Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: MV Warwick Castle late 50s / early 60s Colour Pictures

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: MV Warwick Castle late 50s / early 60s Colour Pictures

All together I did four visits to the UCL training center, and they helped me move to a different stations around the kitchen when I next signed on, most guys liked to stay on just one station, i.e. third assistant veg cook, then second, then the veg (i1st asst) cook, no I had ambitions to be a head chef. Chefs Collegnion (sp.?) and Chef Gill at the school encouraged me to take the Ships cook B.T. certification, which I did and passed. I was told I was the youngest to do so. I was 19. Chefs Collegion and Gill gave me a set of knives.

I did end up my cooking days as the executive chef of a very large hotel that had 750 rooms, four restaurants, and banquet facilities for 3300 and won many awards in culinary contests and I still have a master Chefs designation the USA and master craftsman with guild of chefs of G.B..

And the ground work for this was laid with the Union Castle ships and training center, and I am forever grateful to the many fine 1st asst. cooks of UCL who had the patients to teach me, and the M.N.. Without the encouragement and the timing of serving in the right time when the British M.N. owned the seas, I wouldn't be sitting where I'm sitting in life. And I'm not looking for "likes" or "thanks", I bloody mean it .

Rodney
    Last edited by Rodney Mills; 11th September 2020 at 03:12 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Roddders you did very well, and as you say the UCL training site was good for you.
    It was an asst cook on the Windsor who taught me most of what I know about cooking.
    Both as a winger in the tourist gallop and as officers steward he would teach me during any break time I had.
    The head Chef, Bill Leigh, was quite happy to allow this as his idea was that any one who showed interest should be encouraged to keep it up in the hope that they would then take it up full time eventually.

As assistant pantry man on the Pretoria it also helped me when I ended up on the Paprao as fill in second cook when the real one failed to sail.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Interest to hear of your professional development Rodney, putting in
    100% has helped in your achievements, many fall by the way side
    and could never climb to the greater heights of an industry.

Keith.

4. Thanks Rodney Mills thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3