Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New ebook: The Dam Busters. 70th Anniversary. (May 2013).

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default New ebook: The Dam Busters. 70th Anniversary. (May 2013).

Hi

Hope your all well. Just been reading some interesting RAF stories in the Forum. Haven't seen anything about the Dam Busters 70th Anniversary next month so thought I'd throw it in. Been in the forum before about my ebooks, mainly short ebooks at a low cost, packed with photographs and leading personalities of the day.
    (In the process of doing Battle of Atlantic convoy ebook due out for 70th Anniversary in May).

'Book Intro.'
    On the 70th Anniversary of the 'Dam Buster Raid.' We pay a tribute to RAF No. 617 Squadron. The brave men who breached Germany's industrial dams in the Ruhr Valley in May 1943. It became the most famous air operation in WW2.

Code named: 'Operation Chastise' a secret squad of Lancasters attacked the Mohne, Eder and Sorpe Dams with Dr Wallis-Barnes 'bouncing bombs.' The Dam Buster mission included aircrews from the Royal Australian Air Force, Royal New Zealand Air Force and Royal Canadian Air Force (& US crew).

In 1955, the 'Dam Busters' film, burst across cinema screens around the world to national acclaim. The daring exploits of Guy Gibson and 617 Squadron, were forever immortalised as 'The Dam Busters.' However, the success of Operation Chastise, which gave a major boost to the British war effort, would always be marred by the loss of 1,650 German civilians *(Not forgetting the great loss of civilian life suffered in England, ie May Blitz of Liverpool etc).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alex-Devaney/e/B009BLBSJ6

*Free ebooks: Looking for short book reviews for 'The Dam Busters' and 'Arctic Convoy Heroes.' If your interested in doing a book review of one or both of these ebooks (or any other ebooks from WW1 & WW2) please click into the link and send me an email (at bottom of author page) and will give more details.

Best Wishes, Alex.
    Last edited by Alex Devaney; 20th April 2013 at 06:41 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The sinking of the Scharnhorst by Alex Devaney
    Hi Alex, Here are the 14 inch guns of HMS DUKE OF YORK that helped to sink the SCHARNHORST. I was on her in 1949.
    Cheers
    Brian.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 20th April 2013 at 04:30 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Why Tragic Loss ?

Hi Alex, Why tragic loss of 1,650 german civilians in the Dam Busters raid.

In the first 4 months of the Blitz in London alone, 22.000 (22 Thousand) civilians died, that's without the one's that died in all our other Major cities,

I have memories of all the empty desks in school in the mornings after a night-time raid, and the teacher telling us that Tom or Charlie won't be

coming to school anymore as his house received a direct hit last night, I lived in an era when the only good German was a dead German.

So please no more tragic loss of Germans.

Fred.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In the May Blitz on Liverpool 1940, 2,400 died. Not Soldiers but people who lived in houses, who went to work to earn money to pay the rent and feed kids , all harmless.
    My Mother was blown up with a German Bomb in Bolton, we found her next day covered in rubble and injured, all her work mates were dead.
    Yes the only good German was a Dead One.
    Cheers
    Brian..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Salute to Capt Kong's Great Guns!

Hi Capt Kong

Great photo's, (is that you in the middle?). It's a better photo than the one in the book. It must of been great
    to be on HMS York and the fame she achieved after the sinking of the Scharnhorst. I still check in to see your
    sea stories, keep rolling them in!

Best Wishes Alex.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Alex, Yes that is me under the guns of the DUKE OF YORK. a good experience in those days, when we used to have a Royal Navy.
    Cheers
    Brian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Great Loss of english civilians in WW2.

Hi Frederick

My apologies, I have included in the 'Dam Buster Quote' the great loss of english civilians too. There are no winners in war. Your memory of the school room brings that home, very vividly, as I have a son in the junior school and can only imagine how tragic that was for all concerned.
    London and Liverpool were hit badly, as all major cities.

Best wishes.
    Alex.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

TO KING KONG's POST (English civilians in WW2).

Just a quick reply to your other quote about english civilians. I have re-edited the Dam Buster quote to include the loss of english civilians for Frederick. Don't like to offend anyone on this site as you still have very vivid memories of WW2 (Like your Mum and her work friends).

Your right about Liverpool May Blitz, my family often talked about it and there are still memorials of whole streets and large families who were
    blown up in WW2. That's why it's important to have a forum like this to make my generation and the younger generation realise how lucky we are to have our freedom.

I was about to sit down and have a few beers, it is saturday night! I hope everyone is okay now and if your having a few drinks make a toast
    to this wonderful site. Cheers.

Alex.
    Last edited by Alex Devaney; 20th April 2013 at 07:08 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default To King Kong (english civilians in ww2)

Just a quick reply to your other quote about english civilians. I have re-edited the Dam Buster quote to include the loss of english civilians for Frederick. Don't like to offend anyone on this site as you still have very vivid memories of WW2 (Like your Mum and her work friends).

Your right about Liverpool May Blitz, my family often talked about it and there are still memorials of whole streets and large families who were
    blown up in WW2. That's why it's important to have a forum like this to make my generation and the younger generation realise how lucky we are to have our freedom.

I was about to sit down and have a few beers, it is saturday night! I hope everyone is okay now and if your having a few drinks make a toast
    to this wonderful site. Cheers.

Alex.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Alex, it has been an interesting thread,
    Cheers
    Brian.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast