JS. Incidentally having been in the oil game here (I'm assuming engineer) just wondered if you knew a very dear friend of mine Graham Niccol who died last year. He was very well known in shipping circles here as a brilliant investigator of engine failings. He was ex P&O but worked on every craft type imaginable. A great loss in the industry.
    Bob.
    P.S. I notice the time on these postings is miles out.

14. Likes j.sabourn, Tony Taylor, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Think the timings are gmt or today universal time.The name Nicols sounds familiar will maybe come back to me later. Trying to think of a name who worked as Ch. engineer on the port Hedland tugs and later as superintendent he was employed by the Dutch salvage tug company. I only knew him however through a pastime and at the moment again will have to wait till remember he was G.M. Of the knights Templar of WA 3 years ago. Lived further south than Mandurah.My memory for names is getting worse, then all of a sudden will remember. Is a very dangerous malady especially if forget the wife’s and even more dangerous if you remember the name wrong. I was on deck at sea and not an engineer , other members of the family were however, if still alive they would probably say I wasn’t brainy enough. Cheers JS
    PS just remembered the abode of the missing name from Port Hedland is Bunbury , his name will probably come back as soon as have sent this. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 29th October 2022 at 08:07 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#9: Think the name was Bob Axton. JS. Was Graham Nicols a member of The Craft G.L. ? JS...
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 29th October 2022 at 12:11 PM.
    R575129

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast