Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Searching for family member Nikos or Dimitrious Tavoularis

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Searching for family member Nikos or Dimitrious Tavoularis

Hi Mark Brogan from Newport, Wales has been searching for some time for his biological father. We now believe that he is deceased but his name was either Dimitrious or Nikos Tavoularis. He was the captain of a vessel visiting Wales in 1971. Is there any way that we can find any further information?
    Thanks

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Des Taff Jenkins, Graham Payne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Searching for family member Nikos or Dimitrious Tavoularis

Hello Jo
    All depends if you know what Service he was in, was it the British Merchant Navy or Greek Merchant Perhaps! I have just made very quick search but no Surname of that comes up in the Archives. But if he was still at Sae after 1972 then there will not be any records for him.
    Do you have a place or date of Birth?
    Anything else will assist us to help you
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi the information that we were given was that it was a small vessel docking regularly ie maybe fortnightly and under a greek flag. We need to keep in mind that these are peoples memories from 50 years ago. Many of the vessels didn't fit that description. Mark narrowed it down to the Butendiek and Anneleise K. We looked at the Newport records and the Butendiek did not have a Greek captain and captain of Annaliese not listed. We were given the name Demetrios.
    We think he was born in southern Greece. We have a DNA match 2nd cousin once removed with a Tavoularis. If it is a Tavoularis he may have come from Karea in Southern Peloponese. We don't know his age in 1971. I would guess 30. Thanks for your interest.

- - - Updated - - -

Afraid I can only guess his age in 1971. Around 30 years old. It's said that the vessel had a Greek flag. Don't know if that helps.

5. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Des Taff Jenkins, Graham Payne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for your reply. Is there a Greek registry of seafarers that we could search or request a search. We have a multipronged approach so have searched many databases, followed up DNA matches, unfortunately many people don't reply.
    Regards Jo

7. Likes N/A, Graham Payne, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

These ancestry searches are not my thing, as we have so many great expert volunteers and I would hate to give wrong information, but have you contacted the Greek Embassy in London for advice on where to search. I had occasion once to contact a Greek Bank in London some years ago and they went above and beyond to help me, perhaps the people in the Embassy may be the same, one can only hope

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I knew my parents and my grandparents and that’s enough for me. My own kids go a lot into deeper past history and they either tell me or they don’t . I am not that inquisitive enough to stir up any skeletons that may be in the cupboard. Over the years have had people coming up to me and saying they are related , and like you Ivan as long as I don’t owe them money through some long lost second cousin of a twice removed Aunty , am quite willing to talk to them socially and maybe return Xmas cards before someone falls off the perch. As said my son had his tests and is supposed to be near as damn 60% Scottish 40% English a bit of Irish and a squirt of Danish. So all things being equal suppose I am similar. However my name is John and not Johann . However think the people on the site do a marvellous job in assisting those who want other things from life. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 25th January 2022 at 09:34 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All very well searching but you could end up with a situation not to your liking.

A cousin of mine tried many years ago only to find out a cousin of his a generation or so back had been sentenced to death for murder.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

11. Likes Graham Payne, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for your continued help. We continue to follow different leads. There is a FB page for the village of Karea where the Tavoularis family originated. We are currently waiting for a response from them. We revisited information in relation to vessels visiting Newport Docks in 1971 but nothing stood out.
    We appreciate your efforts and thank everyone who replied.

13. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Graham Payne, N/A, Denis O'Shea liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast