Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Hello

Hello everyone. I am a new member and am happy to be here and learn from others.

I'm looking for records of my father's burial at sea in 1952.

My father, Joseph Zarb, a Steward, was on what turned out to be his last voyage of a lifetime at sea - first in the Royal Navy then in the Merchant Navy- when he passed away on a voyage from Malta to Australia on the SS LARGS BAY.

My mother received his last letter dated 7 October, 1952 from Port Said, Egypt. The next piece of information was sent by Aberdeen and Commonwealth from Aden dated 11 October 1952 annouincing my father's death on 10 October 1952 while at sea.

I would appreciate any guidance or suggestion that would lead me to the ship's records or any other archive in order to confirm time and possible location of my father's passing and burial.

respectfully, Alfred

2. Thanks N/A, Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes Graham Payne, Bill Morrison liked this post
    Marian Gray Guest

Default Re: Hello

Hello Alfred, Welcome to the site, the Register of deceased Seamen below is from Find My Past hope it helps. Don't see an actual time of death unfortunately. Just posting what I can see at present. Can you confirm please his dob as 6/Sept/1900? If so, can furnish you with other details later today.

I'm sure Vernon will enlarge these pages for you shortly. Not sure if there is a connection with this family here?View digital copy (naa.gov.au) There are other records again for a Joseph Zarb possibly your grandfather?

Last edited by Doc Vernon; 5th December 2023 at 06:58 PM. Reason: adding links

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes have it as well from FMP , just snipped the one of his Death Marian.
    Cheers

Alfred
    Where was he originally from, and do you have a DOB please
    Thanks

Last edited by Doc Vernon; 5th December 2023 at 05:32 AM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

5. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Marian Gray Guest

Vernon, Could you enlarge the opposite side of the page also please as that gives vital information too re Joseph's cause of death, nationality, address etc. There are two lines in all. Thank you

Vernon, Re your ''Yes have it as well from FMP'' Are you saying you have a subscription also? If so, I could cancel mine as it is due for renewal shortly.
    Last edited by Marian Gray; 5th December 2023 at 09:01 AM. Reason: adding a PS

7. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Graham Payne, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Marian Gray Guest

Alfred, Use this link to apply for your father's MN records: It's free to join!

Name: Joseph Zarb . Official Number: LX 21004 . Date of Birth: 10 June 1901 . Place of... | The National Archives

Once you have Joseph's Ship names or Official numbers open this link for futher info on them:Crew List Index Project

The 1939 census record is available too if you wish, along with a few News Paper records, possibly extended family?
    Last edited by Marian Gray; 5th December 2023 at 01:03 PM. Reason: adding links

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you all for your generous responses.

Now I understand more clearly the bond between seamen that, I'm told, kept my father at sea till his dying day.

Any ideas if it's possible to search SS Largs Bay records for the entry of his death.

10. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Des Taff Jenkins, Graham Payne liked this post
    Marian Gray Guest

Hi Alfred, Cause of your fathers death is listed in #2

I'm not sure there is a separate record from SS Largs Bay per se. Hugh perhaps could answer that question for you, as I'm only a landlubber.

Also the link I gave you in #5 is actually for his Royal Navy Records my mistake therefore, the CLIP link would only apply to his MN Ships.

I'm sure Vernon will enlarge the rest of the page#2 for you when he signs in later this evening. It states that your fathers death was due to ''Heat Apoplexy and Coronary Thrombosis''
    Last edited by Marian Gray; 5th December 2023 at 02:59 PM. Reason: spelling

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred Zarb View Post
    Any ideas if it's possible to search SS Largs Bay records for the entry of his death.
    Welcome Alfred,

The document you would need is the Ship's Official Logbook. There is a problem though and that is its location. TNA Kew hold up until 1950 only that leaves you with the Maritime History Archive in Canada.
    They have not indexed the ship on their site so you will have to contact them and ask if they hold it. Sometimes only the Crew Agreement is held and not the logbook and for others maybe only the logbook is held and not the Crew Agreement, but both could also be held. In the narrative section of the logbook the Master would have noted the death at sea and any relevant facts.

So my advice would be to contact them at the address below and ask if they have the Ship's Official Logbook for LARGS BAY official number 137225 for the year 1952. You could mention his death date of October so it would aid any search. They should tell you what they have but if you need the actual documents there will be a charge which they will advise you.

Contact us

Maritime History Archive
    Memorial University of Newfoundland
    St. John's, NL
    A1B 1T5

709-864-8428
    If you have a research question, contact us at: mhares@mun.ca

For general enquiries: mha@mun.ca

Marian has linked to his RN record after 1939 but there is also one pre 1924 which I have attached. I am assuming here that the correct dob is June 1901. There is one CR1 Merchant Navy card for the same man who appears to have first gone to sea in the Merchant Navy in 1923 aboard MALATIAN official number 135534 also attached.

Regards
    Hugh
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Hugh; 5th December 2023 at 04:19 PM.
    "If Blood was the price
    We had to pay for our freedom
    Then the Merchant Ship Sailors
    Paid it in full”

www.sscityofcairo.co.uk

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Marian
    No i dont, i only now use Pay as you go from here when i need to, as the Yearly cost is far too much for this old Codger! LOL
    cHEERS
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

15. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Marian, I'm satisfied with links you provided for the cause of death. I will continue to pursue the SS Largs Bay logs to see if I can approximate the location on the Red Sea where he passed away.

My next quest for all you mariner sleuths out there is to find an approximate point on the Red Sea where the SS Largs Bay would have been on October 10 - 3 days out of Port Said and perhaps 1 day from Aden. How many nautical miles from Port Said?

The ship left Port Said (Eypt) on October 7, 1952 travelled through the Suez Canal onto the Red Sea on the way to Aden and then Ausralia.
    On October 11 Aberdeen Commonwealth sent notification from Aden of my fathers death October 10, 1952.

next Rum round on me.

cheers

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast