Thread: Mariner's Current and Ideal Culture Perception

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Mariner's Current and Ideal Culture Perception

Hi everyone,

I hope that you are all keeping well.

For my final year dissertation project at the University of Plymouth, I am conducting an Organizational Culture Assessment Questionnaire that is especially aimed at qualified Deck Officers and Cadets in training within the Merchant Navy. The survey is looking at participants perception with regard to both current and desired cultural state onboard. An average of both will be obtained, assessing if individual or teamwork performance is more encouraged and rewarded.

Thank you in advance.

Best Regards

Questionnaire Link Deleted!
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 17th February 2021 at 08:52 PM.

2. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Mariner's Current and Ideal Culture Perception

Somehow I think you may be on the wrong site for your purposes, as most of the seafarers contributing on this site from the experiences they relay are aged from 60 - 90+ years old.

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Juan
    Sorry but NO Questionaires or Surveys allowed on this site, there fore i will be deleting the Link on your Post.
    Thanks you
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Was Chief Officer with Mobil Shipping Company, but finish early as my wife Sue lost two babies. I decided to leave my job to be close to my wife. We decided to retail fashion jewellery and also Gold and Silver jewellery. We bought 2 lock up stalls on Scunthorpe Market and also Ashby Market. We also bought a rundown Petrol Station and re named it Kirks Korner. We were attended service so both of us were tired by the end of the day. 6am to 10pm.
    We did prove we were viable so we had a total revamp of the forecourt and Shop. We were the first Q8 Station in the UK. I was the local Labour Councillor and was on hand if anyone in my ward had a problem. I became the Mayor of North Lincolnshire. I sold the business in 2003 due to my ill health we moved from Number 12 to number 70 on the same road. So retired early bought a Boat and a Motorhome and travelled Europe. We now have 3 Grandkids from my daughter. Paula. Kind regards to you all who read this post. Paul and Sue. xx
    Last edited by Paul Kirk; 18th February 2021 at 01:31 AM.

7. Thanks j.sabourn, N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#4. Paul when you say you were ch.off. With mobile was that in the days where a lot of tankers had 4 mates and the ch.officer was on daywork and there for the cargo side mainly. In the 70s I was being pushed to get tanker experience ,and to do this I went 1st. Mate , on arrival Japan from the gulf the chief officer was relieved and I was promoted to Chief officer and also 1st mate , to make matters worse the pumpman was also paid off. The short time I sailed with a designated Ch.off. In my view he had a better job than the master. I also learned how important was the pumpman on a tanker. I never heard after my 12 months on Jacobs tankers of them having 4 mates on a ship. Maybe they did , or maybe this was the same throughout the tanker world . My query , was it? Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi JS, Mobil had a third mate, 2 Second Mates and myself as Chief Officer. We also had 2 Deck Cadets. I must say we also had Foreign Indian Crew. They served between 6 to 12 months, depending where the ship was.
    I did relieve the 4 to 8 Officer for him to get a meal. It kept me on my toes. Mobil is a great Company and looked after all staff on board. Kind Regards Paul.

10. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That sort of manning re the number of mates , I doubt if is there today. What sort of era are we talking about. I was on two products carriers, and had to learn from others what was compatable with what. Also to keep the 4/8 watch. And can’t see mobile keeping 4 especially after the demanning got under way. Think maybe you were lucky and got out at the right time . Both vessels I was on had 21 tanks , 4 of which forward were paraffin and kerosene tanks and these had their own steam pump room which normally the pumpman would have started and stopped , with no pumpman you had to do yourself , the two other mates doing 6 on and 6 off on the ullages etc. and whatever
    Popped up , the other 17 tanks when running to Japan were mainly Naptha and jet 1 2 or 3 fuel. These were controlled by centifrugal pumps from the E.R. And by levers through the bulkhead in the after pumproom to control the speed of the pumps by whoever was on duty on the deck. I was never inclined towards tankers I liked to sight the cargo as it came onboard and not look into sample bottles , which seemed to be never ending taking such.
    Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 18th February 2021 at 04:16 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    I liked to sight the cargo as it came onboard and not look into sample bottles , which seemed to be never ending taking such.
    Cheers JS
    At our age we're still looking into sample bottles!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

At our age Ivan the problem is hitting them . JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)