Thread: Raf

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Raf

RAF to get £2b worth of submarine detection planes over the next few years. MOD concerned over the number of incursions into UK territorial waters by Russian subs.
    Last edited by vic mcclymont; 10th May 2015 at 09:03 PM.

2. Thanks Doc Vernon, N/A, Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Raf

The Russians are nervous about the NATO , At this moment NATO is having a big Military and Jet Fighters Exercise right up to the Russian Border, NATO is arming the Ukraine to fight Russia.
    In the Russian Celebrations for the end of WW2 all the western Leaders refused the invitation to go to Moscow. then at the last minute Merkel went.
    It is all fuelled by Obama, the Americans forget that it was the Russian Front that saved millions of American and British lives on D Day in Normandy. Russia lost 40,000,000 people in WW2
    Brian

4. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Vic I worked for the MOD from 26.10.78 to 4.8.82 on an adapted DSV stationed on the western approaches to the Loch Fyne areas and Holy loch where the nukes were based. Just looked at my discharge book and have 25 discharges from this ship, unfortuanetly shipping as it was, was at times on other vessels during a lot of my leave periods in between. I am not that well up on the technology side of submarine detection, but should imagine it was mainly by sonar. However the Russians used to drop listening devices on the sea bed at various places off the coast, some of these would of been dropped from surface vessels i.e. trawlers and some by submarine. However on the face of it the Navy had a good grasp of the situation and were aware of many of these listening devices which we went out and retrieved, how many they did not know about we will never know. The object of the exercise we surmised was to get the patrol routes of the nukes and reconization of their noise made, everything makes a noise which can be stuck on a computer for identification purposes. I would imagine we did the same off the likes of Murmansk and other Russian Naval ports, espionage is a two sided game. To now be scared of a few flights of Russian aircraft outside UK limits is only good for the press to make up a story about. Maybe they came under the official secrets acts in 78/82 as would of made more interesting reading of the underwater games played out off the west coast of Scotland. The real work horses of the RN were the Minehunters small vessels with as little steel as possible in their construction, these pinpointed the actual listening devices which were very small, and we recovered with saturation divers in up to a 1000 feet of water. Technology must be much advanced by now, but is hard to believe that the RN has not kept abreast of. This was all brought back to mind when I was on a Russian survey vessel here in Australia as the Australian master with an Australian crew. When I discovered in the Chartroom the equivilant to Janes book of shipping in Russian with the US and British fleets, Captains names etc etc. and there was the old Seaforth Clansman down as a naval possible enemy vessel. I approached the Russian master about this and he just laughed, however the next day the book was no longer there. He kept in touch for a while after I left the ship and the last I heard from him was a card when I retired. They were a good group of seafarers and a lot from the place where the so called trouble is today. Cheers JS PS Should of also mentioned Faslane for the British Subs. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 11th May 2015 at 12:17 PM.

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Keith Tindell liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#2. I should imagine there is no love lost between Russia and Germany, the Great Patriotic War being one of Russias big subjects taught to the present generations, so seems rather weird that she was the only western leader to attend their ceremonies. I think it was childish not to attend their great commemorative day, and shows that even though Europe is supposed to speak as one this is never going to happen. Did she ask Brussels permission to attend? or is she above that. I see by accounts in Press if true or not, that they want to state the amount of refugees each country in the Europe Bloc has to take. This according to them is irreversible and shows at one blow that the UK cannot afford to be party to be ordered to take x number of refugees and pay them the going money for nowt, which they are all after. It is the people themselves who will take their countries out of these ill thought out treatys taken without the peoples knowledge and agreement. At the head of the list if you notice are the Axis countries that were mainly against the UK in the last war who lead the brigades wanting a deciding say on how the UK is run. Our pollies off recent years have gone along with them like donkeys, or lambs to the slaughter. JS

8. Likes vic mcclymont, cappy, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So Far Europe wants UK to take at least 38,000 ISIS members and other bums, who want to destroy our country.
    `What Fools These Mortals Be.` Shakespear.
    Brian

10. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kong View Post
    So Far Europe wants UK to take at least 38,000 ISIS members and other bums, who want to destroy our country.
    `What Fools These Mortals Be.` Shakespear.
    Brian
    yes brian and our bosses in the EU must be obeyed at all costs OUR COST... jp

12. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi All.
    Iv'e seen some diplomatic blunders in my lifetime but the snubbing of the Russian anniversary parade for the dead from the second world war by the USA takes the biscuit, I doubt that anyone on this site would disagree that without the Russians the fight to defeat the Nazi's would have taken many many more lives of Merchant Seamen.
    Cheers Des

14. Thanks N/A, Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Angela Merkel did not attend Russia's giant military parade, like the rest of the Allied leaders she was absent. She did [,however,], visit Putin the following day to discuss the Ukraine, and while there both she and Putin layed a wreath on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Source BBC. (probably funded by the CIA. along with fixing elections in Oz., and causing the El Nino effect. Etc. Etc.)

Rodney

BBC. World News.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel has attended a wreath-laying ceremony in Moscow to commemorate the Russians killed during World War Two.

Mrs Merkel and other Western leaders skipped a military parade in Red Square on Saturday over tensions with Ukraine.

Russian President Vladimir Putin said on Sunday that a Ukraine peace deal was progressing, despite problems.

More than 6,000 people have been killed since fighting began in April 2014 in Ukraine's Donetsk and Luhansk regions.

The Ukrainian government, Western leaders and independent experts say there is clear evidence that Russia is helping the rebels with heavy weapons and soldiers. Moscow denies it, insisting that any Russians serving with the rebels are "volunteers".

Repeat...BBC World News.

16. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This article may be of interest:

18. Likes N/A liked this post