Thread: Looking for information on my great uncle Thomas Taylor

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Looking for information on my great uncle Thomas Taylor

Hello. My great uncle Thomas Taylor was born on 10 July 1879 at Monkwearmouth. He served on the following ships: RMS Tongariro as 2nd Steward [1913]; SS City of Genoa as Steward [1919]; SS Hororata as Steward [1920]; SS Paporoa as Steward [1921]; SS Esperance Bay as Steward [1939]. In Sep 1939 he was living at 56 Wigston Road, West Ham and described as a pantry man. That is the last sighting I have of him, no record of his death has been found. He would have been 60 in 1939 and I have wondered if he might have served on ships during WW2. The documentation I have traced shows his CR10 Number of Identity Cert. 849837 and his Disc A Number 817856. Any thoughts on where I might look for further information?

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Looking for information on my great uncle Thomas Taylor

Hello David
    As you already have his CRS10 i would just in case look closely at that Document, and see if it tells of his Next Ship (If he stayed after 39 ) then if it does, you can then trace him on a crew list!?

Other than that it wiil be rather difficult, but who knows someone else here may come up with other ideas!
    Cheers

Were the parents First names Thomas and Jane ??

It also suggest that if you have his CRS10 that should have been his full Record for Merchant Navy Sea Service, so doubt if there woud be any other??

He could well have at some stage gone somewhere else by Ship, possibly to Australia or South Africa t live ?? Who Knows!

Davis can you please upload the CRS10 as i would like to have a look through it. Thanks
    cHEERS

This Link would of course give you the Crew list for his last ship you mention Esperance Bay in 1939, so should have his Next Ship ??

151649; 151802; 151988; 152099; 152236; 152301; 152787 | The National Archives
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 2nd February 2021 at 10:20 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

4. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Monkwearmouth just out side of Sunderland, knew kit well as a kid going up to see my GGfather in Sunderland.

As to the ss Paparoa think that is the same one I sailed on in 1964.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Doc. Thanks for the information. You are correct! Thomas was the son of Thomas Taylor and Jane Liddle, and the grandson of George Taylor and Jane Ritchie. Both Thomas senior and George were in the merchant service.

Thomas senior was born in 1855 in Monkwearmouth. I have his apprenticeship indenture as an engine fitter and turner. I have some of the ships he served on: SS Jutland 1881 as 2nd Engineer; SS York 1899 as 2nd Engineer; SS Warkworth 1900 as 1st Engineeer; SS Island Queen 1911 as 2nd Engineer. He was admitted to Brentwood Mental Hospital on 6 Apr 1921 and he died there on 6 May 1927. I do not know if his mental problems were associated with an incident at sea. Sadly his medical records are lost.

His father George was born in Monkwearmouth in 1822 and died there in 1891. I have a record of the ships he sailed on. He rose to the rank of Master Mariner.

Turning back to Thomas junior, I am uploading his CRS10 for your perusal.

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you will try and investigate futher
    Will post later if i find anything
    Cheers

PS I just wanted to check if there was perhaps anything you may have missed, but on looking and re-check on the Ships i see you have them all listed as per his Records!

So at this time i feel that to try what i have posted in my last Post, may be the only way now ??
    Cheers

Added As said and now seen the date Stamp was 1939 and thats when you said he went missing? His CRS10 is the full Record ,so seems that he either immigrated or whatever?? Mystery Man.??
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 3rd February 2021 at 06:39 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

10. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post