Thread: Ss horn shell

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Ss horn shell

Can anyone help regarding the loss of the SS Horn Shell (London) on 26th July 1941? Ideally I would like to know the circumstances of her loss; where, how etc. Many thanks Rod Weale

2. Thanks Doc Vernon, ShaunKay thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Ss horn shell

Here's a start: https://www.wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?146980 and https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...ils/r/D8652661

There might be survivor's reports in the UK National Archives.

Dave W

4. Likes Doc Vernon, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Does anyone know where you can get a full list of the crew on Hornshell. My late father-in-law was the 2nd Radio Officer who survived in lifeboat #4. He was picked up after 19 days. cheers

6. Thanks cappy, N/A, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Ss Horn Shell

From my unpublished book "The Sea is Their Grave"

Tanker Horn Shell, 8,272grt (Anglo-Saxon Petroleum Co. Ltd) sailed independently in ballast from Gibraltar on the 22nd July 1941 bound for Curacao on government service. Four days later 256 nautical miles West of Madeira the tanker was intercepted by the Italian submarine Barbarigo. Struck by one torpedo in the engine room, which immediately began to flood, the ship began to settle by the stern. The order to abandon ship was given with the orders to stand by as the Master did not believe the ship would sink. Just over fifteen minutes later the ship was struck amidships by a second torpedo. With most of the crew away in the boats, two distress messages were sent as a third torpedo stuck number two hold followed a few seconds later with a fourth detonating in the engine room and the ship rolled over and eventually sank in position 33’ 22N 22’ 18W. Four boats set course set course for Madeira, but soon became separated in bad weather, which lasted for five days. The Second Officers boat with twelve survivors was found after eleven days by the Portuguese Merchant ship Africa Occidental, but the ships 1st Radio Officer (WALKER. T.A.) died the following day and was buried at sea, before the remaining survivors were landed at the Cape Verde Islands. Fifteen survivors in the Master’s boat were found by the Brazilian Merchant ship Cuyaba after twelve and a half days adrift and landed at Pernambuco and fourteen survivors in the Third Officers were found by a British Destroyer after nineteen days adrift and landed at Freetown. The boat in charge of by the ships Chief Officer with sixteen survivors on-board was never heard from again.

I have a copy of the original Survivors Report from the Horn Shell from Kew held in file ADM199/2137. The file size is to big to upload here, but if you email me at billy1963@ntlworld.com I will send you a copy.

The-Sea-is-Their-Grave-Cove.jpg
    Last edited by DeepSea; 5th December 2021 at 11:44 AM.
    "Across the seas where the great waves grow, there are no fields for the poppies to grow, but its a place where Seamen sleep, died for their country, for you and for peace" (Billy McGee 2011)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Ss Horn Shell

Brilliant, thanks for your help

9. Likes N/A, Des Taff Jenkins, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunKay View Post
    Does anyone know where you can get a full list of the crew on Hornshell. My late father-in-law was the 2nd Radio Officer who survived in lifeboat #4. He was picked up after 19 days. cheers
    Her 1941 Log Book & Crew Agreements are held at Kew in file BT 381/1588 under the ships Official No. 162671
    Last edited by DeepSea; 21st December 2021 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Adding link
    "Across the seas where the great waves grow, there are no fields for the poppies to grow, but its a place where Seamen sleep, died for their country, for you and for peace" (Billy McGee 2011)

11. Thanks happy daze john in oz, N/A, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea, Des Taff Jenkins, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Terrific thanks. I am just waiting on the wonderful people at Kew to send me the details.

13. Likes Des Taff Jenkins, N/A, Doc Vernon liked this post