Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Help with a CR10 from 1919

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Help with a CR10 from 1919

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    It is with temerity that I disagree with you Billy, as your knowledge is far greater than mine will ever be, my fathers number with an 'R' prefix was issued in 1927 R96096. the R prefix came in around 1925.
    Confusing, as documents I have state that in 1927 Dis. A No's were still 7 digits and no R prefix.

Dis.A.No.jpg
    "Across the seas where the great waves grow, there are no fields for the poppies to grow, but its a place where Seamen sleep, died for their country, for you and for peace" (Billy McGee 2011)

2. Thanks N/A, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All I can say is that I have his books in front of me.

He was indentured on 29th June 1927, completed his indentures on 29th June 1931 in Shanghai, he was promoted to QM on 29.6.31 and the this was the first entry into his book as QM on the 'Vancouver City'

First Book is Dark Blue (with a flap) with R96096 on the front as well as Board of Trade Emblem, 2nd book is light blue, As we know, as indentured apprentices we are issued our books on signing Indentures, but no entry is made into them until you have completed your indentures. Non indentured cadets get entries on joining their first ship, I'd already served three and half years and on 8 vessels before getting an entry in my book.

My father also served on eight vessels before getting an entry into his book. His first years salary was £10, his fourth years was £12

I can only go by the information in front of me, as I've said before, most have superior knowledge on these matters than myself

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just received this email from Hugh. Never to old to learn.

Afternoon Billy,

How are you doing? I hope you and the family are all well.

I was taking a quick look at Brian's site and noticed a question about the beginning of the 'R' prefix which was in 1925. Have a look at this piece of research I did on SN

https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/threa.../#post-2949993

It may be the case that some smaller MMO's still had their allocation of old numerical books to use up but certainly Dis A, number 'R1' was issued in 1925. I hope that helps.
    "Across the seas where the great waves grow, there are no fields for the poppies to grow, but its a place where Seamen sleep, died for their country, for you and for peace" (Billy McGee 2011)

5. Thanks N/A, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My fault , working off a small iPad. And not seeing too good , I assumed the A was an R and was part of the 6 figure number. JS . Ivan a mistake on the master , my first trip as an apprentice he stamped my book by mistake still have the book with the stamp , and a blank page for the next 3 years . The book was filled , and a further two books as well. Plus foreign flag discharges. The only person not requiring a discharge on a British ship was the master. Then they brought in the updating of knowledge , and you had to prove that you had 2 years seatime in every 5 years , so any of the 3 books I have are stamped with discharges to keep my own record and save time when I had to prove any seatime. Gives one a kick giving oneself a discharge , good job the DR system was gone by this time . Cheers JS

PS your dad went a day over his time. Counting time as for wage pay offs he did 4 years and 1 day. Hope he got it .Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 5th December 2021 at 02:20 PM.
    R575129

7. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#13 I rest my case!

9. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#12 Ivan. Saw your post and have my better-half's late uncle's Dis. Ch. book reissued in 1915 original lost with sinking of vessel by enemy action. Interesting to read the discharges, spent some years after WW1 in ships around Shanghai and Hong Kong.
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, Ivan Cloherty, j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#16. Bill from 1966 to 1971 I spent time on 4 foreign flag ships , they were the Sunprincess (Liberian,) the Maratha Endeavour and the Maratha Envoy (Bahamas ) , and the Glendalough (Gibraltar. ) I had altercations on the last one and walked off in Japan. 0n returning to British ships I knew the BSF would try and hang me out to dry so had made sure any discharges I had which to them were unacceptable were paper ones only. Sure enough when I showed my face at the BSF for clearance after getting the job myself , they started to question where I had been , and true to tradition I told them to mind their own business. And was surprised they just signed the paperwork.This was in 1971 so that must have been about the time the Red Ensign was on its way out , and probably the staff at the federation could see their own doomsday approaching also. Apart from the last FF vessel the others were good , and if it hadn’t been for that last one my life would probably have finished up on FF trampships. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 5th December 2021 at 10:46 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So looking at this initial Thread as he was Born 1878 his First Ship was in 1919, making him a late starter at 41, then at some 52 Years his last Ship as the entry states.
    So accordingly he had a CR10 as shown with is Number 508811 a six digit one. ???

So would fall under the 1913 to 1940 Fourth Register of Merchant Seaman's service

[ARCHIVED CONTENT] Merchant Seaman and Shipping Records - Your Archives (nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Actually i think held at the Southampton Maritime Archives.
    Cheers

Central index of Merchant Seamen (southampton.gov.uk)
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 6th December 2021 at 03:16 AM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

14. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2