Thread: William Thomas Phillips killed 10 02 1942

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default William Thomas Phillips killed 10 02 1942

Dear sir, madam,
    Can you please help me, I am trying to apply for war medals on behalf of my late grand farther who served in the merchant navy on the ship ss lieutenant Robert moray. He was killed on the 10 02 1942 his body was never found. He was 28 and his job title was fireman and trimmer. I have tried to contact the national archives for his discharge papers but the no success. Can you please confirm to me a day advice me on what action to take next.
    Regards Mr Paul Phillips.

2. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: William Thomas Phillips killed 10 02 1942

I found this piece on google,..................

James Yeoman. Grave R1496 S.S. Lieutenant Robert
    Moray.
    Fireman and Trimmer. Died 10/02/1942 Age 25.
    James (Jim to his family) was from Cadoxton and the son of James
    and Teresa Yeoman and the husband of Audrey Yeoman of Birkenhead. He served as a fireman and trimmer on the S.S Lieutenant
    Robert Mory. This was a 3,176 ton steamship.
    An eyewitness account was reported in the Barry and District Newspaper on Feb 12th 1942 and described how the ship was attacked by
    3 enemy aircraft whilst on a coastal convoy. “The planes attacked in
    turn two circling around while the remaining one made his swoop.
    The ship was struck in the stokehold at 7.45.”
    James lost his life in the ensuing explosion. The ship was taken in
    tow and after 36 hours reached port.
    Barry and District News 12th Feb 1942.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Can you confirm date of birth ?

Quick look finds only,

https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...&_dt=S&_hb=tna

thus far.

Keith.

PS: CWGC https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/c...homas-william/

Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 28th June 2019 at 11:04 PM.

5. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kong View Post
    I found this piece on google,..................

James Yeoman. Grave R1496 S.S. Lieutenant Robert
    Moray.
    Fireman and Trimmer. Died 10/02/1942 Age 25.
    James (Jim to his family) was from Cadoxton and the son of James
    and Teresa Yeoman and the husband of Audrey Yeoman of Birkenhead. He served as a fireman and trimmer on the S.S Lieutenant
    Robert Mory. This was a 3,176 ton steamship.
    An eyewitness account was reported in the Barry and District Newspaper on Feb 12th 1942 and described how the ship was attacked by
    3 enemy aircraft whilst on a coastal convoy. “The planes attacked in
    turn two circling around while the remaining one made his swoop.
    The ship was struck in the stokehold at 7.45.”
    James lost his life in the ensuing explosion. The ship was taken in
    tow and after 36 hours reached port.
    Barry and District News 12th Feb 1942.

Two recorded casualties LT. ROBERT MORY 10/02/1942

Thomas W Phillips, James Yeoman.

K.

BMS - Barry sailors and ships lost

7. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Paul,
    This is the information from www.benjidog. com. and shows your g/father's panel on the Merchant Navy Tower Hill Memorial. You should be able to access his medals via his Discharge number. Looking at your address in Cardiff I suggest that you go to;- Registry of Shipping & Seamen
    Maritime & Coastguard Agency
    Anchor Court
    Keen Road
    Cardiff
    CF24 5JW

Tel: +44 (0) 2920 448 800

email: rss@mcga.gov.uk
    They are extremely helpful and I'm sure that they would help you with any questions that you may have.

Lieutenant Robert Moray (Lieutenant Robert Mory)
    The correct name for this ship was Lieutenant Robert Mory. She was a 3,174 GRT steam cargo ship that was damaged on 10 February 1942 by aircraft bombing at a position 5 miles West of Trevose Head but survived the war.

Lieutenant Robert Moray
    Forenames Surname & Honours Age D.O.D Rank Service Country Cemetery/Memorial Grave Ref. Addl. Information
    Thomas William Phillips 28 10/02/1942 Fireman and Trimmer Merchant Navy United Kingdom Tower Hill Memorial Panel 64. Age 28. Husband of M. M. Phillips of Barry Glamorgan.

regards
    Brenda

9. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cargo ship Lieutenant Robert Moray, 3,176grt, (Stephenson Clarke & Ass. Co. Ltd) had been sailing independently in ballast from Southampton for Barry. On the 10th February 1942 about 13 nautical miles West, South-West of Newquay the ship was attacked by a number of enemy aircraft and struck by a bomb in her stokehold leaving behind two dead crewmembers. The ship remained afloat and eventually berthed at Penzance and was eventually towed to Falmouth for repairs. The body of one crewmember was recovered and returned home for burial.

PHILLIPS, Fireman and Trimmer, THOMAS WILLIAM, S.S. Lieutenant Robert Moray (Belfast). Merchant Navy. 10th February 1942. Age 28. Husband of M. M. Phillips, of Barry, Glamorgan. Commemorated Tower Hill Memorial. Panel 64.

YEOMAN, Fireman and Trimmer, JAMES, S.S. Lieut. Robert Moray (Belfast). Merchant Navy. 10th February 1942. Age 25. Son of James and Teresa Yeoman; husband of Audrey Iris Amelia Yeoman, of Birkenhead. Buried Barry (Merthyr Dyfan) Burial Ground. Sec. R. Grave 1496.

It doesn't look like his medal card has survived, so you would require a copy of his CRS-10 service file from the 1941 to 1972 Fifth Register of Merchant Seaman's Service. These records are held at The National Archives at Kew in classification BT 382. They are held in block by surname and each file holds the records of up to sixty individuals and would require a visit to Kew unless you want to pay their outrageous fees. His service file should be held in file “BT 382/1421” covering the surnames ”Phillips Terence to Philpot W J” These file details include the following information: Name of seaman, Date and place of birth, Discharge (Seaman’s) book number, Rank, Details of the ships on which he served. These include: Name of ship and official number, date of engagement. Date of discharge whether ship was a foreign going of home trade vessel, and records in some cases National Insurance contributions. Details shown in these records are similar to those contained in an individual seaman's discharge book.

Once you have all this information you would then need to obtain the ship Movement Cards for each individual ship to tie up with the dates he was on board each ship to ascertain which Campaign Stars he was entitled to. These are also held at Kew in BT389 under each ships Official No. as registered with Lloyd’s, and copies are available to purchase for £3.50 for each ship he served on. An application would then need to be sent to the MCA at Cardiff, the old RGSS who were responsible for issuing Merchant Seamen their entitlement.

You could also phone Cardiff and ask to speak to the Medal Office, to see if they still have anything on file for your relative. If not they will just advise what I have explained above

Medal Officer
    Maritime and Coastguard Agency
    MCA Cardiff
    Anchor Court
    Keen Road
    Cardiff
    CF24 5JW
    Phone:029 2044 8800
    "Across the seas where the great waves grow, there are no fields for the poppies to grow, but its a place where Seamen sleep, died for their country, for you and for peace" (Billy McGee 2011)

11. Thanks John F Collier, N/A, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello again Paul,
    I've just remembered the name of the very helpful man in Cardiff - Mr. Staples.
    Good luck
    Brenda

13. Likes N/A, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post