Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Gordon T Bell

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Gordon T Bell

I am trying to find information on my late cousin Gordon T Bell born 24th September 1937 in Hull, and died 2000 in New Zealand. I was the excecutor of his fathers estate and included in the personal papers I have in my trust, are letters from Gordon to his father,but obviously no identity papers ,and I am curious to know what course he would have taken at the Boulevard.
    As far as I can see his first vessel was the SS Elstree Grange from a letter dated May 1956,and then I have a full list of vesels until he was signed off the Hudson Deep sometime in the 1960s in New Zealand

Many Thanks

Bernard Hill

2. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Gordon T Bell

#1 Bernard he was the same age as me 8 months younger. And assuming he was on deck he would have done a pre sea course and if so was probably apprenticed to a shipping company . If a similar course to me at South Shields , he would have commenced at 15 , but think the Boulevard started at an earlier age in some cases . It was a stop gap by that era in time as school leaving age was 15 and the earliest age for going to sea was 16. If he was a deck apprentice he would have done 4 years at sea less any sea time allowed for his time at the school which was 6 months if he did 12 months at the school . He would have then sat his 2 mates certificate of competency and if passed would have received at the minimum age of 20 , further seatime in different ranks and he would have been eligible to sit for 1 mate and master certificates , this all going well would probably finish when he was 26/27 years of age , but on the other hand could be at a much later age depending on circumstances. Sorry about his earlier death than normal. Hope this gives you a better idea of what he was all about. Regards JS......
    If on the other hand he decided to scrub the certification he could have continued on as an Able bodied seaman or some other shipboard position. Do you know how he arrived in NZ was it the way that many took or was it the legal way. ? JS....
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 24th July 2021 at 01:53 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

First and Last Vessels

ELSTREE GRANGE. O.N. 169783, 7,219GRT 'Liberty' cargo ship compl. 1/1944 as SAMETTRICK by Bthlehem-Fairfield,Baltimore , USA for British Govmt('managed by P & O,London.)
    1947 Became Houlder Brothers Ltd.London ELSTREE GRANGE
    1960 Sold to Polish SS Co,Szczecinin.Renamed KOPALNIA MIECHOWICHE
    3/1972 Broken up at Split,Yugoslavia.
    169783 Elstree_Grange-ex Samettrick.jpg
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

m.v.HUDSON DEEP O.N.184688, Cargo ship 6,198 grt compl. 4/1952 by Readhead,South Shields for Hudson SS Co.Ltd;London.
    1972 Sold to Cyprian owners.Renamed IRENES HOPE.
    End :- While on a voyage from Civitavecchia,Rome to Dammam,Saudi Arabia with a general cargo she sank NW of Alexandria on 13th December 1978 after being abandoned by her crew due to engine trouble.All crew safely rescued and taken to Kalilimenes,southern Crete.
    Last edited by Graham Shaw; 24th July 2021 at 07:37 PM.

5. Thanks Doc Vernon, N/A, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins, N/A, John F Collier liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

His Seamans Pouch here which will hold basic info, also will need his CRS10 which will hold all his details ,Ships etc i will look that up in a wee while and post here
    Cheers

https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...ils/r/C8403949

Reference: BT 372/1701/161
    Description: R601851 BELL G T 24/09/1937 HULL
    Date: 1913 - 1972
    Held by: The National Archives, Kew
    Former reference in its original department: R601851
    Legal status: Public Record(s)
    Closure status: Open Document, Open Description
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

His CRS10 should be within this Searies, but could also be in another later Series as an overlap.

Bell Daniel to Bell James Francis | The National Archives

Bell Derek to Bell Joseph William | The National Archives
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

8. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My naturalisation date for Australia was about 4 years after our arrival in Oz Marian , this was because the Oz law at that time was you had to have at least 2 years continuous living in the country before applying. Due to occupation I was often disappearing to foreign parts , so to get the 2 years criterion had to restrict work to Australian Waters. The same as OAP to have at least 10 years working in Australia to receive. Although I worked 11 years in Australia , until you got your brain removed you got no tax allowances and paid tax on every penny or cent you earned . There are a lot of things which one may not agree with , but the law is the law , and it was worth the minor hardships at the time . The person you are researching there is the possibility that he may have jumped as many did . That was why I was enquiring how he finally arrived to live in NZ. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#1. Bernard if you have absolutely no idea about shipping whatsoever , then , on joining a sea school the very first lecture would go something like this , “ what is a merchant ship ? “ , It is a vessel used to carry goods from what one part of the world to another, and for this purpose the vessel is divided up into sections called holds by walls called bulkheads , and the lecture would advance into the nautical descriptive words of the various parts of a ship which are numerous and if one stayed at sea they would probably still continue to use long after going ashore in later life confusing many people who wouldn’t know one end of a ship from the other. Basically walls are Bulkheads and floors are decks , ceilings are deckheads , the list goes on. Tumblehomes aren’t going home drunk but something totally different. Hope you can get what you are seeking , all the best . JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Re: Gordon T Bell

#9 JS. I used to think a Strum Box was the case to keep one's ukelele in.
    and ....a Sextant was a tiny six-legged insect that was checked whether 'twas male or female.
    and a MacGregor Cover was a shelter in the garden for a certain Beatrix Potter gentleman to keep an eye on his vegetables from being decimated by naughty rabbits.
    ......and a Binnacle was a little rubbish container.
    ...and a Deviascope was something a pervy butler would use to spy on the Mistress of the House.
    and Dipping the Ensign meant lowering it into the water.
    and Log Tables were the trestles that Chippy constructed on the poopdeck for the crew barbecues.
    There's hundreds more.....

Mind you,long before I got troubled by learning about marine vocabulary,I had trouble coming to understand words like...picturesque,which sounded to me like a picture that wasn't hanging straight,not helped by a big sister who told me it was pronounced "picture skew" ,and seeing a shop called "Panache" which begged the question why a round flat inanimate frying utensil with a handle could possibly feel any pain ......pan ache !
    Oh Well !

Cheers GS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#11 Did you also think a blister ship was covered in elastoplasts ? A schooner was an Australian glass of beer , and a dreadnought was an anti VD kit. And the VD stood for very daring ?. Cheers JS
    PS maybe the last two words would be more appropriate to say very dosey like one of Snow whites 7 dwarfs . JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 25th July 2021 at 01:54 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I never sailed on a Dreadnought, but I got plenty of discharges from a Schooner.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast