Thread: My Grandfathers Journey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default My Grandfathers Journey

Hi! My Grandfather Iorwerth Williams (Born in 1923) joined the Merchant Navy. We have no idea of his journey. He refused to speak of it, he also never claimed his medals. My father claimed them after my Grandfather had passed in 2007.All we know is when he joined he went to New York, Australia (we think) and was sunk in Cuba. He obviously survived but was hospitalised in a Cuban Hospital for a few months. He digested oil from the wreck. He suffered PTSD and was unable to speak when he came home. His Father-in-law learned him how to speak again but he always spoke with a stutter/stammer. I am unsure if it was during WW2 as in January 1945 he was home to Wales and married my Grandmother with my father being born 1946. This is all the information we know. He would refused to tell his anything and ship names. I'm hoping to find more information on the journey he would of taken. We are unsure when he joined but would send my Grandmother, not his wife then, gifts.
    I'm not sure where to start looking again, I haven't been able to find anything with the little information I have.
    I have managed to fine this document attached but unsure if this is my Grandfather.

Best Wishes To All, Happy New Year

Carys-ann Neads
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Carys Neads; 31st December 2020 at 06:08 PM.

2. Thanks Captain Kong, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Re: My Grandfathers Journey

Initially, hello and do you know the place of birth?

Found thus far:

Births Mar 1923
    Williams Iorwerth Griffiths Festiniog

Births Jun 1923
    Williams Iorwerth Williams Festiniog

Births Dec 1923
    Williams Iorwerth Owen Crickhowell

Keith.

4. Likes Carys Neads liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes the 3rd one is ours. Sept 23. We know about him just not his involvement in the Merchant Navy

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Will try and look for more ASAP.

Keith.

8. Thanks Carys Neads thanked for this post
    Likes Carys Neads liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As i find no records so far i feel that the only place that may hold more on him would be the Southampton Archives in the Original Series.
    Best to write to them and ask the question on his Merchant Navy Service Records.
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

10. Thanks Carys Neads thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There were others like your Grandfather Carry’s. Maybe nothing to do with the war. I kept my married life and seagoing life distinctly apart as far as possible. My wife said when we were married I know you are away for long periods but don’t want you bringing home any bad news . I may have misinterpreted her meaning , but I never discussed shipboard life with her at all , and even to this day she is learning things I never told her when she listens in to my conversations with oher seafarers whilst in our cups. When she says I didn’t know that , I simply say because I never told you. As regards medals my father never claimed any , and he was due to at least the Burma Star among others. He always said the war is over and best to put out of mind. Anyhow to all appearances it is only the winning side that went into the display of such . Very few if any Iron Crosses displayed today. The recipients of such also earned them. Cheers JS
    R575129

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post