Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Any help or information on my late cousin John Moore, 2nd Engineer Merchant Navy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Any help or information on my late cousin John Moore, 2nd Engineer Merchant Navy

John Moore was born in the Isle of Lewis, died February 16, 1942, at the age of 39. so of Joseph and Annabella Moore nee MacIver, born 7 October 1902. and was married to Mrs. Hilda W.Moore of Ely, Cardiff. I would like to know when he signed up for the Merchant Navy and the ships he was on, if that is possible. Many thanks for the help He was on the SS Tia Juana of London, and the U-Boat U-502 was the one that torpedoed them February 16, 1942.
    Last edited by alison macrae; 30th January 2018 at 01:11 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Any help or information on my late cousin John Moore, 2nd Engineer Merchant Navy

Thanks for your post Alison
    some of our experts will find information for you soon
    keep looking in.
    cheers
    Brian

World War II: The tanker, Tia Juana was torpedoed and sunk in the Gulf of Venezuela 25 nautical miles (46 km) off Point Macolla by U-502 ( Kriegsmarine) with the loss of 17 of her 26 crew.[74]

SUBMARINE 502 3rd patrol[edit]

U-502's next patrol began on 19 January 1942. She sailed for the Caribbean waters north of Venezuela to attack the vital oil trade.[8]

On the morning of 16 February off the Gulf of Venezuela she torpedoed and sank three tankers in as many hours; the British 2,395-ton Tia Juana,[9] the Venezuelan 2,650-ton Monagas,[10] and then the British 2,391-ton San Nicolas.[11]
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 30th January 2018 at 01:52 PM.

3. Thanks Doc Vernon, Peter F Chard thanked for this post
    Likes Keith Tindell, N/A, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Re: Any help or information on my late cousin John Moore, 2nd Engineer Merchant Navy

He is also remembered in Wales.

This MN Memorial at Cardiff Bay commemorates the 1,700 men from Cardiff, Barry and Penarth
    who died while serving with the Merchant Navy in the First and Second World Wars.

MOORE, John. Second Engineer, SS Tia Juana (London). Died 16/2/42 age 39. Husband of H. Moore of Cardiff. Ship sunk SW of Punta Macolla, Venezuela. Tower Hill Memorial.

History Points - Merchant Navy memorial, Cardiff

Scan MN 16C.jpg

More details about each of the individuals is available in Byron Jones’ books of remembrance. There are copies in Cardiff libraries, Barry library and several Welsh archives. The titles are: Book of Remembrance Seafarers from Wales of the Mercantile Marine & Fishing Fleets who lost their lives during World War One 1914-1918; and Book of Remembrance Seafarers from Wales of the Merchant Navy & Fishing Fleets who lost their lives during World War Two 1939-1945.

Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 30th January 2018 at 01:16 PM.

5. Likes Keith Tindell liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That is an interesting book that I would love to read, have to find out how to get a hold of that here in Canada. My late cousin married a Welsh lady, He was from the Isle of Lewis in Scotland. I do not know if he would be in that book, but it still would be an interesting read I am thinking. Thank you

7. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

born in the Isle of Lewis

Do you know where in the Isle Of Lewis he was Born please! eg"
    Stornoway

Thanks

Died at Sea in 1942

Last edited by Doc Vernon; 30th January 2018 at 08:02 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

9. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Alison, these books are not as such published but, like Rolls of Honour a few copies produced in memory and tribute.

I do know the person that compiled the Cardiff information personally and can ask for more if require.

Online the information on many can be seen at the links below:

LINK 1: History Points - Merchant Navy memorial, Cardiff

Other Welsh places - LINK 2: History Points - Home

Regards Keith.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    born in the Isle of Lewis

Do you know where in the Isle Of Lewis he was Born please! eg"
    Stornoway

Thanks

Died at Sea in 1942

Doc.

John Moore. Merchant Navy. British. Born, 7 Oct 1902, Stornoway, Isle of Lewis. Died, 16 Feb 1942, (39) ... Personal information. Son of Joseph and Annabella Moore, of Stornoway, Isle of Lewis;

I presume Stornoway was definitely the birth place ? See link below:

Keith.

LINK: https://uboat.net/allies/merchants/c...son/52048.html

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Keith yes I just found that Death Notice and saw that he was in fact Born Stornoway
    Funny I cant find his Birth Cert as well>>
    Cheers

And no trace of his MN Docs so far !???
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Started to look up birth at freebmd; https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Think it would require something likeScotlandsPeople ? https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

Keith.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    Thanks Keith yes I just found that Death Notice and saw that he was in fact Born Stornoway
    Funny I cant find his Birth Cert as well>>
    Cheers

And no trace of his MN Docs so far !???

Still early days, fingers crossed.

AS records go, did a search with all info we have found only two possibles thus far.

No guarantees, still looking.

United Kingdom, Merchant Navy Seamen Records, 1835-1941

Arthur John Moore 1901

William John Moore 1902

Keith.

16. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast