Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: John Manly

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: John Manly

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    Hi Trevor, my father (also Ivan) from his Discharge book was Bosun on 'Araluen' from 28th Aug 1969 until 5th November 1971, he passed away in 1976 aged 65 the same year is twin grand daughters were born

Must have been a good ship for overtime, as have his last payslip from that ship, last trip was 5months 5 days and he 645 hours of overtime!

Bosun's wages at commencement of trip 5/71 were £91.95 per month (odd figure!) increased 7/71 to £104.70 per month

Overtime was increased from 47.5 pence per hour to 54.5 pence per hour
    Ivan, thanks for responding. Certainly a lot of O/T there as i don't think i ever even got half those hours.
    I would have wasted it anyway!!!!!!!

2. Thanks Ivan Cloherty, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#10 Ivan if remember right your old man in 71 would of had all sorts of extras after the strike of 66. Broken meal hours , loss of sleep if didn’t get 8 consecutive hours in every 24. A mininum of 2 hours overtime for any call out even if only for 10 minutes . It was a mates nightmare filling out the sheets to correspond with the maritime year book Today everything or was consolidated in a wage for a 12 hour day. No such thing that I saw in latter years as loss of sleep which made up a lot of the overtime. Personally I think seamen were better off under the old system prior to the strike. I think most mates came to some sort of agreement to give a set number of hours a day regardless unbeknown to the company , to cut back on the ridiculous paperwork involved . As said today as far as I know no paid overtime exists. Cheers JWS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 18th May 2018 at 11:48 AM.

4. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Likes Ivan Cloherty, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Bodiam View Post
    I am still searching for my old friend,and have even tried Salvation Army who can't help as we are not related and they will only look for family.g.--

The member, Bob Hollis has not been active for some time.
    Any further help will be deeply appreciated. Trevor R811047
    Trevor ,orry to be he bearer of bad news but I am reliably informed that Bob Hollis passed away 24th March 2016
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 19th May 2018 at 06:46 PM.
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

6. Thanks cappy, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry to hear that, but thank you anyway.

8. Thanks robpage, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=j.sabourn;306975 I think most mates came to some sort of agreement to give a set number of hours a day regardless unbeknown to the company , to cut back on the ridiculous paperwork involved. Cheers JWS[/QUOTE]

I used to do that when I was mate in the 60's, I was also a great believer in 'job and finish' if they played fair by me, I played fair by them, and if they didn't either their crew mates took care of it their way, or I did my way, nobody likes being hit in the pocket!

10. Likes robpage, j.sabourn, cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#15.. yes the overtime sheets couldn’t really be used as an alibi to where you were and what you were doing at 2000 hours as probably at that time you were cleaned up and having a beer or two. So you had the time and motive to really have been raiding the beer store. I spent more time trying to get hours to match so as to hide the loss of sleep , and the mininum 2 hours call out for dropping the anchor all it needed was someone to query in the office how someone could get 6 hours a day and certain maintainance still not done. Overtime was a pain in the A### for those filling in the sheets, very nice for those to receive though , but to me were not a truthful account of hours worked outside of the 8 a day at the time. Loss of sleep was considered a safety issue, why today doesn’t it exist, it may do in writing , but how honest is that . JWS. Ps if for example you were working 6 on and 6 off as today is a bare mininum that would at least be 4 hours overtime and 4 hours loss of sleep daily. 8 hours a day before any overtime worked. Forget the wages just pay the overtime. And amidst among all these hours for calculation you got the broken meal hour probably another hour for10 minutes work. To me it is a fallacy about overtime, today they have. Cut back on crews cut out the overtime increased the working day, the only winners are the shipowners, every crew of whatever nationality is a cheap one. Apart from the seaman’s strike of 66 being an excuse to bring in all this new legislation it was also the demise of shipping as we knew it. A let down by unions and government alike. JWS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 19th May 2018 at 12:17 AM.

12. Thanks Ivan Cloherty, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes robpage liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Bodiam View Post
    Searching for John Manly or Manley who came from Hemel Hempstead, Herts. and jumped ship off the Port Montreal in Australia in late 1969 or early 1970. He was on deck and was EDH or AB at that time.
    He was staying with a young lady who called herself “Hendrix”and hailed from Katoomba in the Blue mountains.
    We were very good friends and had great times together along with the rest of the crew that made the Port Montreal one of the friendliest and craziest bunch of seamen i’ve ever experienced.
    He would be roughly 68-69 years of age
    Really hope someone can help with some info.
    Hi Trevor, I sailed with John mid - 1980's for 8-9 trips between UK, Ascension, Falklands, and back home, I sure he was also on the Scottish Eagle during the Falklands War.

The last time I saw him was at my wedding in 1989 and I'm pretty sure he told me he had got a job as a postman, would of suited John as we was always walking around deck bird watching.

He was still living in Hemel Hempstead then and I've done a quick search and the only details I can find are for a John Manly who passed away and was 90 so I don't think that was him and a;
    John C Manley
    64 Oldhouse Road
    Hemel Hempstead
    Hertfordshire
    HP2 4EH

If you do manage to track him down please pass on my best and if he want's to make contact my name is Roy Higgs and my user name on this forum is kohsamui

Thanks

kohsamui

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Roy, thank you so much for that reply. I found the same info when i was searching and know he wasn't that old. I'm 71 now and he was either 1 year older or younger, i can't remember which. He was very nice easygoing guy and we went ashore together when we could and even shared women when he asked me like a gentleman if i would mind if he took over the girl i was with in Oz. Then he jumped for her and that was the last i saw of him. That was in 1969.

Quote Originally Posted by kohsamui View Post
    Hi Trevor, I sailed with John mid - 1980's for 8-9 trips between UK, Ascension, Falklands, and back home, I sure he was also on the Scottish Eagle during the Falklands War.

The last time I saw him was at my wedding in 1989 and I'm pretty sure he told me he had got a job as a postman, would of suited John as we was always walking around deck bird watching.

He was still living in Hemel Hempstead then and I've done a quick search and the only details I can find are for a John Manly who passed away and was 90 so I don't think that was him and a;
    John C Manley
    64 Oldhouse Road
    Hemel Hempstead
    Hertfordshire
    HP2 4EH

If you do manage to track him down please pass on my best and if he want's to make contact my name is Roy Higgs and my user name on this forum is kohsamui

Thanks

kohsamui

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2