Thread: dambusters

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default dambusters

405666_624411740921509_256979950_n.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Raf

One of the great Movies about the RAF and the true story about Bombing the Dams!
    What great Flyers they were,and the way that they worked out how and when exactly to co-Ordinate dropping them was to say the least very very clever!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Thanks Tony!

What a nice site Tony! Thanks as you know i am also very interested in anything to do with the RAF being an ex RAF Man myself!
    Cheers

Wing Commander Guy Penrose Gibson, VC, DSO & Bar, DFC & Bar Royal Air Force December 3, 1943[11] WWII leader of the Dams raid (Operation Chastise) in 1943.

My late Fathers Brother my late Uncle Trevor!

Last edited by Doc Vernon; 16th May 2013 at 09:43 AM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default dambusters

There was a story the other day in the paper given by the last survivor of the dambuster crews he is now aged 93.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

every tues I meet an old port line engineer ex north shields for a couple of beers in to the bar came ayoungerman leading a semi blind old man who I later found out was almost blind.....the younger one came to the bar and ordered a pint and a large rum .....iasked was the rum for the older man ...yes that's all he ever drinks ......go to sea sez I ...yes royal navy ..the old man was sitting in the corner so I went over and said I was ex mn he said your lot took some hammer during the war....I said well it was before my time what shipsi asked and he told me 3 or 4 names of ships one being theaircraft carrier hms vengeance or valiant he said it was an ex banana boat and got the hammer the trip after he left it with great loss of life any way his lunch arrived and the conversation ceased but he told me he was 92 anstill loved his time at sea and the comradeship he still missed after all these years ...but then don't we all regards cappy

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default 70th Anniversary of the Dambusters:

The Glamorgan War Time Heritage Centre at Barry in conjunction with the Barry at war group are supporting the Merchant Navy: Year of the Convoy and MNA Barry Branch. Being involved with the group, it has been possible to present a red ensign and ensure other MN artifacts and display:

70th Anniversary of the Dambusters Raid (16 / 17 May 1943)

Tonight: Thurs 16th May. The Glamorgan War Time Heritage Centre present:

A 70th Anniversary of the “Dambusters” Raid Evening:

Doors open 7pm. Admission is free. Refreshments are available

Highlighting Sgt Gordon Yeo, from Barry who was the front gunner on one of the Lancaster’s in the raid. Sadly he did not return from the raid. He was just 20 years old.

On request from the family of Sgt Yeo:

The Evening begins with a brief talk about the raid, followed by a short play written by one of Sgt Yeo`s relatives about Gordon Yeo’s mother reminiscing about him.

Sgt Gordon Yeo was the front gunner on a Lancaster AJ-A. The aircraft made a successful attack on the Mohne Dam, but was shot down over the Dutch Coast on the way home.

Eileen Younghusband… will then give a talk about how she plotted the raid going out, and coming in along with a talk on the crew reunions.

The evening will conclude with a service of remembrance by an RAF Padre.

If you would like to attend, or know of someone who may please let them know, Doors open 7pm.

LINK 1: Dambusters Evening » barryatwar.info

LINK2: barryatwar.info » Researching, preserving and promoting Barry`s wartime heritage

Barry at War supports RAF St Athan 75th:

Barry at War will be providiing display equipment in support of the St Athan 75th Anniversary this summer. The date is July 9th.
    If you have a link to the base you can get in touch at their website :
    St Athan - Events
    Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 16th May 2013 at 01:59 PM.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default For doc:

RE: Doc Vernon;127119]As you know I am also very interested in anything to do with the RAF being an ex RAF Man myself!

A sight to make the heart swell: Britain's only airworthy Lancaster rolls back the years as it skims over Derwent Reservoir where Dambuster crews trained for famous raid 70 years ago:

Dam in the Hope Valley of Derbyshire was used by brave airmen for practice runs in WWII

RAF Battle of Britain Memorial Flight and 617 Squadron passes over reservoir's twin towers

Flypast one of many events to mark anniversary of the daring Dams Raid of May 16-17 1943

Read more: Dambusters: Lancaster bomber to perform flypast over reservoir used for WWII practice runs | Mail Online

K.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Interview with Dambusters leader

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Brady View Post
    There was a story the other day in the paper given by the last survivor of the dambuster crews he is now aged 93. Regards. Jim.B.

Will take a look for it, meanwhile you may like this:

'It's a hun. Great Heinkel, fat Heinkel, slipping along the air with a bomb load for London. You get closer and closer and when you're 50 yards away you press the button.' 1943 interview with Dambusters leader Guy Gibson unearthed

Read more: Dambusters then and now: Wing Commander Guy Gibson in rare 1943 interview and his modern-day successor discuss life in the legendary 617 squadron | Mail Online

K.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Last surviving Dambuster:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Brady View Post
    There was a story the other day in the paper given by the last survivor of the dambuster crews he is now aged 93. Regards. Jim.B.
    Must be this one Jim:

Britain's last surviving Dambuster has called for the public to support a £1million appeal to help maintain a memorial to the men of Bomber Command.

Squadron Leader George 'Johnny' Johnson, 91, is backing the RAF Benevolent Fund's Upkeep Club, which is asking 1,000 people to donate £1,000 towards the memorial as it prepares to mark the 70th anniversary of the Dambusters raid this Thursday.

The club is named after the nickname given to the bouncing bombs that were dropped over Germany in the raid, designed by Sir Barnes Wallis.

Read more: 70 years on, Britain's last Dambuster takes on one last mission: Flight sergeant, 91, appeals for 1,000 people to raise £1,000 each to protect Bomber Command memorial | Mail Online

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just watched the Ceremony on BBC2 TV, 7 to 8pm EXCELLENT, had four survivors of the Raid watching and also Barnes Wallace daughter. Interviewed by Dan Snow.and then the Lancaster circled and landed across from them with the RAF Band playing. with shots of the raid from old news reels.
    Brian.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast