Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Can I get a Sateroom Steward job on any ship, if I have been living in California

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Can I get a Sateroom Steward job on any ship, if I have been living in California

Seaman's No: R819979

Hey Ladies and gentleman, seafarers ALL,

I have been living in California for years, but I would enjoy returning to the British Merchant Navy. It seems likely that it would be far easier to get a Stateroom Steward job if requesting it through channels in England. I have a long list of Passenger Liners I have worked on, in my early years. I still hold my "Board of Trade" identification Seaman Discharge Book, plus my British Seaman's ID Card and a British Passport, America Passport, and a European Community Passport.

I have a great deal of experience and already had my virus shots.

A little older obviously, divorced but just to be on the rolling waves, would be the greatest gift I can think of.

My last doctor visit showed me in excellent health, my exercise routines, and foreign herbal, holistic medicine.

Can anybody offer any assistance in this matter?
    YoursRespectfully,

David

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Can I get a Sateroom Steward job on any ship, if I have been living in California

Hi Dave .
    Welcome to the site, just a query what British Merchant Navy are you talking about? It dissapeared years ago, it no longer exists. You would have to apply to the Liner Companies who mostly now are flagged overseas and carry Philipino crews. Still worth a try.
    Why don't you list your ships here there maybe blokes who sailed with you in the old days.
    Cheers Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Can I get a Sateroom Steward job on any ship, if I have been living in California

Hello David
    With all that you have i see no reason why it would not be possible to return to the Sea. As i live in Aussie i cannot give advice on where to go, but would think that if you made application through the correct channels, it should be quite easy ??

What is your age if i mat ask! That may be the only thing if too old to start again, but if Fit as you say then ??

Well worth a try and i sure would if i had all that you have and was a lot younger!

Best of British as they say
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

David, as a BR your best bet is the cruise industry, only ones that still have such.
    There area number of agencies that source such from across the globe.
    If you register with one you may get some work, or you could write to some of the bigger companies such as Princess, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and there ae many others.
    good luck with your quest.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

7. Likes Doc Vernon, john walker liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dave, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, we have to face a reality check here, 85 -90% of the world's passenger ships are currently out of service, 400,000 seamen worldwide are currently unemployed, most from cheap labour countries, most of them will be in the catering/entertainment side of shipping. However God loves a trier and you are on the spot and although Calif is a long way from Florida Cruise capital, there is no harm in starting to bombard the various cruise companies with letters and photo copies of your documents as they may well appreciate someone of experience, as I suspect many of the 400k unemployed will walk away from the sea. I suggest a letter rather than email in the first instance as it gives a better impression; it may take more time, but time well spent, as an employer (long ago) I always appreciated those that went that extra mile. Don't forget to add your email address in your letter as that is the return method they may prefer.

Good luck in your endeavours, keep us posted.
    Last edited by Ivan Cloherty; 2nd February 2021 at 09:20 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    Dave, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, we have to face a reality check here, 85 -90% of the world's passenger ships are currently out of service, 400,000 seamen worldwide are currently unemployed, most from cheap labour countries, most of them will be in the catering/entertainment side of shipping. However God loves a trier and you are on the spot and although Calif is a long way from Florida Cruise capital, there is no harm in starting to bombard the various cruise companies with letters and photo copies of your documents as they may well appreciate someone of experience, as I suspect many of the 400k unemployed will walk away from the sea. I suggest a letter rather than email in the first instance as it gives a better impression; it may take more time, but time well spent, as an employer (long ago) I always appreciated those that went that extra mile. Don't forget to add your email address in your letter as that is the return method they may prefer.

Good luck in your endeavours, keep us posted.
    Hmm. Good advice Ivan, might try that myself if I can locate a few sheets of Basildon Bond, my Watermans fountain pen and my bottle of Stephen's finest Black.
    I reckon I could still trim two twelves back to back.(that's in the tourist saloon not the stokehold).
    R635733

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john gill View Post
    Hmm. Good advice Ivan, might try that myself if I can locate a few sheets of Basildon Bond, my Watermans fountain pen and my bottle of Stephen's finest Black.
    I reckon I could still trim two twelves back to back.(that's in the tourist saloon not the stokehold).
    Well john gill i have just had the thought..we couild get the regular day to day posters on this site ...get an old 5 hatch cargo tramp .....and form a ships crew of old .....marion ships nurse ....now who will join our motley crew ...bags me supernumary and union official before louis the fly gets the job ..now come along me harties and bring yer own donkeys breakfast...it will just be a couple of months round the carribean ...honest no lies promise she only does short trips ...now sign here ...i know it ses two years but we wont ...honest ...im an honest man ..now who will be ist...who will be ist to choose the best bunk.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There have been a lot of programmes on British t.v. about the cruise industry in general and the crews who sail on them in particular of late. One thing that I have noticed when watching them is how few off the catering staff are British, those that are seem to be the senior pursers , senior chefs etc. The cruise liners appear to aim for a particular market eg. cheaper but fun, expensive and luxurious, youth , elderly and everything in between. I have no idea what other experience you have in catering besides being a bedroom steward but as most ex M.N. catering staff have done other jobs onboard and have a working knowledge of upmarket catering have you thought of trying for a butlers job onboard. There
    are not a lot of those jobs going BUT those that are on the luxury level of cruising pay good money. It is one job where maturity and discretion plus a good general knowledge of catering are highly regarded. Throw in a British accent and you are half way there. Others have mentioned quite rightly in their replies that if a crew cost factor is involved no matter what the ship you will not get a look in, as your wage expectations will be to high. At the top end of the market your wages will be considered minimal. Why not give it a try when the industry picks up again after this covid disaster ??.

12. Thanks John Gill thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cappy View Post
    Well john gill i have just had the thought..we couild get the regular day to day posters on this site ...get an old 5 hatch cargo tramp .....and form a ships crew of old .....marion ships nurse ....now who will join our motley crew ...bags me supernumary and union official before louis the fly gets the job ..now come along me harties and bring yer own donkeys breakfast...it will just be a couple of months round the carribean ...honest no lies promise she only does short trips ...now sign here ...i know it ses two years but we wont ...honest ...im an honest man ..now who will be ist...who will be ist to choose the best bunk.....
    hi cappy
    i woulds sign on this afternoon, i would like to be the ships cat
    tom

14. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thomas michael View Post
    hi cappy
    i woulds sign on this afternoon, i would like to be the ships cat
    tom
    ha ha you know where the cream is ...signed on now no subs dont forget your donkeys breakfast ....and no marion does not give an medical before we sail

16. Thanks thomas michael thanked for this post
    Likes thomas michael, John Gill, N/A liked this post
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast