Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Seeking info - WWII

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Seeking info - WWII

Again, you're welcome.
    I use findmypast (dotcodotuk). It has almost the same info available as Ancestry - perhaps not quite as extensive - but I find its layout nice to work with. The hints are often handy too.
    Do you have plenty of info on your grandad's family tree? I didn't go very far back, because you had asked about Alice.

Back to Harold Moss... I've made attempts to request copies, but the NA want me to be more precise. I really don't know how. I thought the links given here would be plenty for them to help me. It's as though they want me to hire a PI! They whinge about searching "miles of records", but, if it's been catalogued correctly, they won't even have to search a metre! I'm disappointed.
    That's my little grumble for this morning. I'll try again in Feb.

Catherine

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Vicki,
    I found Roger's birth record, but couldn't find Elizabeth, the marriage, nor pinpoint Simon. I expect I could find out plenty about Roger's ancestry, but nothing more recent. Sorry.
    Catherine

3. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Great to a point Victoria, as long as you do not want unwanted relis to find you.

Few years ago a guy I knew here got a letter in the mail, as a young man he had an interlude with a young lady in an overseas port of call.
    Went back there a couple of times and like an idiot gave her his home address in UK.

The letter was from an agency attempting to trace possible relatives, in this case the man was looking for the person he considered may be his father.
    He had the good sense to ignore it and nothing more was heard, but shows how you have to b every careful.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

5. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello again,
    From the birth record (Q3 1945 Dartford, Kent), I've gleaned that Roger's mum's maiden name was Barber. The problem is that there was a Smith-Barber marriage in 1940 and in 1941. Without knowing either of his parents' first names, I couldn't dig any further. It's still very strange that I can't find Elizabeth Steele.
    At least the name "Barber" might help you.
    Catherine

7. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast