Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help Please! Interview for Clyde Marine Training

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cool Help Please! Interview for Clyde Marine Training

Seasons Greetings all, I hope this finds you in good health.

As the title states I have an interview with CMT on the 28th of December. I do not have a seafaring background yet I consider myself a quick learner and always like to become erudite in whatever it is I turn my hand to. With that in mind I was wondering if anybody could point out any good resources (be they online, at a local library or whatever) to get a bit more savvy with basic seafaring terminology, techniques and information on specific ships that a career in the MN may lead me to work upon.

I really want to be accepted and I am very willing to work hard academically and physically to make this a reality.

Any help/advice/links will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance and God bless.

Ethan Read

2. Thanks Captain Kong, N/A thanked for this post
    Likes Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Help Please! Interview for Clyde Marine Training

My apologies, I should of included more information I realise in hindsight.

I am 24, I have 10 GCSE's A*-C and I am looking to go into a deckhand cadetship as engineering is not necessarily my strong point right now and I believe a degree is required for the electrical course. In all honesty I do not know exactly what being a deckhand will entail and that is a large reason for wanting to find some resources to research the role WAY more thoroughly.

Thanks Lewis
    ER

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ethan
    Clyde Marine will not expect you to be very knowledgeable about seafaring terms., it is there responsibility to place you in a training college that will give you the necessary knowledge for you to be able t9 safely join your first vessel. They will expect you to turn up for your interview slightly before the appointed time, smartly dressed with dollar and tie, dress trousers and blazer along with all your educational certificates and any references from any previous employment, even if they may only be from part time holiday jobs. They will be looking for people who are enthusiastic about a career at sea, who are able to look after themselves, willing to learn from and respect their superior's. Although going to sea is completely different from when most of us there started, it is still one of the best career's for a young person these days' . A word of warning though, you have to be prepared to be the only British person on board but that can be turned to your advantage as you will be able to learn the customs and language of your fellow ship mates from various foreign nationals. You will see many countries around the world but do not expect to be able to sample the exotic (or erotic) joys of these port's that many of us enjoyed in years past. For some insight go through the posts in the"swinging the lamp " and "Seafaring stories" on this site. A good place to get an insight into today's Merchant Navy is to look at the"Working at sea " section on the Marine and Coastguard web site.
    Finally good luck and if you do get a job with Clyde Marine in whatever capacity (deck, engine or catering), please take time to log into this site and update us all on your progress and what working at sea is like these days.
    Rgds

J.A.

5. Thanks Ethan Read, Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you very much for your reply John, much of what you have said has set me at ease and the part about enjoying the more exotic ports had me laughing out loud. If I do get a career in the MN (which I very much hope I do) I will be sure to log onto this site and post as regularly as my downtime allows as the community here seems very welcoming and experienced, and after a spot of light reading there are evidently some characters on here.

I will certainly look into the forums and sites that you suggested and already have my outfit ready for my interview. They did mention to me that they may ask me questions about ships, but I am sure I can find answers to that on my own.

Thanks again!
    ER

7. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sounds great! Thanks for the kind words Bengy

ER

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't know if you have the sort of thing that you tube has to offer Ethan, but here is one example which might give you some idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMnWK6apliQ
    Although we are a lot of seamen mainly from a bygone era, wish you the best of luck, and some envy as well, kt

10. Thanks Ethan Read, N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Contact FLEETWOOD NAUTICAL COLLEGE, they would give you a lot of good advice, it is an excellent college, I attended there several times years ago but I also talk to several Cadets when I go to Fleetwood and they are all very happy with it, You usually have to get a sponsorship from a Shipping Company but they will advise you.
    Good luck
    Brian
    google
    Maritime | fleetwoodnautical.blackpool.ac.uk
    https://fleetwoodnautical.blackpool.ac.uk/nautical
    Outstanding facilities, expert tutors and an exceptional graduate to employment rate have secured the Fleetwood Nautical Campus an international reputation for excellence. This is underpinned by a 125-year history of providing high quality maritime training to industry and the superior calibre of our students: we have won ...
    ‎Contact Us · ‎Fleetwood Nautical Campus · ‎Officer of The Watch (Unlimited) · ‎Events
    Contact Us | fleetwoodnautical.blackpool.ac.uk
    https://fleetwoodnautical.blackpool....utical/contact
    Fleetwood Nautical Campus. ... Office opening times are 8.30am-5pm, Monday to Friday. ... E maritime@blackpool.ac.uk.
    frontpage | fleetwoodnautical.blackpool.ac.uk
    https://fleetwoodnautical.blackpool.ac.uk/
    Fleetwood Nautical Campus – Celebrating 125 Years in 2017. Maritime Operations. Harbouring great careers. Maritime Operations. One of the UK's top nautical establishments with links to major shipping companies and attracting students from around the world ... Explore the College ...
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 22nd December 2017 at 05:35 PM.

12. Thanks Ethan Read thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Bill Cameron liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Maritime | fleetwoodnautical.blackpool.ac.uk
    https://fleetwoodnautical.blackpool.ac.uk/nautical
    Outstanding facilities, expert tutors and an exceptional graduate to employment rate have secured the Fleetwood Nautical Campus an international reputation for excellence. This is underpinned by a 125-year history of providing high quality maritime training to industry and the superior calibre of our students: we have won ...
    ‎Contact Us · ‎Fleetwood Nautical Campus · ‎Officer of The Watch (Unlimited) · ‎Events
    Contact Us | fleetwoodnautical.blackpool.ac.uk
    https://fleetwoodnautical.blackpool....utical/contact
    Fleetwood Nautical Campus. ... Office opening times are 8.30am-5pm, Monday to Friday. ... E maritime@blackpool.ac.uk.
    frontpage | fleetwoodnautical.blackpool.ac.uk
    https://fleetwoodnautical.blackpool.ac.uk/
    Fleetwood Nautical Campus – Celebrating 125 Years in 2017. Maritime Operations. Harbouring great careers. Maritime Operations. One of the UK's top nautical establishments with links to major shipping companies and attracting students from around the world ... Explore the College ...

14. Thanks Ethan Read, N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you Keith, the video has lots of good feedback I will watch it after my tea.

Who better to get my questions answered by than men with lots of experience in the sector, I appreciate all of the information and kind words.

Regards,
    ER

- - - Updated - - -

Fleetwood NC would be my preferable college as I live in Halifax currently and it is the closest to Family. I will definitely take your advice and give them a call tomorrow once I have prepared some useful questions,

Thanks CK!
    ER

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Accommodation | fleetwoodnautical.blackpool.ac.uk
    https://fleetwoodnautical.blackpool.ac.uk/accommodation
    Our three-year sponsored merchant navy cadet scheme is divided into five phases, with phases 1, 3 and 5 running at the Fleetwood Nautical Campus (FNC). For phases 2 and 4 you will be based at sea. During the first phase you will live at our on-site hall of residence. This amazing facility has been specifically designed so .

OPEN DAY......
    Events | fleetwoodnautical.blackpool.ac.uk
    https://fleetwoodnautical.blackpool....autical/events
    Fleetwood Nautical Campus Open Day. Saturday 20 January 2018 10:30am - 2:30pm Fleetwood Nautical Campus. B&FC. |Celebrating 125 years. Back to top. Prospectuses and guides. Choose a guide to start... School Leavers Guide Further Education Guide; Undergraduate Prospectus; HE Degree Courses Higher

CLYDE Marine will be there to recruit

17. Likes N/A, Bill Cameron liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast