Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Re: SS Aluco, (Shell) 1971 - Indian Ocean - Harry Dougherty [deceased in Mauritius] - any contacts?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: SS Aluco, (Shell) 1971 - Indian Ocean - Harry Dougherty [deceased in Mauritius] - any contacts?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    His CRS10 i think would be found here!
    Dorr P C to Doughty W | The National Archives
    Please check Hugh! As this name is one i guess may be somewhere else!??
    That is correct Vernon

Quote Originally Posted by Vernon
    There is also the Newfoundland Maritime Archive, that should hold Crew lists, and i feel that getting this will also help, as i have found that a lot of these lists give more info than just Crew lists. Mine for instance gives a lot of incidents that happened on Board! so who knows!??

Crew List Index Search (mun.ca)
    The crew lists are indexed by Ship's Official Number and if not shown on the site then it has likely not been indexed and is stored off site. The important bit is knowing the Official Number which I believe for ALUCO is 300990.
    Email them and ask if they hold the Logbook/Crew Agreement for the year you want. Hopefully they have it as they hold up to 1976.

Regards
    Hugh
    "If Blood was the price
    We had to pay for our freedom
    Then the Merchant Ship Sailors
    Paid it in full”

www.sscityofcairo.co.uk

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: SS Aluco, (Shell) 1971 - Indian Ocean - Harry Dougherty [deceased in Mauritius] - any contacts?

Thanks Marian,
    I can't see any email in my inbox or junk - although my email does behave strangely at times. Do you mean to the email I have registered with this website?
    Thank you again

- - - Updated - - -

Very helpful Hugh, thanks so much.

I have that number for the Aluco also (300990) - per photo attached. If not held at N Newfoundland, does that mean the records are likely 'lost'?

Kind regards
    Michael
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 22nd November 2023 at 01:05 AM.

3. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Dougherty View Post
    I have that number for the Aluco also (300990) - per photo attached. If not held at N Newfoundland, does that mean the records are likely 'lost'?
    If not held by Newfoundland it is likely they were never transferred or were disposed of. You will need to email them about the ship as it definitely has not been indexed under that number so they will need to check off site. They are usually quite good at communicating so go for it. If they have the logbook check the narrative section for any reference to Harry. The Master may have noted the fact that he was ill and left the ship and any further relevant information.

Regards
    Hugh
    Last edited by Hugh; 21st November 2023 at 01:17 PM.
    "If Blood was the price
    We had to pay for our freedom
    Then the Merchant Ship Sailors
    Paid it in full”

www.sscityofcairo.co.uk

Marian Gray Guest

#12, Hi Michael, I sent the email via the one you used to register on here with. Will send you a private message [PM] instead.

I also posted a request for former shipmates of Harry's on the Ship's Nostalgia site for you, as one of the members was on the ALUCO in 1971 his name is Ken Wood...I knew I reconised it from somewhere
    Will let you know of any feed back in due course.

PM sent.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

By way of update and with many thanks to all who have commented, and particularly to Marian and Tony. I have joined Facebook and managed to join a Shell Tankers group, and within hours have managed to find and connect with a shipmate who was on board when Harry fell ill, and remembers being informed of his passing. There may be more questions and answers to come through this route and others, but I wanted to just let those who have commented know that your generous time and suggestions have really made a difference. It has provided a real boost of energy to learn as much as I possibly can to give my Dad some answers,

Thank you

Michael

7. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Marian Gray Guest

Please keep us posted. Good to hear you are making headway Michael, delighted for you. Hope it brings comfort for you and your Dad. Best Wishes.
    Last edited by Marian Gray; 22nd November 2023 at 05:24 PM.

9. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2