Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ship Crew for HMLST3011

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Ship Crew for HMLST3011

Just a few words on the HMLS ,s tanks or otherwise. My previous remark in my neighbour being a fire chief from Plymouth who was also on a HMLST on the Normandy beaches in 1944. I got the impression that a lot of those who were in charge of these vessels when in action were naval CPOs such as Cox”ns . Also for a number of years after the war the British Armed Forces had quite a number of these who I think came under the Army umbrella, which transported stores around the various bases in the Meddy .I was up for 2nd. Mate in 1957 and even then they were looking for 2nd. mates certificates , to drive such and if you were acceptable offered a temporary 2nd lieutenants commission .Anyone else come across this offer about this time.? I think they got quiet a few
    applicants .
    JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 6th February 2022 at 11:48 AM.
    R575129

2. Thanks Stephen Harding, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Stephen my old neighbour who was on such landing craft as your picture , could even be one of the people on your group photograph , such miracles have been known to happen. Just in case any unknown names pop up in your endeavours his name was John Fiddaman . He was however Royal Navy. JS.
    PS the head appearing between the other two heads on your right of the picture and having the sort of mind I have , could with a little imagination be that person in his much younger years . But there again I have been accused in the past of seeing things that aren’t there. I still believe in ghosts , but am a bit confused about Santa Claus. All the best in your endeavours . JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 7th February 2022 at 01:14 AM.
    R575129

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I sailed with a Chief Office called Joseph Sheffield in about 1956. He told me that when he got his 2nd. mates after serving with P & O, he was also a RANR, he was sent to USA to bring a LST back to meddy. When he got there he was told he was to lead a number of LST's to meddy as he was the only commander who had could navigate.
    Another story he told,was when loading for landing in Italy, he said he could not take all he had been assigned cargo. They said,dump that jeep you have acquired and we will give you a new one when you get back. They honoured there commitment.

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks all for your help, just wanted to update everyone, you were correct he was in the Royal Navy they managed to find him and his service number with yet another different birthday of 3rd September 1925 born Liverpool so part of the mystery continues
    Thanks again

8. Thanks j.sabourn, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2