Thread: Writer knows little: seeks help

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Writer knows little: seeks help

I'm a moderately successful crime writer, writing a novel set aboard an upscale modern luxury yacht.

Bad things need to happen on the yacht, but I'm painfully aware of my lack of knowledge about emergency procedures, equipment, navigation, procedure, weather forecasting and even the kind of language modern seamen and women would use.

I am very happy to be told that my scenarios are ridiculous; I think that knowledge will only make the books and the plots better. Is this the right place to ask if there's someone who doesn't mind helping out with a few questions as I go?

2. Thanks Captain Kong, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Writer knows little: seeks help

Hi Will, I am sure by the time Graham Payne reads this post you will get all the terminology you require he could speak any language and usually did after a bottle of Vera Lynn Terry. p.s. Morning noon or night
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Lead Ted View Post
    Hi Will, I am sure by the time Graham Payne reads this post you will get all the terminology you require he could speak any language and usually did after a bottle of Vera Lynn Terry. p.s. Morning noon or night
    Thanks Terry, much appreciated.
    LOL.
    That don't mean Lots of Love either. HA HA
    Last edited by Graham Payne; 2nd February 2020 at 11:05 AM.
    Graham R774640

5. Thanks Red Lead Ted thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

William
    There was a program/series on channel 5 recently that showed the most luxurious mega yachts. These are 80 metres plus in length and although they maybe privately owned they are subject to nearly all the same regulations as are merchant vessels with regards to navigation and safety equipment, especially so if the owners charter them out to fee paying customers.
    The program concentrated mainly on the cabin staff with occasional glimpses of the captain and chief mate. The accommodation on these yachts are amazing with spas, fully equipped medical facilities and there navigation and engineering outfit is top of the line, electronic charts, radars, GPS navigation, A.I.S. , satellite communication for email and video etc.
    Cabin staff (stewardess) earn around £31000 per year and captains can earn up to £75000 per year BUT all crew are at the beck and call of the owner 24/7/365 days a year and are often expected to be seen but not heard. For some it seems a glamorous lifestyle but it's bleddy hard work. All the navigation and engineering officers will have the same certificates as merchant marine officers.
    Rgds
    J.A.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks so much. Yes, exactly that stuff.

In my plot I would like a major systems failure on one of these boats - arranged by the baddies, of course. I know there has been a lot of stuff around about how hackable private yacht security is. I would like there to be a couple of baddies on board who bring the boat to a standstill and disable comms, by causing a total electrical power outage, disabling the antennae and jamming satellite systems temporarily. It only needs to be for half an hour or so. The Electrical/Technical Officer would have to be one of the baddies, if that makes it any more credible. Meanwhile I would also like another vessel nearby to be spoofing the boat's AIS so that nobody on shore sees any cause for concern.

I'd also like a storm to come up... I know forecasting is pretty accurate these days so I wonder how much leeway I have for rapidly changing weather conditions. I'm putting this story in the Carribbean, but happy to change it to anywhere where the weather is less trustworthy.

Does this all sound too much of a stretch? All advice gratefully received.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would say that no matter how reliable a weather forecast may be, mother nature (or god if you prefer) always throws in a wobbler to let you know who still is the boss. Worst places I've been for unpredictable weather, probably North Pacific and Indian Ocean where the barometer drops like a stone for no apparent reason; , but the world is your oyster as far as weather is concerned and Caribbean should be okay, experienced a few hurricanes in that area and they rarely go where the forecasters predict, sheering off when they feel like it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Caribbean should be OK for a location, with its unpredictable weather and also a lot of Hijacking of yachts and killing goes on there. Due to the Drugs trade. Lots of islands to get lost in.
    Brian

10. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Graham Payne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Perfect. Thanks.

12. Likes Graham Payne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Check out this web site that offers positions on mega yachts. It gives salary and required qualifications.
    Rgds
    J.A.
    https://www.yotspot.com/job-search.h...Filter+Results

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by John Arton View Post
    Check out this web site that offers positions on mega yachts. It gives salary and required qualifications.
    Rgds
    J.A.
    https://www.yotspot.com/job-search.h...Filter+Results
    Excellent. Many thanks.

15. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon liked this post