Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New to this Group

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default New to this Group

Hi Everyone
    Am new to this group and to be honest I'm not sure if I'm in the right place!
    I'm looking for my Grandfather Robert Fred Osborne born 1908 in Pett Level E Sussex who I was always told was in the Navy in WW2. Whether that was Royal or Merchant I do not know, I suspect Merchant, but I was further told he went away for 5 years in the war and was part of the North Sea Convoys. I was also told he had service medals and was something to do with picking people up from Dunkirk but again all my information is just comments I have no actual documentation.
    Can anyone out there help me at all? I adored my Grandfather but like so many of us never asked the questions when I was younger (although he was incredibly private - I doubt he would have given much away anyhow lol).
    Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Susan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: New to this Group

Hi Susan, Wellcome to this good site. We have some good guys and gals here for research, if you can supply as much info as you have, full name , date of birth, and death if applicable. If you have heard any names of ships mentioned etc, anything at all will help, and am sure they will contacting you on site soon, regards kt

3. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Susan
    Welcome to the site and thanks for asking the question.
    I have looked at the NA but as of now cannot see any name and DOB that matches your input for the Merchant Navy,however I could be incorrect on this!
    Hugh will soon see this and he is the one that would know if your Grandfather was in the Royal Navy,so just sit tight for now
    Hope you soon will get some response with info
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

5. Likes Hugh, John Albert Evans liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Susan and welcome,

As Vernon says there is nothing online on him but that does not mean he has no records - some are not online.
    My feeling is that he was Royal Navy but there is no real way of telling at the moment.

My advice would be to check both RN and MN records of service and do them separately.
    So I would advise you contact the Ministry of Defence first and try and find out if he has a Royal Navy service record - give as much detail as you can when you fill out the application form.
    You may have to be patient though. https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military...-elses-records.

If you wanted to check MN records which are held at The National Archives Kew we could give you the reference file where any service record would be held.

Regards
    Hugh
    "If Blood was the price
    We had to pay for our freedom
    Then the Merchant Ship Sailors
    Paid it in full”

www.sscityofcairo.co.uk

7. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Info,
    Birth. Robert Fred Osbourne. Qrt. Jan-Feb-Mar. 1908. District. Hastings. Vol.2b. Page.68.

Death.Robert Frederick Osbourne. Born. 3rd Jan. 1908. Died. June 1986 age at death 78 years. District. Hastings & Rotherive. Vol.18. Page.941.

9. Thanks Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins, Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes Hugh liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Susan. I am Marian Wright, was Cullen. Our grandparents were Robert and Ellen Osborne, lived Bridge House, Chick Hill, Pett Level, then Dovedale, Chick Hill. You have the right info on Grandad. Sadly he passed away in 1986 and Nanny Osborne in 1997. My mum passed away this year, aged 87, your dad passed away in Lowestoff, I think about 10 or 11 years ago. His wife, has recently returned to Sussex. Your half brother Marcus lives in Hastings, as do me and my brother Paul. My sister Yvette died 18 years ago. I remember you as a baby at Pett Level, and I think you moved to Strood when I lived in Kent, nan asked my to drop off a present for you when you were probably 6/7. I believe you had a brother. My sister was bridesmaid to your mum, Mary and my Uncle Barry. I have lots of nans pictures of us and a few of you. We also had a great uncle Lou Parsons, grandads half brother, he has also sadly recently passed, aged 96. He, like grandad was very involved in Pett Level Lifeboat I will get all grandads service paperwork out and let you know about his service history. As soon as we can, my mums ashes and I believe Uncle Lou, will be going out to sea at Pett Level to join grandadi, we had grandads ashes scattered in the sea by the lifeboat.the lifeboat will be ding that for us.

Marian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

welcome to the site Susan
    Ron the batcave

12. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A 2017 Thread Ron
    But good to see you Welcoming People anyway LOL
    cHEERS
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Susan. Hoping you see my first reply to your questions about our grandfather Robert Osborne. I will look out all service paperwork etc.

Marian

15. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Marion, Susan has not been on site since 25th March 2017. You may find it more convienient and rewarding to E Mail her with your news. Just click on her name on the top left of Post 1 and a menu will open which gives you the opportunity to E Mail her which hopefully should then receive her attention. Hope this helps.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

17. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast