Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Re: SS Aluco, (Shell) 1971 - Indian Ocean - Harry Dougherty [deceased in Mauritius] - any contacts?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: SS Aluco, (Shell) 1971 - Indian Ocean - Harry Dougherty [deceased in Mauritius] - any contacts?

Something of a long shot, but I am hoping to find anyone who was on board the SS Aluco (Shell Tankers (UK) Ltd) in Spring 1971. Harry Dougherty (R737414) was my father's brother, from Lancashire, and was on board the SS Aluco in the Indian Ocean around the end of May 1971 when he fell ill, was dropped off at Mauritius and sadly died there.
    Little is known about his last weeks / days as communication at the time was limited, and his death certificate doesn't given any meaningful info re cause of death. I am hoping to find anyone who might be able to remember Harry and anything of those events for my father, who is elderly now and would doubtless draw some comfort from any insight or memories of Harry.
    We've been able to locate his pouch at the National Archives, but the ship records aren't there or in Canada, so really am hoping there may be person(s) still alive who might be able to help,
    Thank you for reading,
    Michael
    Last edited by Michael Dougherty; 19th November 2023 at 07:07 PM.

2. Thanks N/A, Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Marian Gray Guest

Default Re: SS Aluco, (Shell) 1971 - Indian Ocean - Harry Dougherty [deceased in Mauritius] - any contacts?

Hello Michael, Welcome to the site. First search of the SS Aluco 1971, is below -it's free to join: Will also look on here too for any records available. Keep looking in.
    (2) Aluco | Ships Nostalgia,

4. Thanks Michael Dougherty, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you Marian, that's very kind of you

6. Likes Doc Vernon, N/A, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Dougherty View Post
    Thank you Marian, that's very kind of you
    Michael, have you tried the Shell Facebook?

8. Thanks N/A, Michael Dougherty, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Marian Gray Guest

Good Morning Michael, Have found nothing new pertaining to Harry's death, sorry. I include the Newspaper extract as I think it may be of him? Photograph unfortunately is grainy though.

Think your best bet is to join Ships Nostalgia as the ship was mentioned there also Tony's suggestion of Shell facebook too is another step in the right direction. keep looking in here as your post will not yet have been read by all members. Any other questions please ask we all help where we can. Good luck.

Last edited by Doc Vernon; 21st November 2023 at 07:32 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Tony,

I don't use Facebook, but that's therefore something I hadn't thought of. My dad does, though, so I'll suggest he tries there. Thank you, very kind of you to raise this

- - - Updated - - -

Good afternoon Marian,
    That's amazing! It will be Harry, he worked on that boat in the 60's - I doubt we've seen that article before, thank you so much for sharing! I'll keep plugging away, sincere thanks for taking the time, it's really kind of you
    Best regards
    Michael
    Last edited by Michael Dougherty; 20th November 2023 at 03:15 PM.

11. Thanks Tony Taylor thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Adding a photo of Harry Dougherty to this post[ATTACH=CONFIG]36716[/ATTACHScreenshot 2023-11-20 at 15.16.11.jpg
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 21st November 2023 at 07:33 AM.

13. Thanks Doc Vernon, N/A, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Guess you may already have his Seamans Pouch, but in case this is the Link for it!
    Dont know if there would be any info on it that could help, but i think that possibly his CRS10 would be a better bet , as that would have all his Sea Career , Ships etc, and may have some other info on it?
    Cheers

R737414 DOUGHERTY H J 17/05/1944 LANCASTER | The National Archives

His CRS10 i think would be found here!

Dorr P C to Doughty W | The National Archives

Please check Hugh! As this name is one i guess may be somewhere else!??

There is also the Newfoundland Maritime Archive, that should hold Crew lists, and i feel that getting this will also help, as i have found that a lot of these lists give more info than just Crew lists. Mine for instance gives a lot of incidents that happened on Board! so who knows!??

Crew List Index Search (mun.ca)

Last edited by Doc Vernon; 21st November 2023 at 08:19 AM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

15. Thanks Michael Dougherty, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Hugh, N/A, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks so much Doc - yes, we found the seaman's pouch but weren't aware of the CRS10. Looks like another day out to Kew is in order!

I *think* the crew list for the SS Aluco is one of the ones that didn't survive the trip to Canada, but I'm going to double check.

I found a website https://www.helderline.com with lots of information regarding Shell Tankers over the years, including contact names of people who served on them listed a little like a "Friends Reunited" or Facebook set up. Sadly I can't seem to get messages to send through it, and also, having found that the Captain from 1971 was on there, also established that he sadly died a few years ago.

I'll try the Crew List again today

Thank you again for taking the time, it's really kind of you

Warm regards
    Michael

17. Likes N/A, Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Marian Gray Guest

Had a look on that site too Michael. Listing the names here who also served on the ALUCO in 1971 in the off chance members here might know any of them. Have also sent you an email, check your junk box please.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast