Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Request for help - Richard Eric Thorn

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Request for help - Richard Eric Thorn

Hello again,
    Well after some illness delaying my search I have found some more (but limited detail) on my granddad, we have the crew list from the MV Gloucester in New York (part of Convoy HX228) having left from Avonmouth on the 16th Feb 1944.
    I'm unable to attach the image (but I will try again) - if it helps at all he is 65 on the list and Roll 6808???
    As always I appreciate any assistance, having read lots of other posts it;'s incredibly interesting to hear other stories
    Many thanks, Helen

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Request for help - Richard Eric Thorn

It would seem from what I can gather he was Royal Navy DEMS gunner (Defence Equipped Merchant Ship) His service record will still be held by the MOD and can be applied for at the Gov.UK link below. Only problem with RN DEMS records is they do not list the Merchant ships he served on and will just list the accountancy base he was attached to such HMS President III, Glendower etc. The reason why DEMS signed ships Crew Agreements was for legal reasons if a ship entered a neutral port. Merchant Seamen were civilians and allowed to enter neutral countries. Any military personnel could lead to the ship to be interned, so they signed on as crew.

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military...-elses-records
    "Across the seas where the great waves grow, there are no fields for the poppies to grow, but its a place where Seamen sleep, died for their country, for you and for peace" (Billy McGee 2011)

3. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins, j.sabourn thanked for this post
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6