Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Messerspit

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default re: The Messerspit

I was in the ATC as well as the army and sea cadets , but in the ATC the longest my recollections of such was one of watching parachutes being packed and breaking a link trainer at Ouston RAF station outside Newcastle. Practising on the rifle range with the P 17 a world war 1 American Lee Enfield rifle which fired a .300 caliber bullet and had a fitting for a grenade launcher , and I can quote all the info about the tangeraperture fore and backsight , and about the British sten gun which could only fire 32 rounds before having to change the magazine. It could also fire single shots. So how John Wayne kept on firing for about an hour in his movies beats me. It had an unrifled barrel and was a close quarter weapon at the best of times so how it could bring an aircraft down I failed to see the logic. But that’s what they taught lying on your back and shooting upwards. However boys will be boys and we used to have fun without killing anyone . Today’s mentality they would have to have human targets. Cheers JS.
    PS The ex RAF officer who lead this merry band of would be band of mercenary’s think but not sure he was a group captain. But have no recollection of seeing any wings on his chest , so assumed he was an ex member of the RAF regiment with his constant referring to small arms and square bashing which I found hard with the P17 rifle as was as big as me. Did members of the RAF regiment carry the same ranks as the ones who really worked the aircraft ??? JS
    PS I could ask anyone this where I live but they might get the idea I am an interloper and charge me full price for the beer. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 24th October 2021 at 12:53 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The Messerspit

Quote Originally Posted by Marian Gray View Post
    Hi Doc, The name of this thread is supposed to be '' Messerspit'' As it was a one off created by the Germans who named it because they refabricated parts of both the Spitfire and a Messerschmitt. The link informs exactly which parts they used.
    https://www.snipershide.com/shooting...stein.7095813/
    Yes Marian
    As said i know of all this and changed the spelling as the RAF would not be pleased to see that name again, (Myself Included) however as its your Thread i have changed it back to the Original.
    Cheers

And just of Interest as well.

German Aircraft of WWII (germanaircraftwwii.org)
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 24th October 2021 at 02:58 AM.
    Senior Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

3. Thanks Marian Gray thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We were very lucky during the war as Germany didn't have time to complete making enough planes with the jet engine. I think Hitler put to much trust in the fat fella Goering.
    Not that the two Messerschmitt fighter bombers that came over the top of our house all guns blazing at my future job in the tin works were not fast enough for me.
    Des
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Goering by all accounts was an ace in the First World War also a fine figure of a man and well liked , what happened to him.? Someone did him a good turn and slipped him some poison at the Nuremberg trials and he went to see his maker without saying Why? .
    William Joyce also Met Allby Pierrepoint after the trials , his only fault as far as can see he was accused of being a traitor, however as he had German citizenship would only have got a slap on the wrist today. I still believe whether true or false the talk at the time that his brother was a spitfire pilot who took his own life. This was the local gossip I listened to at the time. Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Red face Re: The Messerspit

JS Yr.# 14.John ,what intelligent local gossip you listened to in your youth !

I'm afraid mine was much more mis-spent,only gleaning the following ditty about the chap-which I must admit has not really benefited or touched my life,except maybe once,as a first trip cadet when I was hurriedly marched out of a beer hall in Hamburg's Reeperbahn by my shipmates when I ,apparently,started to sing what could have been perceived to be Anti- Vaterland songs,the v of course is pronounced as f in German,by the way,thought I'd mention that for no reason whatsoever.
    I have never been Anti-German,even going out with a young fraulein of mixed Anglo-German heritage called Charlotte Schultz -yes,there's a few sh's in that.
    I say going out,but we were only 9 or 10 years old..Her actual nickname by we classmates was 'Pineapple',which was because our form teacher,Mr.Twist (really!),who had one of those sort of lecherous,spitting sort of mouths when he spoke (youknow the one)
    first introduced her to the class when she joined us as "Class !.Meet your new classmate,-and what sounded coming from Mr.Twist's kipper- wet mouth like - Charlotte Chunks!"--hence her nickname of Pineapple.
    A lovely blonde-haired girl with German plaits was Charlotte.Whenever I see old replays of 'Allo Allo' with Helga in,I think of Pineapple. Rumour had it of course that her vater ,Herr Schultz,was running or hiding from something,but it was untrue I'm sure. Most'foreign' immigrants into Britain from a belligerent war-torn country in the post war years, were looked upon with suspicion and subjects of rumours.I don't think much has changed today actually.We Brits are quite insular,though not as nationalistic as some countries,are we?
    Another rather eccentric chap who lived near the school had the subject of this thread-a Messerspiss -or something,but it was not an aircraft it was one of those 1950's phenomenon -a bubblecar,called a Messerschmidt (now had to look it up properly to spell it correctly),or it might have been a Heineken,beg pardon,a Heinkel,which is also the name of another German plane of course.It didn't half make a racket and belched out smoke.I think he just ran it occasionally because he had another car.I always imagined the bubble car would have disintegrated into small pieces if it collided with something....

Anyway I've come a long way from my opening line about a ditty that mentions Herr Goring,so I'll clear throat and sing it.....

♫ Hitler has only got one ball,
    Göring has two but very small,
    Himmler has something similar,
    And poor Goebbels has no balls at all.♫

One never forgets one's earliest ditties....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I recall reading something about the capability of the Spitfire and why it was the best of all the fighter plane at that time.'
    It was to do with altitude, apparently the Spitfire could achieve a higher altitude than the Hurricane or any of the German planes.
    Gave it the ability to fly above the enemy aircraft and attack from there.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Senior Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for that bit Vernon, very informative.

But think of those guys up there in what by the standards of today was only a paper and wooden form craft.
    Those guys who saved us by flying them deserve the highest accolades ever.
    Without their dedication we may well be speaking Kraut by now.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

11. Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2