Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Hello

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Hello

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    So according to the Co Ordinates you give with that Search she should have been about where the Red Icon Shows on the Map.
    Well, Vernon, they are not my coordinates, but that of the ship's navigator/(OOW) who would enter regular positions in the Bridge Log. So yes, the red icon was the ship's position as recorded at the time of the death of Joseph Zard. It would have been a requirement for his death to be noted in the Ship's Official Logbook with the Master's signature and that of another officer such as the Mate. As the ship was at sea at the time of his death, the position of the ship would be taken from the Bridge Log or a new position requested [the last part is my assumption but there are plenty of ex-deck officers on this site who I am sure will correct me if I am wrong]. *just noted John S. #14 - Thanks John* The important bit is that the ship's position was recorded and that is why you can see it in the primary records i.e. the Deaths at Sea Register -it will have been taken from the Ships Official Logbook. I would also expect the time of death to be recorded in the Official Logbook too. I hope that helps.

Regards
    Hugh
    Last edited by Hugh; 6th December 2023 at 10:05 AM.
    "If Blood was the price
    We had to pay for our freedom
    Then the Merchant Ship Sailors
    Paid it in full”

www.sscityofcairo.co.uk

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I was deep sea it was usual to have Sunday morning as inspection day of all quarters on the vessel including fridges freezers pantries etc. those with the master were the heads of departments . Usually at the end of which they all resumed the inspection by any qualifying remarks about the results , accompanied of course by a lemonade in the masters cabin.This was usually the time of signing the OLB. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 6th December 2023 at 10:13 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#21 Sartorial is that a Yorkshire word ? Oops spelt it wrong. Was thinking of Sararumptious
    JS
    R575129

5. Likes N/A, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A knot is one nautical mile per hour. A nautical mile is one minute of latitude. The earth is not round as many believe but an elliptical shape with its polar diameter approximately 27 nautical miles less than its equatorial diameter, therefore a nautical mile will vary whatever latitude you are in , feet and inches only. But to keep everyone sane it was agreed long before any of us were around to call it as close to the average as workable and a nautical mile is 6080 feet. If you want to go into kilometres will have to get a set of conversion tables. Ivan is correct the word knot is as stated in its term as stated. JS however a reef knot is also as stated. Why ? Because it keeps Ivan’s and my trousers up and lies flat, if it doesn’t it’s a granny knot, a correct reef knot is always good also for wound dressings and hope Rodney used one when he fell and banged his head . If he tied it wrong he may have
    Wondered why people were shouting at him , Hey you’ve got a granny stuck on your head.
    JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 7th December 2023 at 06:01 AM.
    R575129

7. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#24 Knots are a measurement of speed not distance Vernon as your example the answer would be 15 knots ( only) JS.
    R575129

9. Likes Hugh, N/A, Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
    There is really only one way to do this given what we know. We can guess what speed and route the ship took and given departure dates and notifications by the shipping company we could make a reasonable guess at its position at the time but there are too many variables to be accurate. The one piece of information we do have is the position the ship was in at the time his death was reported. That is all you need. 16Deg32N - 41Deg06E. You can give Google Maps those coordinates and it will tell you it was between the Dahlak Archipelago and Farasan Island in the Red Sea. Here is a link: https://maps.app.goo.gl/ZwV5BnNpUT1ErEHA7

Regards
    Hugh
    So Hugh , when you say "The one piece of information we do have is the position the ship was in at the time his death was reported. That is all you need. 16Deg32N - 41Deg06E." do you mean that you've actaually figured what position the ship was at time of death - approx of coruse.

11. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred Zarb View Post
    do you mean that you've actaually figured what position the ship was at time of death - approx of coruse.
    Hi Alfred,

Please see Marian's post #2, second image which is a page from the Deaths at Sea Register - a primary record.
    Look down to the ship's name then along to the 'Place of Death' column and there you have it. No need to guess how far she travelled or how many knots she was doing.

Regards
    Hugh
    "If Blood was the price
    Paid it in full”

www.sscityofcairo.co.uk

13. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Keith Tindell, Ivan Cloherty liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My #29 was not what I wrote - there was a paragraph removed by a moderator without explanation. The post shows no sign of Moderator editing which is usual if someone edits a posting so why was my post edited without reference? Note if it was edited with reference then I would have been ok with it.

My paragraph that was removed stated: "my opinion, not that anyone is interested, is that a seaman would never say knots/hour but simply [insert number here] knots. What was wrong with that? It was my opinion and it didn't need to be removed. I am not prepared to continue on this site if this kind of censoring of reasonable content persists. If it was unreasonable then please say so.

Regards
    Hugh
    "If Blood was the price
    Paid it in full”

www.sscityofcairo.co.uk

15. Thanks N/A, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hugh, hope you are not considering leaving, this site would lose a very valuable member, just my thought. kt
    R689823

17. Thanks Hugh, N/A, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    Hugh, hope you are not considering leaving, this site would lose a very valuable member, just my thought. kt
    Thanks Keith, if anyone posts a comment that is censored by a moderator without a reference then we go to a bad place in my opinion. By all means if a moderator wants remove anything I said then edit the post and the moderator who edited it has his name attributable to the edit. That is fair, I then know who edited my comments and if they were unreasonable or against any rules then said editor should have said so and I would have been ok with it. The part that I am unhappy with is that something I wrote was edited by a moderator without reference i.e. the post looks unedited but it most certainly was edited and not by me. Again, if my comment was unreasonable or broke any rule then someone should have said so.

I will continue to answer posts on here for now but I will just leave the site if reasonable comment is disallowed here.

Regards
    Hugh
    "If Blood was the price
    Paid it in full”

www.sscityofcairo.co.uk

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast