Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Messerspit

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default The Messerspit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s2YabkzSrg

Not sure if this clip should be here or in History section Doc, will leave it with you
    Last edited by Marian Gray; 23rd October 2021 at 02:34 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default re: The Messerspit

Think the present generation has spelt the word wrong Marian there is at least one H in there somewhere . The German airplane had the speed of the spitfire and hurricane I believe , but the spitfire had the faster turning circle. That’s before looking at the hhtps:// also believe the spit was faster than the hurricane , but the hurricane had better manouvreability .might be wrong but such was the info.i saw and believed during the war. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

we have a spit flies over the Island on a regular basis, and everyone of a certain age turn their eyes skyward to look. i can remember the sound of the mesersmitt , and also the Dornier ?, with it slow engine sound of whum whum, if that rings bells, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#2, I know my lovely thanks though. The link is about a Spitfire captured on Jersey and the body used with a Messerschmitt engine once the Germans had reconditioned it hence the renaming by them, it was a one off.

#4, Keith, The Pilot in his concussed state thought he was landing on the Isle of Wight. When he was told by the locals it was Jersey, he tried to destroy it before the Germans arrived.
    Last edited by Marian Gray; 23rd October 2021 at 05:00 PM. Reason: added text

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes , saw that Marion, what a tragic life he lead, murdered by the nazis, the spitfire still looks a lovely design, even today, it just looks right, . Certainly an interesting film, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Starting soon: Channel 4.

The Lancaster Bomber at 80 with David Jason

23 Oct 2021 - 7:00pm - 8:00pm

The incredible story of one of history's most iconic aircrafts - the Lancaster bomber - and its instrumental role in the defeat of Nazi Germany.
    "Our veterans did not forget about us .... Let's not forget about them." From Michael Levesque

7. Thanks Victoria Moss thanked for this post
    Likes Keith Tindell, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    we have a spit flies over the Island on a regular basis, and everyone of a certain age turn their eyes skyward to look. i can remember the sound of the mesersmitt , and also the Dornier ?, with it slow engine sound of whum whum, if that rings bells, kt
    I used to take my son all over the southeast to the air shows and when the Southend airshow was running they all flew past my place on their
    way to the Southend seafront where they held their display. The WWII MK 1 spitfire with Merlin engine 362 mph, last MK was in 1948, MK 24 with a
    Griffon engine clocked 454 mph, there was 24 Mk's and several variants including the carrier based Seafire and spiteful, beautiful aircraft to see fly,
    Battle of Britain day at Duxford this year had 15 spitfires in the air for the Flypast and so many other warbirds, I reckon your local guy would have been
    up there with the rest of them, there are so many privately owned spitfires today, but very few airworthy Hurricanes, none of them privately owned, cheers.
    Last edited by John F Collier; 23rd October 2021 at 07:36 PM.

9. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Having served in the RAF know much about all this, and it is all very interesting.
    Thank You
    Senior Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Doc, The name of this thread is supposed to be '' Messerspit'' As it was a one off created by the Germans who named it because they refabricated parts of both the Spitfire and a Messerschmitt. The link informs exactly which parts they used.

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting...stein.7095813/
    Last edited by Marian Gray; 23rd October 2021 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Added text

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As said previously, I took my son to the airshows, he loved aircraft and flying, he joined the air cadets and we both belonged to a R/C flying club,
    I really thought he'd join the RAF but the went into electronics instead but he still has a passion for flying. My interest in aircraft is really because of the Museums and airshows we've been to but my son also has a pile of books and DVDs I've learnt from those as well, love the old strinbags of WWI and the
    planes I knew as a nipper, cheers.
    Last edited by John F Collier; 23rd October 2021 at 10:00 PM.

13. Thanks Marian Gray, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Marian Gray, j.sabourn, Denis O'Shea liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast