Thread: Joseph Devaney, dob 27.02.1922 (R167448). Was he on the Arctic convoys?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Joseph Devaney, dob 27.02.1922 (R167448). Was he on the Arctic convoys?

Dear Friends,

My father, Joseph Devaney, served in the Merchant Navy during WW2. He told me many stories when I was a young boy about where he visited as a seaman. In particular, he spoke about visits to Russia and the extreme weather conditions they underwent. His visits included Archangel, which sticks in my mind because of its religious name. He died in 1968 aged 46, when I was 14. It was the 50th anniversary of his death last July.

I am trying to find out if he served on the Artic Convoys and if he qualifies, posthumously, for the Arctic Star. I have his discharge book(No. R167448) but it does not mention where he went and it also contains some time gaps. I also have his discharge papers from the National Archive but these do not give any details of journeys.

I would be most grateful if anyone could suggest how I might find out if he was on the convoys and whether he would have been entitled to the Arctic Star.

Many thanks.

Peter Devaney

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Joseph Devaney, dob 27.02.1922 (R167448). Was he on the Arctic convoys?

Hello Peter
    As we have just recently had a similar Thread of this nature,i can tell you that it is very difficult to find out that info,as all the Convoys were kept as best a secret as could be with all information of any kind not recorded by the Captains of any Ship involved.
    How ever there is a possibility that you may be able to find out something through the Southampton Archives??
    Other than that even I think his CRS10 Documentation would not have anymore info,only his Record as far as when he joined the Convoys.
    Hope that you will be able to get more info
    Cheers

There is only one J Davaney listed on Convoy (As Deceased) but not your Man

DEVANEY, Carpenter, JOHN, S.S. Traveller (Liverpool), Merchant Navy. 26th January 1942. Age 47. Son of Patrick and Elizabeth Devaney. Panel 109.(Tower Hill).
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 10th January 2019 at 08:35 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

3. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Re: Joseph Devaney, dob 27.02.1922 (R167448). Was he on the Arctic convoys?

Possibly worth asking for more info and ask for assistance:

If you are applying on behalf of a deceased veteran, you will need to complete a Certificate of Kinship Form.

Send completed applications to:The Arctic Star, MoD Medal Office, Imjin Barracks, Innsworth, Gloucester, GL3 1HW.
    Or, e-mail to: SPVA-ASBCCApplications@mod.uk

FAQs - Museum Home

5. Thanks Peter Devaney thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Many thanks for your advice. I will check Southampton and report back any progress.

7. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post