Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Battle of Britain

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Battle of Britain

2020 marks the 80th anniversary of the Battle of Britain which took place between July and October 1940. The 15 September 1940 was officially named Battle of Britain Day as it was the day when RAF Fighter Command claimed what proved to be a decisive victory over the German Luftwaffe.

By summer 1940, much of Europe had fallen to Nazi Germany. Backed by its allies overseas, the British Government refused to make peace with Hitler. In this country's darkest hour, the British Armed Forces prepared to defend the United Kingdom.

https://www.raf.mod.uk/our-organisat...le-of-britain/
    "Our veterans did not forget about us .... Let's not forget about them." From Michael Levesque

2. Thanks Dennis McGuckin, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Battle of Britain

Good post Keith
    However Fighter Command was the Head quaters in London, so it was actually Bomber Command Aircraft that did the damage
    My late Uncle (My Fathers Younger Brother) was in Bomber Command at the time. He was a Squadron Leader then, later to get to Wing Commander
    Cheers
    Senior Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

4. Thanks Keith at Tregenna thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The RAF Benevolent Fund is proud and privileged to be the official guardian of the Bomber Command Memorial, which stands as a fitting tribute to the 55,573 Bomber Command crew who lost their lives in the Second World War. It is our aim to preserve the memorial for future generations so that the noble sacrifice of those who lost their lives in Bomber Command will always be remembered.

"Our veterans did not forget about us .... Let's not forget about them." From Michael Levesque

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Alan Briggs liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith at Tregenna View Post
    The RAF Benevolent Fund is proud and privileged to be the official guardian of the Bomber Command Memorial, which stands as a fitting tribute to the 55,573 Bomber Command crew who lost their lives in the Second World War. It is our aim to preserve the memorial for future generations so that the noble sacrifice of those who lost their lives in Bomber Command will always be remembered.

From Australia I was privileged to visit the Memorial a couple of years ago. Also saw the Lancaster flyover at Duxford. Complete silence from the crowd as it went over....Bomber Command must not be forgotten. So sad it took them so long to erect a Memorial to the brave boys who "Do and Die".

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

80th anniversary of Battle of Britain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6vp0gZodSk

9. Thanks John F Collier, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes John F Collier liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That is a great video clip Keith, I have read about John "Paddy" Hemingway before, he was shot down 4 times during the war, once over
    the channel where he was picked up by a boat, another time was when as a 20 year old pilot officer with 85 squadron he took off from
    RAF Croydon in his Hurricane on 15th June 1940, to intercept luftwaffe planes that were approaching the Thames Estuary, as the headed
    for the Thames they climbed to 17000 feet and engaged in dogfights over the Estuary, John's Hurricane was shot down from behind and
    he was forced to bale out, he landed safely near Pitsea, after years of searching by enthusiast for the wreckage, his hurricane was found
    a couple of miles from Basildon, it was excavated from a depth of 35 feet with the guns still switched to the firing position, , today
    at 101 years of age, Joh "Paddy" Hemingway is the last of "The Few", he resides in a care home near Dublin. "Heroes every one of them".
    PS, Records show that over 100 aircraft from both sides were lost over the Thames Estuary during WWII, cheers.
    Last edited by John F Collier; 17th September 2020 at 05:12 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Nissen View Post
    From Australia I was privileged to visit the Memorial a couple of years ago. Also saw the Lancaster flyover at Duxford. Complete silence from the crowd as it went over....Bomber Command must not be forgotten. So sad it took them so long to erect a Memorial to the brave boys who "Do and Die".
    During the 80s /90s I took my son around the S E of England to see the air shows at different airfields, when the Lancaster takes to the air
    it is normally accompanied by a Spitfire and a Hurricane, that is the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, as you say Rod, the crowd is silent as
    the BBMF always gets their full attention, the sound of six Merlin engines overhead is special. The BBMF is housed at RAF Coningsby, you
    can see the BBMF and all of the other air museums in England, via Youtube, RAF Hendon is a good one to see as it has both WW! & WWII
    aircraft, the building housing the WW1 planes is actually where some of them were built, cheers

12. Thanks Keith at Tregenna thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A bit local to us:

SOUTH WALES AVIATION MUSEUM

An Aviation and History Museum at St Athan in the Vale of Glamorgan, South Wales.

https://www.swam.online/

14. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As with the Battle of Britain , we must also not forget WW1 and the RAF . The Royal Flying Corps as then known was i suppose the same as the WW2 Sections.
    Many Pilots and others were lost during that War , so must be put on the list of Gallant Men and Women.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Flying_Corps

My late Great Great Uncle Hector Omdurman MacDonald being only one of them that served with good success as well, having no less than 7 Hits in all shooting down German Aircraft, so is classed as an Ace for that.

As a site that has his details shows Not Secure ?? It is quite safe to look at ,this can promise!
    If you Google the name Hector Omdurman MacDonald on the pages that come up look for his name with the Aerodrome alongside it , then click that and you will see the results there. As with my other Uncle i have mentioned , both had made us really proud indeed!
    Cheers

AIR-76-315-112-compressed.pdf

Not forgetting of course my late Father who served During WW2 as well in the South African Air Force and was a Rear Gunner during the War, got shot down with serious Injuries, he retired as a Lieutenant
    So we have a long line of RAF in our Family. Me too LOL
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 17th September 2020 at 11:48 PM.
    Senior Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

16. Thanks happy daze john in oz, Harry Nicholson thanked for this post
    Likes Keith at Tregenna liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

‘Selfless’ Battle of Britain heroes and NHS staff hailed at anniversary service:

Westminster Abbey has held a service of thanksgiving and rededication on Battle of Britain Sunday every year since 1944.

Sunday’s event was the first major service to take place at Westminster Abbey since the Commonwealth Day service held earlier this year on March 9, two weeks before the UK went into lockdown in response to the pandemic.

This year’s service, which is the venue’s first since lockdown, saw attendance significantly reduced and social distancing measures in place for 79 invited guests.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...?ocid=msedgdhp

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast