Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

2. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Spitfre Pilot in WW11 [For Doc]

Seen another post with paper cuttings which discounts these facts. They are just childhood memories of what our elders were saying at the time. Shows how rumours are started and slowly become folklore. During the war years they were a different breed of people than what they are today, they were more servile to authority than they are today, had more patriotic leanings, and went out of their way to help each other. The nation today is nothing like it was 60 years ago, which to a lot on here was yesterday. So even going back 100 years is not so long ago, and look at the advancements made in the way of life. Then look at the Middle East and go back 2000 years and you see the same standards apply, this is the reason why different peoples cannot mix, the gulf is too big. To hell with the do-gooders who don't recognize this. JS

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Dennis McGuckin, Braid Anderson liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There is a fellow here in the U.K., Guy Martin, who has been touted as a replacement for Clarkson on Top Gear.
    He is an engineering fanatic, always restoring some old piece of mechanical engines etc. He has his own series on Channel 4 here in the U.K.
    His life long ambition was to restore a Spitfire from scratch that had been discovered lying on a French beach and last year there was a documentary series on how he fulfilled his ambition to restore this Spitfire, he got its airworthiness certificate and it was flown by one of the Spitfire pilots of the Battle of Britain Remembrance Squadron.
    The program was called something like "Guy Martins Spitfire". and can be found at.
    Guy Martin's Spitfire - Channel 4
    for U.K. viewers.
    Rgds
    JA

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi JS, William Joyce (Lord Haw Haw) was hung for High Treason in Wandsworth Prison on 3rd January. 1946.

William Joyce - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by Frederick Lacey; 5th May 2015 at 03:56 PM.

8. Thanks Doc Vernon, j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Dennis McGuckin liked this post
    gray_marian Guest

#13, Will our overseas members be able to view John's link would like to FWD on?

10. Thanks Dennis McGuckin, j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Dennis McGuckin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No problem her Marian.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Lacey View Post
    Hi JS, William Joyce (Lord Haw Haw) was hung for High Treason in Wandsworth Prison on 3rd January. 1946.

William Joyce - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Can still remember his voice from when I was a kid.

12. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Doc Vernon, j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gray_marian View Post
    #13, Will our overseas members be able to view John's link would like to FWD on?
    Unfortunately not Marian all I get is a still Picture when clicking on the Video!
    Would be lovely to watch! But Alas!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

14. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My history master 'Doc' Gordon at Madras College was a Spitfire pilot during the Battle of Britain, and also test pilot for the Martin Baker ejection seat company. Martin Baker actually produced some brilliant fighter designs which, for one reason or another, were never put into production. He then took his PhD at Aberdeen University, and we - all four of us in Higher History - were lucky enough to have him as our master. He made history come alive, stressing people and characters, rather than facts and dates. But he did tend to be rather absent minded. On one occasion he arrived about quarter of an hour late, and asked "Am I here this period?" I answered "Well, most of you is, Sir."

16. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Marion.
    My Wife's cousin was one of the few, was killed after one year. I used to watch spits take of from Fairwood Common, near the Gower Coast, they were a Polish fighter squadron, the path where we used to ride our bikes went straight across the runway, there was a sign saying beware of the planes.
    Cheers Des

redc.gif

18. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Knew a bloke out here died a few years ago. Told me he had built his own plane. Went round to see him and right enough he had it in his garage with the wings folded back. Single Prop, single seater, no radio, asked him if it was legal and he said yes and would soon be flying it. It was not a micro built aircraft but had a solid fuselage and enclosed cockpit. Said it was the second aircraft he had built as had a one he flew when a lot younger. This bloke was 90 so was a bit worried about him, his wife had seen him fly in the past and wasn't worried about him. However I saw an ex RAAF pilot I knew and asked him to have a look at. He informed me that the aircraft was perfectly capable of flying. As far as I know it did not have a certificate of airworthiness or anything. Australia has been a country in the past of people making their own decisions and way of life, and as long as did not interfere with other peoples choices has always been so, more like I should imagine like the Wild West of the USA. However times have changed with the advent of more politicians and legislators making a living, apart from the headaches they cause the community in general, and the old Australian way of life is rapidly disappearing. Even the ex RAAF pilot was very nonchalant about the cert. of airworthiness and said its ceiling of flight would be under 5000 feet or something similar so was no problem. Like shipping maybe there are different rules and regulations per country re ownership of private aircraft. Anyhow this old fellah never did get to fly it, probably one of his sons is now doing so. JS

20. Likes Ivan Cloherty, N/A liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast