Likes (Received)

on port new plymouth about 68---70 sailed from glasgo

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-A View Post
    Hi Bill
    I have not been on this web very long iam still finding my way around but i am pleased to find out of all the port boats mentioned on the port line web that someone apart from me had shipped out on the SYDNEY i was on her in the early part of the 1960 [ GOOD FEEDER]

MICK-A
    A belated welcome to the site, I also did a trip on the Sydney in 1970,the Bosun was Hugh McNiven ,not a great ship IMO,also did a 9monther,on the Alfred,in 68--69 on the Crusader run,Magic.My last Port Boat was the Port Auckland,2 trips 74-75,Bloody brilliant,the Bosun was Stu Baxter,have been in touch with a couple of Guys,we had our own Rock Band on her,yes it was the 70's,cheers

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Any you guys sail with Gus Gillies? He was deckie on Port Melbourne and was on Port Adelaide when she went to breakers. Sailed with him in 1973 and still in contact with him. Cheers Aussie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Port LineH

Hi Bill, Mick-A, Darrell & Four Bells....I was also on the Port Sydney in 1957. I joined her as Deck-Boy, my second ship and first time 'deep sea'. Outward bound to N.Z. I was given the Peggy's job. My lasting memory of that was the daily task of scrubbing the light-coloured deck of the sailors and greasers cafeteria (messrooms) at 9am. each day. By 10am the deck was pristine. By 11am., after they had all had their 'smoko' the decks were filthy once again, and that's how they remained until the next day when I repeated the process. At the time I thought it was a wasted exercise, but had enough sense to keep my opinions to myself. As previously mentioned by some of you, most of the A.B's. were from Stornaway, Morrison's, MacLeods etc., and there was another very nice Scot from Inverness whose name I can't recall. He was the unofficial ship's barber but did not charge the deckboys or O/S for his services. He believed that we could ill afford it and how right he was. I The only A.B. whose name I remember is Johnny Tardeval from the Channel Islands.S My lasting impression is that they were all fine seamen. Four Bells, your mention of Hughie McNiven reminded me that in my time on the Sydney he was the Lamptrimmer. My D/Book shows that the master was Capt.Lawrey. I did one trip deep sea on her and after returning to the U.K. went 'round the land' for about a fortnight. On reflection I realise that she was a good feeder (lovely tabnabs) and the accomodation was well appointed for it's time, but of course she was only 2 years old when I sailed in her. Recently I was astounded to learn that many years later she was virtually dismantled, leaving only the hull and engines, and converted into a cruise liner. I believe she is still afloat, but awaiting a decision regarding her future as we speak.........................Best wishes to all you old Port Line crewmen, Roger.
    Last edited by Roger Dyer; 22nd July 2010 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Sentence added

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Ex Port Line

G-day Roger, there's a few ex Port Line and Shaw Sav, Blue Star cowboys going to meet up in Sydney in Sept,
    I later caught up with Hughie Mac when he was on a Act or Blue Star Boat,in the Panama Canal.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Port line

Hi wilky, how yer creeping,
    i signed on the port denison dec 1962 a.b. Full crowd of hulligans and me from the goole pool. Hull london,caribean islands, u.s. Portland maine,newport news,
    savanna. Then panama canal to oz. Did all the usual ports there including a 16 day dockers strike in sydney. After that loaded all round the new zealand coast and home via
    panama takeing bunkers at curraso. Payed off hull july 1963. Good ship, good trip, good time. The port denison was on permant charter and was owned, i think, by robertsons of
    glasgow. Her name when built was vimeria, i wander does anyone out there know what became of her. O yes i remember my years at sea and the good shipmates i met. I would not have swopped that time for anything. Now at 68 i just say with a smile,( ah but there was a
    time) one greate adventure.
    Keep on paddleing,
    tom aber. :d:d

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default port napier

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Wilcox View Post
    Hi All. I was with Port Line for a number of years from leaving the Vindi in April 64and joining the Port Pirie. Then Port Auckland, Port Macqurie, Port Nicholson. Port Wellington. Port Napier, Port Invercargill twice (Suez), Port New Plymouth. Port Victor. I was in the catering Dept starting as Galley Boy and finishing as 2nd Steward. I have never met anyone that sailed with me. If anyone out there can remember me, please get in touch.Take care....Terry
    hi Terry I left the Vindi Aug 64 and joined the Port Napier in Wallsend where I live done a run job 5/sept to victoria docks stayed with her till april 67 done 6 deep sea trips 3 as catering boy [engineers boy]then engineers steward.When where you on board?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hey!

G.S.S. 30-11-53 to 15-1-54.

First tripper Catering boy, Eng. Mess Port Jackson 9-2-54 to 6-6-54.

Port Townsville. Catering boy Home Trade 30-7-54 to 5-8-54.

Port Townsville Catering boy Deep Sea 18-8-54 to 1-8-55.

Best wishes Rodney.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Port Napier

Quote Originally Posted by tom baker View Post
    hi Terry I left the Vindi Aug 64 and joined the Port Napier in Wallsend where I live done a run job 5/sept to victoria docks stayed with her till april 67 done 6 deep sea trips 3 as catering boy [engineers boy]then engineers steward.When where you on board?
    Hi Tom. I was working- by the Port Napier in March 1968, as an Asst/Stwd. Loved that ship. take care.... Terry.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Darell, I'm Phil Hughes, ex-Vindi & ex-Port Line. I sailed on a few Port Boats starting with the Napier, Auckland, Lincoln & New Plymouth between 1960 / 62 on deck. I, along with many other deck department members, well remember a Port Line Bosun by the name of "Lofty" Kellett, for many reasons. Are you related by any chance?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast