Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Trying to get information on a cousin John Maciver, born 1921, died on S.S.Baron Erskine

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Trying to get information on a cousin John Maciver, born 1921, died on S.S.Baron Erskine

Thanks I will refer to the person for sure
    Vernon MacDonald.

2. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Trying to get information on a cousin John Maciver, born 1921, died on S.S.Baron Erskine

Quote Originally Posted by alison macrae View Post
    Vernon MacDonald.
    ###alison i have not followed this post but billy mcgee who is on our site wrote a book giving the details of all young boys lost at sea in WWii..it is heart rending to read .i gave my copy to a person to read some time ago...but sadly he cannot now find it... and sadly it is not on sale in many places but am sure billy may still have copies .... it is a result of much hard work and the price is ridiculously cheap for such ..regards cappy

4. Thanks Doc Vernon, N/A thanked for this post
    Likes Dennis McGuckin, N/A, Evan Lewis liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Marian Gray View Post
    Don't recall ever having used that particular one Doc, the price is attractive, though could be a subsidiary of a more recognized one!! Will delve further when I return this evening.
    I have had another look at it Marian and it does look quite good,however there is one nig Downfall ,it does not seem to have any Merchant Navy Records?? Has all other Forces like RN,RAF,Army etc!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

6. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by alison macrae View Post
    Vernon MacDonald.
    Just first name will do Alison Cheers Doc

R697530

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cappy View Post
    ###alison i have not followed this post but billy mcgee who is on our site wrote a book giving the details of all young boys lost at sea in WWii..it is heart rending to read .i gave my copy to a person to read some time ago...but sadly he cannot now find it... and sadly it is not on sale in many places but am sure billy may still have copies .... it is a result of much hard work and the price is ridiculously cheap for such ..regards cappy

They Shall Not Grow Old

by Billy McGee (Author)

Before and during WWII it was legal to join the British Merchant Navy at just 14 years old. Many boys were already at sea when war was declared and decided to continue to play their part in keeping supply routes to Britain open. Many volunteered during the war, some just looking for adventure and the boyhood dreams of visiting foreign shores. Others came from boy's homes and local orphanages, while some did run away to sea. They came from the length and breadth of the country and in many cases the British Commonwealth. They may have gone to sea as boys, but they were men in the eyes of those who know. Sadly, many never came home. This is their tribute and the major role they played in a war at sea, which the likes of will never be seen again.

If required and Billy has not looked in, I will double check when I return home, no promises but, I should have a spare copy, lest given away already.

Keith.

9. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Marian Gra Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    I have had another look at it Marian and it does look quite good,however there is one nig Downfall ,it does not seem to have any Merchant Navy Records?? Has all other Forces like RN,RAF,Army etc!
    Cheers
    Hey Doc...what do you want for £35.00 Sounds a snip at the price

11. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I see 45 GBP Marian ,they could at least have had Merchant Navy as well.
    Anyway I have not bought any Credits will pass on that one!
    I have just Bought some Credits on another site HebridesPeople 10 GBP but after doing a Search cannot find anything on Moore very strange as the latest news on that site says new Records added for Stornoway??
    I have now sent them an Email about it see hat reply I get!
    Cheers

I want Blood for my Money ! LOL

R697530

13. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My cousins who live on the Isle of Lewis where John was born, was not aware I think that he was related till I started doing research on him, yes he was a relation, so nobody had any information on him, as he was brought up in Glasgow, cannot find any family left in Glasgow, I think he was an only child. Thank you Vernon for information and hopefully some info back from the site HebridesPeople. On my other cousin John Moore, he was born on the Isle of Lewis as well. Thaks for all the help on this.

15. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

I have come across the below site, I am not aware if you may have had input or not.

Adding here for info and hope to look at it further later today.

I have not signed up or in yet.

The basic detail on your relative is limited, could do with updating ?

I was interested to see many Maciver's and could prove interesting.

Sharing now, I will look further ASAP.

Keith.

John Maciver (1921 - 1942) - Biography and Family Tree
    https://www.ancientfaces.com › Maciver Family History › John Maciver Bios
    Average Age. John Maciver lived 48 years shorter than the average Maciver family member when he died at the age of 21. ... Regiment: Merchant Navy Unit/ship/squadron: S.s. Baron Erskine (ardrossan) ... 1921 - In the year that John Maciver was born, on March 4, Warren G. Harding became President. Previously a U.S. ...

https://www.ancientfaces.com/person/...iver/164450924

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Alison
    This area, Loch a' Ghainmhich on the Isle of Lewis is first mentioned on the Lewis Rentals in 1807 leased to the heirs of Major Alexander Maciver Bailie of Stornoway and only had seasonal Shepherds on it, prior to 1820 the land was divided into small holdings or crofts and by 1834 it had a population of 26, the Tenant on No1 was Kenneth Maciver and his wife Annabella Mackenzie, in 1881 and on the death of the widow Maciver No1 was split between the two sons Evander 1837-1910 No1A and John 1842, no death date, No1B. I presume your John is descended from Evander, can you give a little more information on what you know of your own family? please.
    I hope this bit of history will help you with your search.
    regards Donald.
    Last edited by donald w gillies; 2nd February 2018 at 06:54 PM.

18. Thanks N/A, Doc Vernon, alison macrae thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Bill Cameron, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast