Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Where does one go, to sign on to a ship today?Th

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Where does one go, to sign on to a ship today?Th

There was no one faster at shafting seafarers than those who went from sea staff to office/shore staff. BP was famous for it certainly in the 80's,90's and 00's

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis McColl View Post
    There was no one faster at shafting seafarers than those who went from sea staff to office/shore staff. BP was famous for it certainly in the 80's,90's and 00's
    Not true of everyone who went from sea to shore staff, I worked my ******** off getting improved conditions for the seafarers in the company I was appointed Supt. I like to think I succeeded from the letters (some of which I still have) I got from the Masters of the ships under my control. Generalisations can be erroneous, and a lot depends upon the attitude of the sea staff as well, some don't want to be helped, because they like moaning and sh*t stirring. There are two sides to a coin.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There were different attitudes to the job as there is in all walks of life , I remember the personnel managerof the company I served my time with , and no doubt if things had been different I would have retired with, had the usual conflict of interests on board between deck and engine room with the usual squabbles similar to what goes on here at times. When I mentioned to him it was a Storm in a teacup , he said I know and like it that way , it keeps any flack away from himself and the company , in other words fight among yourself and donít bother me. I have always remembered that as the way the shipowner works, and tend to carry on myself to the same sort of storms in teacups on here, reminds me of a girls school at times , I went to a mixed school so always kept on the right side of the girls. Or kept my opinions to myself. JS
    As regards BP I know people made redundant with same and they got way above the odds on redundancy, my son in law was one a shore worker but he still gets a pension From same. JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 7th May 2021 at 01:12 AM.
    R575129

4. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John.
    I can only wish. But I don't look back in anger.
    Des
    Lest We Forget

6. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Ivan Cloherty liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don’t either Des , but I would never make the same mistake twice if could be helped. I learned to always look for credibility in a person or an employer , if that is or was lacking then the proverbial barge pole should come into play. There are many such people around , and once they get their feet under the table flourish like the proverbial pox. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 7th May 2021 at 03:40 AM.
    R575129

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3